Ghost brackets and bags - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Ghost brackets and bags

Hello all. I went to the International Motorcycle show this weekend in D.C. and they had a Vulcan area. The 900 custom had a quick release set up for the saddle bags and I really liked the look. A gentlemen who was there told me about Ghost brackets and bags he had and said he loved the set up. He mentioned the bags, when off the bike, could be connected and used like luggage. Unfortunately I didn't get all the details from him at the time. So (**NOOB ALERT**) I don't know the first thing about finding this stuff. I've located the Ghost brackets online but I can't seem to find the bags he was talking about. And really, I don't know if all bags will work with the Ghost brackets or any quick release system. Do all bags work?

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have a quick release system for their bags and do you know what bags I'm talking about? I really like the non-throwover look but I'm really hesitant to buy anything online because based on descriptions I don't know if it will work or look right. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Chris
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 PM

There are a bunch of guys on here with them i dont have them and prob wont wind up getting then due to there price they are between 130-150 as for the bags from what i've read you can mount them to all diff typs of bags .... the idea behind the brackets are the easily ability to remove the bags from the bike they simply slide on and lock in place. the main bracket is mounted to the bag and only a sloted dowl remains on the bike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM

The Ghost Bracket site sell a bag called "Edge". This may be what your contact was talking about.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Top Contributor

I put Easy brackets (very similar to ghost brackets) on my husband's VTX with a bag from chilhowee ( www.chilhowee.net).

ALmost ALL motorcycle leather bag mfgrs will sell a bag intended to be mounted to a bracket like ghost brackets or EZ brackets. There must be hundreds...maybe thousands ...on the web that will work with these brackets. Most sites that sell motorcycle bags also offer one of these brackets...and indicate which bags are firm sided enough to be mounted that way.

I would not try it with throwover style bags...the kind with a leather strap over the fender to hold them up....as the sides may be too weak to avoid sagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruggsc View Post
Hello all. I went to the International Motorcycle show this weekend in D.C. and they had a Vulcan area. The 900 custom had a quick release set up for the saddle bags and I really liked the look. A gentlemen who was there told me about Ghost brackets and bags he had and said he loved the set up. He mentioned the bags, when off the bike, could be connected and used like luggage. Unfortunately I didn't get all the details from him at the time. So (**NOOB ALERT**) I don't know the first thing about finding this stuff. I've located the Ghost brackets online but I can't seem to find the bags he was talking about. And really, I don't know if all bags will work with the Ghost brackets or any quick release system. Do all bags work?

So, I guess my question is, does anyone have a quick release system for their bags and do you know what bags I'm talking about? I really like the non-throwover look but I'm really hesitant to buy anything online because based on descriptions I don't know if it will work or look right. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Top Contributor

I have the Ghost Brackets and love them. If you check the Bike of the Month entries, you can see my ride with and without the bags (no hint here don't cha know!!!). I have no idea how he may have connected them, but would like to know. If a set of saddle bags fit your bike, they can be used with the Ghost Brackets, be they hard or soft. The nicest part is being able to quickly and easily remove the bags and easily clean the rear wheel and other areas of the bike much more easily. There's lots of sites on line that sell them so their easy to find. Good luck with finding the bags you want along with the brackets. BTW, with the GB's, the bags are locked onto the bike.

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor

you, uh, clean your rear wheel?? LOL...well there is your problem man !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
I have the Ghost Brackets and love them. If you check the Bike of the Month entries, you can see my ride with and without the bags (no hint here don't cha know!!!). I have no idea how he may have connected them, but would like to know. If a set of saddle bags fit your bike, they can be used with the Ghost Brackets, be they hard or soft. The nicest part is being able to quickly and easily remove the bags and easily clean the rear wheel and other areas of the bike much more easily. There's lots of sites on line that sell them so their easy to find. Good luck with finding the bags you want along with the brackets. BTW, with the GB's, the bags are locked onto the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post
I would not try it with throwover style bags...the kind with a leather strap over the fender to hold them up....as the sides may be too weak to avoid sagging.
I noticed my Saddlemen teardrops were sagging a bit, so I got some small (approx. 10"x12") plastic 1/4" thick cutting boards and cut them to fit the back of the bags. I bolted them to the bags and no more sag! There are a couple pics here. https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4481

You can't see the backs of the bags, but you can see there's no sag.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the info. Rollingbones, I had already voted before I posted this but I think I voted for the right bike I like your set up, it's what I'm looking for. So, what I'm hearing is stay away from the throw over bags because the tend to sag and that pretty much any bag will work with the ghost brackets. I think what I'm going to do is go ahead and order the brackets and then do some looking around at local shops for the bags. I would like to see and hold the bags before I buy them. They seem to be expensive and I want to make sure they have what I need and the size is right before I go ordering them.

Thanks again for the responses...if anyone knows of some "must have" bags let me know.

Chris
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Top Contributor

yep...that is a good trick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
I noticed my Saddlemen teardrops were sagging a bit, so I got some small (approx. 10"x12") plastic 1/4" thick cutting boards and cut them to fit the back of the bags. I bolted them to the bags and no more sag! There are a couple pics here. https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4481

You can't see the backs of the bags, but you can see there's no sag.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Top Contributor

Like I said, I've got the Saddlemen teardrops and I like them a lot, especially now that I've reinforced the backs. But if I was going to do it again, I'd seriously look at some hard bags. They're not a s expensive as you might think and most of them can be mounted with the same quick release system.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode