Usable mirrors - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Usable mirrors

Hi all,

I'm a new rider and graduated from my neighborhood to riding around town. One thing I noticed though is that I can't really use the sideview mirrors that come with the bike. No matter how I adjust them, they don't seem to be able to see anything without me ducking down or moving my shoulder. And even then I barely see the car behind me or on the side of me. They don't seem to extend far enough to the left or the right. I need to see to feel comfortable, even though I try to check manually before turning or changing lanes.

1. Am I just not adjusting them right or do you guys have this problem too? Even if it's poor adjustment, it doesn't seem like my adjustment would stay with the wind and stuff...there's nothing "locking" the adjustment in place.

2. Are there other mirrors that would extend farther to the left and right? It seems like it would make sense if they were on the end of the handbar grips heh..not sure if that would look good though.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 AM

Garage
I've actually been fairly happy with the rear view provided by the stock mirrors. Are your mirrors still stock or have they already been "upgraded" to something different? One thing you could try is a convex mirror that shows the wide-angle view, but these have the "Objects Are Closer Than They Appear" syndrome. I personally don't like those as much as they are a little harder to judge distance in them (At least on a car you generally only have that on the one side). Maybe something like these?

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply and the link. I may not be a doing a good job adjusting them. I think I will give another go at adjusting them. I'm with you though. I don't think I would like the convex mirrors. Maybe I'm just too dang wide heh.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I don't have any problem with the stock mirrors working for me. I set the right one so that i can just barely see my right sleeve and down the road behind me (like a car rear-view mirror). The left one i set to look into the left lane so that when an approaching car starts to leave the mirror, my peripheral vision picks it up.
Saying that, however, i never trust my mirrors. Always turn your head to look and verify what's going on before changing lanes. Cages don't see you, you HAVE to see them.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Top Contributor

I have been pleased with the stock mirrors. When I first got the bike I had back pain due to the fact that the handle bars had been twisted as low as possible without hitting the tank at full turn. I loosened the riser bolts to twist the bars up which helped tremendously. But then my mirrors were viewing the birds. I had to loosen the brackets where the mirrors mount to the handle bars as well as the ring nut where the rod attaches to get the mirrors back in line. Hope this helps.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM

I have the same problem on my 500. If I sit up straight, as I normally do, all I can see in the mirrors are my shoulders. If I adjust them far enough outward I can see to the sides, but lose anything directly behind me.

I am going to try a set of Kuryakyn Magnum's after Christmas. I haven't decided on flat or convex yet, but I am leaning to convex on the theory that seeing more can't be a bad thing, even if it is a little smaller. You have to buy an adapter for the Kury's but that should only help as they raise the mirrors a bit more.

Risers help too. I have a pair, but I have to do some cable adjusting before they will fit.

Randy
Nothing says COOL like a fat old man on a motorcycle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM

You've obviously never owned a sportbike. You can't see sh*t behind you on most of 'em!

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Top Contributor

Are your stock mirrors flat or convex? My '09 Classic has convex mirrors and I don't like them. I can't tell how far behind me things are. It also seems like cars are coming up a lot faster than they are, sometimes even when they're not coming up at all! I want to try some flat ones.

I do like the size & shape of the stock mirrors, and the fact that they stay put.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Mirrors on bikes is just another chrome item to accessorize with. I have yet to find any that work very well. I've gotten into the habit of looking in the mirror to see if any blurry object is there then turn my head and look back.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM

I bought a new set of mirrors for 900 custom when I changed the tee bars to classic bars. The stock mirrors were to short and I couldn't adjust them enough to see anything. The mirrors I bought screw directly into the Kawasaki controls but since it's designed universal the mirror has a set screw to move up and down along the mirror shaft. It give you great adjustability. I bought a new bike and put all the stock equipment back on before I sell bike in spring. If you are intereseted I'll sell the mirrors for $15 for the pair plus shipping. The are in excellent condition. Here's some links for what they look. The first link shows mirrors on my bike (Candy Plasma Blue Custom), on the first picture you'll see that the mirror can move up and out quite a bit more. The second link is from the J&P catalog, except I got the ones without the "Kawasaki" on the bottom of the mirror.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4149

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/Produ...sults=10&Nao=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode