Risers for Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Risers for Custom

Hello,

I have only found one choice for risers for the Custom. Those are from Scootworks. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also still looking for suggestions for a tailbag. I have the Saddlemen teardrop saddlebags. I do not have a sissy bar or luggage rack. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Top Contributor

Check some old threads. A 19mm socket from Sears is a perfect fit. I have the Scootworks risers and they're too tall...took them off.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Baitis,

I'm not sure how the socket would work. It's my understanding that the bars have a threaded stud which is secured to the bike by a nut. Also, if the risers you haave are the ones that are either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4", are you interested in selling them? You could send a PM if so. Thanks.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

I believe the tee bar studs are a permanent part of the bars and are just long enough to extend through the triple for the nut to screw on. I just put my stock tee bars back on.

I have a set of stock Kawasaki risers if anyone is interested in buying them. They are the same for most of the 2000 and up Kawasaki models.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Hello,

I have only found one choice for risers for the Custom. Those are from Scootworks. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also still looking for suggestions for a tailbag. I have the Saddlemen teardrop saddlebags. I do not have a sissy bar or luggage rack. Thanks for any advice.
Have you checked at CruiserCustomizing? They list some for the Custom. Might check it out. Good Luck.

EAGLE-ONE313
LoneRider
--------------------------------
07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra Engine Guard
Cobra Lightbar
Kawasaki Windscreens
Front Fender Trim Rail
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Baitis,

I'm not sure how the socket would work. It's my understanding that the bars have a threaded stud which is secured to the bike by a nut. Also, if the risers you haave are the ones that are either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4", are you interested in selling them? You could send a PM if so. Thanks.
The risers are 3". I got them cuz on sharp turns I have a tendency to pull the bars out of my hand - need longer arms. The 3" worked good but is downright ugly. When using a 3/8" drive socket as a riser unscrew the stud from the bars and get longer grade 8 bolts.

2007 Custom

Last edited by 1945; 12-17-2009 at 05:39 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM

I use these on my custom and it works quite well. By Genmar.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Baitis,

While I haven't taken my bars off, I called a dealer and they said that the studs are welded to the plates that are then welded to the bottom of the bars. Have you actually unscrewed those studs and used the sockets or are you theorizing (as I did) that the studs are threaded into the little plates?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Top Contributor

SB, sorry I was working from an experience 2 years ago. My bars do have studs and they screwed in to the extensions which bolt from underneath. I can't be positive but I thought my studs were loose in the bars, not welded. I checked the site where I got the idea and the threads showed aftermarket bars and clamps. It only takes 5 minutes to remove the nuts and pull off the bars off to check. Cover the gas tank. I tend to think the stud isn't welded since it would probably change the properties of the Grade 8 studs. Wish I could remember but somethings I just don't commit to memory.

"OK, so I'm a tightwad. But, thanks to a tip I heard here, I got some risers on my 900 for under 20 bucks. I picked up 2 19mm deep sockets at Sears. They had two lengths, I got the shorter ones. (Please note that ACE hardware sockets have a too-narrow hole to pass the bolts through. I tried.) I then went to Home Depot and got two 3/8ths by 5'' grade 8 bolts. I also had to get lock washers and nuts. I had originally planned to get metric bolts and reuse the factory nuts, but they weren't long enough, and the heads were much too big to fit in the handlebar clamps. It took about 2 hours, including the shopping. I spent about $15 at Sears and $4 at Home Depot. The pictures are a little blurry, I think it's all that shiny chrome. But at least the riding position is a lot more comfortable."

2007 Custom
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

If you can get to this link and scroll down there is a post by Nedley that will give you probably more info than you ever wanted. I did this on my 900 Classic, no idea why it wouldn't work on a Custom.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...s-cheap-3.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode