It was my fault! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

It was my fault!

Okay, so I got distracted. The Friday before Thanksgiving, I was headed to meet my wife & son at his daycare (her work). Some fella was cutting grass along the front of a subdivision and shooting it out across the road. Traffic was slow and really busy. I was paying to much attention to the lawn mower and when I looked up the little Chevy work truck in front of me had stopped. I grabbed everything but I knew it was already to late. The front and rear locked up and I figure I hit his rear bumper at about 20mph. I remember the impact. I'm a little fuzzy between there and the ground. I remember hitting the ground, rolling on my back and feeling the helmet smack the pavement. You have no idea how good a feeling it is to feel the helmet hit the pavement and be able to think... Wow! That would have really hurt bare-headed! The guy behind me came over and said a quick prayer while I layed there a minute trying to decide if my shoulder was actually broken and did some quick calculations of how much money I had just cost my family. After all the police work was done I had to get back on the bike and ride it another 1/2 mile to the day care. That hurt.

When it was all over, I didn't get a ticket, the guy I hit said he wasn't worried about the few extra scratches on his bumper, I just tore some ligaments in my shoulder, and the bike is not a total loss. I was even able to go to the beach on vacation the next day with my family as we had planned. Those hot tubs at the hotels are wonderful. They say in about 4-6 weeks my shoulder should be fine. I have thanked God many times this week for protecting me. It could have been much worse.

As for the bike, I need a new front fender & bracket, new turn signal assembly, new head light jug and ring (bulb is okay), and new chrome covers for the forks. The Cobra engine guards and exhaust are just scratched. Luckily I work at a place that will allow me to get them re-chromed for free.

Now for a few questions. I intend to repair her myself since there seems to be no frame or fork damage. Mainly chrome and covers.
1 - Where is the best place to buy replacement OEM Kawi parts?
2 - Is it cheaper to get aftermarket parts?
3 - Is there some place to get used OEM parts?
4 - Any other advice from you folks who have done this before.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM

Glad to hear you are OK.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Garage
Just an FYI!! You need to replace your helmet. Helmets are like seatbelts in cars, car seats for kids and in my business, turn out gear for fireman. They are designed to work only 1 time. Any repeated blows could result in the helmet not working like it should. Not many people put much thought into replacing protective equipment if it does not appear to be damaged.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsunbelt View Post
Just an FYI!! You need to replace your helmet.
That is great advice. Regardless of an accident, I was told that you are also supposed to replace your helmet every 3 years (from manufactured date if you want to be nit picky) because the compound inside the helmet that protects you actually breaks down over time and gets more stiff.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Garage
Hey JP -- glad you're otherwise okay! Much better to read the story firsthand than from a relative trying to post on your behalf. I did a similar thing on my very first bike about 7-8 years ago. Little Yamaha XS400 Special... riding home from work... Friday the 13th... slow moving traffic, looked down for a sec and looked up to find the utility truck in front of me had stopped. Bike went down slowly to the right and broke the rear brake lever. Had to limp home on just the front brake.

But glad you're going be fine! But to try and answer at least one of your questions...

I've noticed through eBay a merchant called Kawasaki-Sickness that seems to have a lot of OEM stuff at about 80% of Kaw's cost. You might have a look there. Rest up!

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Top Contributor

You might check out this site:

www.kawasakipartsnation.com

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Dang, Jeep, a harrowing experience; i'm glad you came through it ok. What a relief your light bulb didn't get broke, huh? LOL.
As far as parts, you might check out some junkyards too, you can get nice parts for much less than new if you look around.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thanks for all the well wishes and advise. I found out today that Willie & Max will not sell a single right hand saddle bag. Mine took a beating. They did offer me a great deal on a new pair though. Mine is not completely toast yet so I will probably fix that last. If you folks think of anything else I need to know, just post away.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Glad to hear your alright. Ebay always has lot of folks parting out 900's. Just do a search on VN900.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Yeah I agree with the other folks too. Replace your helmet. Once the protective stuff (that you can't see) gets damaged from absorbing impact, it can no longer absorb impact anymore. The absorbing materials can be damaged even though there is no apparent damage to the outside of the helmet.

I don't have any helpful information about the OEM parts. Glad to hear you are okay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode