Before you relocate your crankcase breather hose... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Exclamation Before you relocate your crankcase breather hose...

I made the mod that took the breather hose out of my air box. I got tired of the little drip of oil that would run down the side of the engine cover as well as the mess every time I took off the air box cover. I bought a little $10 filter breather at Auto Zone and just fastened it to the existing hose and left it sitting between the jugs (between the coil & air box). To do this I had to cut the existing hose so that it was not so long that it crimped. Basically the hose now comes off the front jug, takes a 90 degree turn straight up and ends in the filter.

Now for the problem. Once the engine heats up, when I stop at an intersection, I get this strong hot oil smell. This may be made worse by the fact that I am using synthetic oil. I don't know, but I think synthetic probably smells more bitter than dino-oil. It is so strong a smell that I am going to have to do something about it. I may try moving the little filter under the bike and maybe forward or backward some. If that doesn't work, I am going to have to put it back where it was in the air box. At least there the intake sucks the fumes back through the exhaust.

Just thought I would let folks know about my mod that is not going so well right now. So maybe you won't have to make my mistakes. I will say that the little filter breather from Auto Zone is working well so far other than the smell. Also, the hose size on the filter and the crankcase is 1/2" in case anyone needs to buy a hose barb to fit it.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM

this is why the recommend for you to have the breather filter at the bottom of the bike. this also exposes the filter to get extremely dirty in crappy weather riding but that is what you are left with. i simply open up my air filter cover with a paper towel underneath it and periodically clean out the oil in the air box once a month, ain't no big deal at all :-)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Another way is to use a small container that has an internal baffle forcing the air to turn sharply which help separate the oil mist for the air and then allows the positive air pulse to exit through the filter and the filter cleans the incoming negative pulse thereby prevent ingestion of dirt into the engine.

Here is a link to one:

http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com...20Breather.htm

A drain on the bottom allows the oil to be drained at approprate intervals.

Ran this on other bikes, and never had oily surfaces around the breather.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 PM

that is way too much money...go to autozone or farm store..get an air/water seperator place a filter on the end..get the same result for 25 bucks..you are going to hide it anyways

2008 Candy Lime Green VN900C

Cut/DeBaffled OEM Pipes
Ram Air Mod
Lowered 2"
Saddlemen Seat
9" Apes
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Top Contributor

I routed mine up under the fuel tank and got used to the smell. The trucks in front of me take care of the smell from my bike.

2007 Custom
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up great fix that works!

make sure the hose is long enough use the filter you bought but before the filter install a T fitting and attach a clear piece of hose route the hose downward make sure you plug the hose end with something removeable your gonna have to pay attention that when the clear hose gets close to full pull the plug drain the little bit of oil and your good to go again this works or at least it has for me. its been workin for about 6000 miles anyway.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt cowboy View Post
make sure the hose is long enough use the filter you bought but before the filter install a T fitting and attach a clear piece of hose route the hose downward make sure you plug the hose end with something removeable your gonna have to pay attention that when the clear hose gets close to full pull the plug drain the little bit of oil and your good to go again this works or at least it has for me. its been workin for about 6000 miles anyway.
If you route the first few inches of the hose skyward from the crankcase it won't matter where you locate the breather and the oil will drain back to the crankcase - no periodic maintenance required. Also, you won't have to worry about the plug potentially falling out and making a mess.

2007 Custom
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM

yes i see what your saying but at higher rpms between 65-75 or higher the oil will push through the filter and the oil will seep out. the tee in line acts as catch basin for the liquid. as for the plug falling out well......anyone who will take the time to install a seperate crankcase breather and is worried about oil smell or oil all over there ride will and should take the time to make sure the "plug" is not going to "fall out"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Top Contributor

My OE hose is now only about 3" tall with a filter on top, leaving the elbow intact makes a big difference. I did a round trip run Baltimore - Syracuse with much of the time running 80+mph. Filter is still perfectly clean after two years. I just prefer no bike maintenance whenever possible. Keeping a boat maintained is enough work.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode