Kawi Stock vs Gel Seats? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Kawi Stock vs Gel Seats?

I searched the forum for posts comparing the stock seat for the 900 and the gel seat that Kawi offers but nothing came up speaking directly to that. Lots of info on the Mustang seats but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.

I would consider buying the Kawi gel seat, though, if it really makes a significant difference in long-time-in-the-saddle comfort.

Has anyone used both the OEM seat and the Kawi gel seat for long enough to offer a reasonable comparison between them?

Thanks!!

bc

Mine: 2009 Vulcan 900 LT (did own a 2006 LT before this one)
Wife's: 2006 Vulcan 900 LT
Best bike ever: Vulcan 900 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc View Post
Has anyone used both the OEM seat and the Kawi gel seat for long enough to offer a reasonable comparison between them?
bc
It didn't take long to get tired of the OEM seat. I got the Kawi gel with flame stitching. Great improvement. I have not tried the Mustang or any others

Pics on my photobucket page
http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/s...009/?start=all

John K. VROC #29984

08 900 Classic
Flame stitch gel seat
MC Enterprises Engine Guard
Airlite Engine Guard Chaps
Kuryakyn - Flame grips, Stiletto End Caps, Flamed Floorboard covers, Flamin' Pegs
Webslinger speedo face
Memphis Shades Batwing w/9" Gradient black w/s
Mutazu RS Hard bags
Fuggin Flex series pipes
Home built Flame sissy bar/luggage rack
Spike Axle covers, front
Custom World Chrome Air Deflectors
K&N Air Filter
Scootworks front pulley
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 PM

this is what i did:
http://meancitycycles.com/motorcycle...ifications.php

I did the memory foam mod to the stock seat, only cost me about $140 and it beats even the gel seat.

Darkside 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom debadged
Metallic Diablo Black
HK 2 into 1 Sideburner
Baron's BAK
Cobra fi2000r EFI Tuner
Cobra Short Sissybar
Scootworks Front Pulley
GenMar Risers

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Top Contributor

I have the gel flame on my Custom. Still have to stop every hour in addition to taking a handfull of Motrin before and during long trips.

2007 Custom
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 AM

I still have the stock seat, but I've ridden a friend's bike that has the gel seat enough to know that I won't waist my money buying one. I read somewhere that the only "gel" in it a small 4"-5" circle right in the center of the seat. The rest is stock cushion. And I believe it. I've been wanting to do the memory foam from Mean City Cycles, but I REALLY want to spend a couple of hours on it before I buy.

09 900 Vulcan Custom Special Edition
09 500 Vulcan Lt (wife's bike)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Kawi Gel Seat vs. OEM

I put my gel seat on last year the day before a 2400 mile vacation, passenger insisted on a better seat, she loves it but I think with any seat we would still need to stop and do, every hour and half or so. But it does allow us to ride more miles in a day. I like the deep seat and low back support. I may do a mod this winter by stripping the cover and cutting out some foam to be replaced with memory foam or a softer foam. It hasn't been off since that trip and have made many more since then. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc View Post
I searched the forum for posts comparing the stock seat for the 900 and the gel seat that Kawi offers but nothing came up speaking directly to that. Lots of info on the Mustang seats but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.

Thanks!!

bc
As one ages, one's priorities tend to change. I've been in the position of believing that a comfortable seat costs more than what I'm willing to pay... until recently. Laying out the scratch for a comfy seat is in my mind an abosolute must if I'm going to ride (10K miles in 9 months). The day will come when you will agree. I could never pay a lot of moola to ride and not enjoy it to the nines!!! This is why I'm currently on a Russell Day Long...mmmmmmmm...comfy!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 PM

BC,

I started off with the stock Kawi seat then went with the Kawi Studded Gel Seat and did a 3500 mile trip this summer on the gel seat and discovered that it was better than the stock but I still did not like it. I then switched over to the Mustang and it is significantly better but still not there for me.

As someone else has said on other post. You will have as many opinions on seat choice as you have people riding. I think it comes down to your size (weight and butt width).

I am heavy and wide so I found that the Kawi Gel was uncomfortable after a long trip and the Mustang is more comfortable because it is wider. I have friends that are Skinny (B*st*rds) and they love the Gel seat.

My $0.02 worth.

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Cheers,

Crooksie
2006 900LT (Black & Red)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Top Contributor

How about trying an Airhawk cushion. I have one and like it.

GeorgiaRider
2006 Vulcan 500

Saddlemen Cruis'n Large Slant Saddlebags
Kuryakyan Foot Peg Extenders and Pegs
Kuryakyan Iso-Grips and Throttle Boss
Memphis Shades Alley Cat Windshield
Powersports Mini-Tachometer
Kawasaki Luggage Rack
Airhawk cushion
Marlin's Clock
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Top Contributor

I ponied up for a Corbin seat. It was expensive, but it has a detachable backrest that goes in either the driver or passenger position. It has memory foam and it is very comfy, plus you can pick the cover material/color (I got tan leather with an alligator print).

I haven't regretted it once.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode