Japanese (JIS) screwdrivers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Japanese (JIS) screwdrivers

As we all know, the Big K is a Japanese company and all the fittings on your bike are therefore metric. Many of you probably already know this, but there is a major difference between a Japanese phillips head screwdriver and an imperial (US) phillips head. The two major differences are in the blade angles. Basically the tip of a JIS driver is shallower than that of a US version. Also the sides on an individual blade tend to taper slightly narrower on a US driver where the JIS version has them parallel. This will cause the US driver to "cam out" or slip, thus buggering up the head of the JIS screw.

So where do you get JIS screwdrivers? Not at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc. I bet that you will be hard pressed to find these drivers at any local store unless maybe they are special ordered through a bike shop. By the way, that usually gets really expensive. I have found a place online that has these drivers at good prices and free shipping. See link below.

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_ite...?subcat_ID=138
This guy is a small business in Michigan. So far his customer service has been tip-top. I ordered the short 1/4" HEX drive version for $10. I will see them in a few days.

Here are a couple other places with some other options on these drivers.
http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hojisscset4d.html

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japane...rivers/=4klb5j

I do not work for any of these companies, I just thought someone might be looking for these things. I only know of a few phillips head screws on the bike, but you really don't want to bugger up the head on one.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Hmm, interesting. I've been around industrial machining and metric stuff for over 30 years and did not make the correlation of the screwdriver thing.
So, I went out into the shop and pulled the tool kit that came with my Lathe, the kit that came with my mill and the one for my Taiwanese grinder. Yep, they are different than my Craftsman #2 and #3. Very similar in appearance until you look closely at the angle as you mentioned.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
I bought a set in the second link and use them on the bikes. Can't hurt to have the right tool.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I bought a set in the second link and use them on the bikes. Can't hurt to have the right tool.
Yeah! Back before big-K made a change, the screw holding the air filter frame in was JIS phillips. I messed it up so bad I had to use a back-out tool to remove it in the end. For a while I just used a regular philips on which I had ground the tip down a bit. This works okay, but can still cam-out a little to easily because of the side angles. I finally decided to get the real deal the other day when I had a little trouble getting out the screw holding the coil cover on.

'07 VN900 Classic
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 PM

I bought a set before I changed my airfilter after reading all the problems others had with the retaining screw.......I've since used them more than any other screwdriver working on other peoples japanese machines.......a solid investment in no stripped screwheads. I wish I had bought a set years ago!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the excellent info. I don't have any idea how many of those screws I have ruined and spent hours getting out.

Andy

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:29 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Yes, thanks from here too Jeep Pirate for the excellent "heads up" on this. I always wondered why I often had trouble removing phillips head screws on my bikes. Interesting that these are so hard to locate. I guess I can understand why Home Depot and Lowes and the rest might not carry these, but I also just did a quick search through some of the major motorcycle online suppliers... Dennis Kirk, Cruiser Customizing, J&P cycles, and none of them turned up any search results when searching on JIS screwdrivers. Heck, I'll bet even the popular Cruz Tools kits don't even have them included. I did locate some on Amazon, but they mostly look like the smaller jewelers style of screwdriver kits. I appreciate you posting those links you found.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via Skype™ to tkerrigan
Convinced me, I ordered a set.

2009 1700 Nomad two tone.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Top Contributor

I will buy a set and I will call them Phirrips head screwdrivers. I had no idea there was a difference. Thanks.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
I will buy a set and I will call them Phirrips head screwdrivers. I had no idea there was a difference. Thanks.
Ahhh sooohhh!! Prease han me daht phirrips head screw driver.
Anybody wahn an egg woll?

No. I never intend to be politically correct a day in my life. So just get over it. However, I am an equal opportunity offender. I'll laugh at any social group you name. I even enjoy laughing at big dumb rednecks like myself.

'07 VN900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode