A home made billet airbox vn9oo - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

A home made billet airbox vn9oo

Ok so here's the thing, what started the thinking on this project was, i recently had my bike serviced at the dealer, i had been thinking of making something like this so 1000km after the service i took the airbox cover off only to discover the air filter did not look as if it had been changed. Bottom line is i had words with the workshop foreman, and vowed it was the last Kawa would see of me for a service.
So i designed my own airbox complete with a new mounting plate, and it would use a standard weber carb pan type airfilter, it sounded easy enough so i bought the material which included
8" outside diameter/OD x 2 1/2" thick 6061 aluminium
8" OD x 1/2" thick 6061
1 off fram weber air filter
the first thing to do was to machine the mounting plate, which entailed facing both sides and maching a step on the forward edge to accept the cover.
I then mounted the job on my my bench top milling machine found a datum point to suit my needs and using the machines dials i proceeded to plot out all of the holes for mouting to the throttle bodies, and for boring the bores for the venturies. The boring was done with a home made boring head and the bores have a tolerence of less than 1 thou" .
I unfortunately did not take photos at this point.
The six mounting holes for the cover were simply pitched on the correct pcd on my indexing head and then drilled and tapped 6mm x 1mm.

The first photo is of the finished mounting plate after anodising it black.
The second photo is the same but with the air filter mounted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom parts for my bike 111.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1025   Click image for larger version

Name:	custom parts for my bike 110.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1026  

Last edited by Slash; 11-24-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

The airbox cover

The next step was even easier but just a bit time consuming.
I mounted the 8"x 2 1/2" chunk of ali in the 4 jaw chuck and clocked it true, then i faced both sides and turned the OD true to the mounting plated OD.
After this i took a 1 1/2" drill and drilled a holle into the cover to be, just 6mm shy of piercing the cover.
Then i bored to size with a boring bar. I managed to fill 3 black plastic dirt bags with cuttings, i left the sides and face about 6mm/ 1/4" thick.
I then turned the job around and drilled a 51mm/2" hole through the center of the cover. This will be the intake port into the airbox. It will be around this hole that the intake pipe, which is a stainless steel 90' elbow, will be mounted, and onto that the spike will be bolted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	custom parts for my bike 102.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1027   Click image for larger version

Name:	custom parts for my bike 104.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1028  

Last edited by Slash; 11-24-2009 at 12:08 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

The completed cover

The end result of the cover is displayed below, it has been anodised black with my clubs name in silver.
I am currently busy with the machining on the spike and its mounting elbow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	custom parts for my bike 108.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1029  

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Ok just a quick heads up i finished the stainless steel flanges yesterday i still have to pitch and drill the holes but its almost done, i also still have to polish the stainless elbow then weld the flanges to it, but at least i have all the bits together now
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

From one machinist to another; Beautiful craftsmanship!
Have you ever done any spinning in the lathe? Making that from a thick wafer and roll forming it over a mandrel would save tons of material and time. I can't even imagine what that chunk of aluminum would cost there, here it would be over $80.00!!

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bob Myers; 11-24-2009 at 01:07 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the compliment Bob.
Actually i have done a bit of reading on the subject of spinning but have never really had the time to tool up and give it a go. Maybe i should try sometime.
The total cost so far is about R650 Which comes to about $89, but the point is i dont earn $ so you cant think like that. To give you an idea a hypercharger would cost me about R4000 to R5000 which is half to just over half of 1 months salary. I hope that puts things in perspective, as many people can't understand why i make things myself that are readily available from the USA. Of course there is the satisfaction of a job well done, and like the grips and 12 volt socket i made as well my designs are different and so attract quite a lot of attention
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

No real store bought tooling required, make a mandrel to roll over, mount a lever on the tool post with a hard plastic skateboard wheel, the harder the better because the aluminum will get warm while you are working it. Check out this video; The art of spinning

Iron Butt Ass.#34911

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Check out the other videos on that link too, especially the hydro-forming work. That is very interesting stuff

Iron Butt Ass.#34911

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Nice job Slash, I'll be interested in seeing the finished product. It is very satisfying when you complete your own designed project and it turns out that nice.

Bob, Thanks for the website link, I am just an amateur machine operator (I won't call my self a machinist) but that web site looks to be very interesting. I'm always looking for projects and different ways to accomplish them. I've never heard of spinning before, it's like an art form.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Spinning has been around for over 100 years, Dayton Ohio formerly was known as the spinning center of the USA, not so much being done now with all the plastics and such being so easy to mold.
Look at almost any lamp that is solid one piec design and you'll see spinning work, older headlamp buckets for cars and bikes were all spun. I've done a little spinning but not enough to even say I can do it easily.

Iron Butt Ass.#34911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode