Gloves for WInter Riding - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Gloves for WInter Riding

What gloves are best for riding in the cold, my leather gloves are great for most of the year in SoCal but the fall and winter months actually get cold in the mornings and the wind chill cuts right through and numbs my finger tips. I've tried several types and the "cold weather" gloves are generally too bulky and can't feel the grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have these. http://www.dcglove.com/productinfo.a...oductid=2151-H
They are pretty good. Only problem is the cuff of the glove is too short. I got them at a local store. I might try to find out if they have some that are more of a gauntlet style. What I like is that they aren't too bulky, and constrict range of movement. But these don't. I have rode in 30 degree and colder weather and been okay. I don't see that being much of a problem in Temecula. (Did I mention that I hate you, SoCal rider complaining about the cold...)

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

what can I say, I'm spoiled, 35-40 in the morning and 75 by mid day, gotta love it

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM

I am practically in the same weather scooter and I just went and bought some glove liners at the local HD store. They were $10 and fit under my normal riding gloves perfectly. I don't hardly notice I have them on while riding. My finger tips still get cold on some mornings (35 degrees), but they don't get as cold as quickly and it is more tolerable. Since I will be moving to the Northeast next year where they actually have winters, I am looking at purchasing some heated glove liners.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I just saw these posted on the 750 site. http://www.brookstone.com/heated-glo...st1FDT|6926593
They look about the same as the ones I mentioned, but with POWER.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

Last edited by Jace Bror; 12-04-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Bad link
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 AM

Garage
Oh, I wanted to see what those gloves were eLi, but when I followed the link I got a "Page Not Found".

I saw a pair of good looking winter gloves at the Harley store for something like $60. I might have bought them, but like so much of the merchandise there, it's all Harley branded stuff and while I have nothing specifically against H-D stuff, it seems weird wearing Harley gear on a metric bike. The 900 is a bit unashamedly styled in the H-D tradition, so I don't want to look like another wannabe on there either.

My current set of gloves have served me well, but are starting to wear and fray a bit. I've gotten good deals and service before at NewEnough.com so maybe I'll start checking there again over the long, cold lonely winter.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Try this link. I fixed the last post too. http://www.brookstone.com/heated-glo...st1FDT|6926593

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Top Contributor

I have ActivHeat glove liners similar to the brookstone.... and they work great under my normal gauntlets if I power them from the bike. If I use the battery pack they last about 30 minutes and shut off on low voltage.

I dont think the Brookstone comes with an accessory power adapter?? but if it does it might be a good solution on a bike. www.activheat.com has a set like mine that will power from the bike and are made to go under gauntlets well.
I recommend them.

Last edited by Tallannie; 12-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 AM

Garage
Those Brookstone liners sure look nice, but also get some very mixed reviews... some said they work great, some say not at all and didn't like the awkwardness of the battery pack. Plus you could go through an awful lot of batteries. The recommended lithium batteries are spendy ($2 - $3 per battery and you need 6 of 'em).

I do like the look of those ones from the activheat site. The power adapter would be a big plus. I'm not sure how I would feel about being tethered to the bike like that, but would be very reliable warmth (although it looks like the 12V power adapter is currently out-of-stock in their store right now). Where did you mount your 12V power outlet on the bike? Do you find the power cable ever gets in the way?

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Top Contributor

Exactly. the activheat ones have a battery pack and ...yes...it cost $12 for 30 min of heat...LOL.

If you get their power adapter it has a male 'cigarette lighter ' style end on it. I cut that off and put crimp on lugs on the leads instead. I attached those directly to the battery and velcroed the connector end out from under my seat forward near the gas tank. Very short lead ( and yes, I WILL go back and insert a fuse...)

The other end of the former cigarette lead has a nice small covered socket style connector on it. To connect to the battery is simple now that the lead is right there near the inside of my right leg....about an inch from where the lanyard end is dangling as I sit on the seat. Occasionally as I get off the bike I forget to disconnect but it just pulls apart with no damage.

The cable lanyard works well...you simply hold the ends while you slip on your jacket... couldnt be easier.

The control button thingie is a bit hard to reach while in use since it is on the lanyard and inside your jacket.....but I just leave the gloves on the middle setting and that seems to work great. on High, it literally gets too hot.

Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestLake_900LT View Post
Those Brookstone liners sure look nice, but also get some very mixed reviews... some said they work great, some say not at all and didn't like the awkwardness of the battery pack. Plus you could go through an awful lot of batteries. The recommended lithium batteries are spendy ($2 - $3 per battery and you need 6 of 'em).

I do like the look of those ones from the activheat site. The power adapter would be a big plus. I'm not sure how I would feel about being tethered to the bike like that, but would be very reliable warmth (although it looks like the 12V power adapter is currently out-of-stock in their store right now). Where did you mount your 12V power outlet on the bike? Do you find the power cable ever gets in the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode