Motorcycle Floor Jack questions & problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Motorcycle Floor Jack questions & problems

So I got this floor jack yesterday for black friday http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page
Got it for 69 bucks so I can't expect alot out of it. But normally it goes for like $110.

So the problem I am having with this lift is that doesn't seem like the platform legs are long enough to make the width of the bike frame or they are really, really close. And the space between the platforms are not wide enough to fit and not hit anything. Either it is hitting the engine oil pan or it is going to hit the suspension knuckle (which still has all 3 zerts, shockingly enough). So is this just maybe this jack in particular or is this just a problem with this bike?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Top Contributor

You may need some "help" in the form of some 2x4 pieces to use as spacers. I've had my 900 lifted using a PitBull lift and the mechanic used spacers with it. I consider the PitBull the Cadillac of lifts even though they're pricey. If your lift has eyelets for tying down your bike, I recommend you use them and strap it down just to be sure.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 AM

I bought a Larin floorjack and had the same problem (also got it on sale for $69). After looking at a number of different jacks and they all had about the same width I figured I would just modify the one I bought to make it work. The struts that catch the bottom of the frame need to be at least ~13-3/4", most of the jacks I looked at were about ~13" wide. The front is a little narrower than the back of the frame, I actually had to modify my design because I only measured width of frame in the front.

I went to a little more trouble than using 2x4's, I machined some aluminum blocks to give me the extra length and offset to clear the oil pan. I had to remove the tie down eyelets for the extensions, but I machined in a lip at the end of the block I fabricated so the frame couldn't easily slip off the end of the strut.

I think you may be able to find a jack that has the width but you will still have to have some spacers to clear the oil pan because it sticks down lower than the frame. I found one that had the right width but cost ~$350, so that was not an option for me.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
So I got this floor jack yesterday for black friday http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page
Got it for 69 bucks so I can't expect alot out of it. But normally it goes for like $110.

So the problem I am having with this lift is that doesn't seem like the platform legs are long enough to make the width of the bike frame or they are really, really close. And the space between the platforms are not wide enough to fit and not hit anything. Either it is hitting the engine oil pan or it is going to hit the suspension knuckle (which still has all 3 zerts, shockingly enough). So is this just maybe this jack in particular or is this just a problem with this bike?
I know it's pricey but just pointing it out...

Adaptor

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
That adapter is actually a Larin product. I doubt it would work on our bike and the jack I have. Cuz this jack doesn't go down as far as the Larin does. Even when I got it to work (barely) after I lowered the bike I couldn't get it down all the way enough to remove the jack, I had to jockey it around a bit.

But the link that ********* provided, the price for the jack with adaptor aint bad, $169. But you have to pay for shippin which is like 11 bucks. But I like that it has out riggers on the jack. Seems pretty stable.

I found that ONCYCLES.com has this jack with the adaptor for $160 and free shipping. http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?r=1&pn=MCS00255 I think I will be returning this piece of crap and getting that one.

rs900c did you get yours at blaine farm and fleet? Other then the fitment is it a decent jack?

This one (Torin) is kinda cheap, the locking arms are weird they don't lock on both sides at the same time, cuz they seemed to be tweaked. And the jack itself doen't sit flat on the floor it rocks. This is something people on the reviews mentioned.

jimbo i thought about the 2x4 but not sure it would work. It does have eyelets and I bought straps.

I would like to see some pics of how you guys are doing the spacers and where you are placing things.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

Last edited by Jace Bror; 11-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Top Contributor

I measured the frame rail spread and attached some hardwood extension blocks to the jack. I cut a notch into each block to trap the frame and to keep it centered in the blocks. Has worked very well, and took about a half hour for the mod.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
rs900c did you get yours at blaine farm and fleet? Other then the fitment is it a decent jack?
Yes, I got this from Farm & Fleet. It's decent, not top of the line, but I wouldn't say it's a piece of #hit either. The components seem to be beefy enough, their fixturing before welding and on some punched holes weren't that great. Things could have been kept more parallel and square. All of the welds look ok. It seems to work fine. It's worth the $69+ I spent.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I got mine from Sears, it's a Craftsman jack. The length of the arms are just barely long enough for my 900 and my 750 Spirit. The width might be better, but careful placement on both works for me. As far as sticking a 2x4 in there, no way... there's barely enough clearance as it is. Mind you, i have lowered both my bikes by about 2", so maybe that's the reason. Sure makes maintenance and oil changes a lot easier; don't know what i'd do without it. It comes with two tie-down straps.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
It looks likes the Craftsman and the Larin have a foot lever to lower the jack. This one I have doesn't, I had to reach all the way to the bottom to twist the lever and try to hold the bike up at the same time.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Jace, the foot lever on my Larin is only for raising. There is a square headed valve stem at the base of the jack that needs to be opened in order to lower jack. The Larin comes with a handle with square cutout that you have to place over valve stem so you don't have to reach all the way under to lower but it's still a bit akward to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode