How Should I Winterize My Bike? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Question How Should I Winterize My Bike?

Last winter I purchased one of those of do it yourself winterizing kits from Autozone and it was a pile of garbage.

So I come to you guys to see how best to winterize the bike as she lays in sleep this long cold winter.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Fill the tank, put StaBil into it. I pull my battery and rotate it through a trickle charger with my other batteries that i pulled for the winter. At any rate, you want to keep the battery charged until you're ready to ride again.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Make sure tank is full, add Stabil and run bike to ensure the treated fuel gets all through the system. I also take my battery inside and have it on a tender. Oh, and of course, cry, piss and moan till spring!

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I have the bike in the back of the garage, about the warmest part of it. I am going to get some new stabil as I think the stuff I used last year has gone to crap. As far as pulling the batt, would staring and let it run for a while each week or every other week work as well? That is what I am planning on doing with my other small IC engines.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
I have the bike in the back of the garage, about the warmest part of it. I am going to get some new stabil as I think the stuff I used last year has gone to crap. As far as pulling the batt, would staring and let it run for a while each week or every other week work as well? That is what I am planning on doing with my other small IC engines.
Opinions differ on this but Short runs IMO will throw water in the pipes and if you do not get the bike real hot to burn it off, that water could produce rust. Also I doubt a short run would charge that cold batt like a nice tender in the warm basement. One more thing I do is put a large sheet of plywood under the bike to park on.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Top Contributor

I did the Stabil thing, but I just hooked the Battery Tender up with the battery in the bike (in the garage). It's got an adapter that mounts to the battery and I mounted the other end so it sticks out just under the seat. That way if it gets warm enough I can just take the bike cover off, disconnect the charger and go!

I also took the saddlebags and Corbin seat off and put the stock seat back on. I conditioned the seat and bags and put them in the basement.

I noticed both of the earlier posters are in MN, where a warm spell is less likely and colder temps would mean that bringing the battery inside might be a good idea. I'm in Omaha and it's not unusual to get a nice indian summer somewhere along the line.

The plywood under the tires is a good idea. I'll have to do that.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

Last edited by Bill Braske; 12-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

I will have to clear out a space in my small finished basement then for the batt. The other small IC engines will have to sit in the cold. lol

And I like the idea of the the boards under the bike.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
I noticed both of the earlier posters are in MN, where a warm spell is less likely and colder temps would mean that bringing the battery inside might be a good idea.
Colder temps is right... i look forward to when it warms up to 0įF. The reason i pull my batteries is because i winterize two bikes, a riding lawnmower, a camper, a boat, and a sportscar. I put all my batteries into a central location and rotate them through the trickle charger.

I'd agree with Nomad about the short running times to charge the battery. I'd be a little dubious about the benefits and concerned about ill effects.

I'm assuming that the plywood is for keeping the tires off the dirt? I'm in the garage on cement so i don't see the necessity for that.

As far as the StaBil is concerned, i put it in at the gas station when i fill my tank. It gets mixed up well that way and the 2-mile ride home puts it through the system. Since my 900 is injected, i don't worry about it; but my Spirit has carbs and i run them dry before storage.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 12-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Top Contributor

Here in mid state NY I add Seafoam and top off the tank run it through the system then home. Change the oil, park it on some rubber mats, take the battery indoors put it on a float charger, take the air filter off seal the throttle body intake and leave the cover off so my mice friends can't make a nest, plug the tail pipes and throw the cover over it ......
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Well mice aren't an issue in my garage. Good thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode