Jockey shift a vulcan? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Jockey shift a vulcan?

i rode a few home-built bikes in Ca. and loved the jockey shift on one. Any wrenches out there who can tell me if it's possible on my '06 Vulcan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
What is a jockey shift?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Top Contributor

It's also called a suicide shift. Instead of using your left foot to shift, there's a shift knob on the left side of the tank whick links to the tranny. American Chopper has done a couple of bikes with them. The suicide part comes in that you have to take your left hand off the handlebar to shift... sounds like fun, doesn't it!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Top Contributor

I"ve seen pics of an 800 with a jockey shift in an issue of RoadBike. Having owned such an animal ('48 HD Panhead complete with rocker clutch), I can only wonder...WHY?

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
It's also called a suicide shift. Instead of using your left foot to shift, there's a shift knob on the left side of the tank whick links to the tranny.
Actually, i believe there is a difference between a "suicide" and a "jockey" shift. The suicide is indeed located to the left of the tank, but i believe a jockey is located more below the seat.

To answer the question, i haven't heard of it being done to a Vulcan, but i guess it could be possible. There's some pretty clever mechanically inclined folks out there.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Top Contributor

Check the Apr 2009 issue of RoadBike (if you can find it), page 62. An article on a '98 800 made into a bobber. Owner fabricated his jockey shift himself.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Lightbulb

Can't fathom why you would want to, but with fairly straight forward design, some selonids and contact switches with a self centering lever you should be home. Forward to upshifts, back to down shifts. Not that it was asked about, but the same could be used for bars mounted shifted via a switch similar to our turn signal switch, but without the detent. Selonids would be similar to the ones used to lock/unlock car doors.

Can't see why this wouldn't do it, unless the forces are a lot higher than I think.

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Don't know about no solenoids, i've done the conversion to a suicide shift on my old suzuki gs1000g the shift lever connects directly to the input shaft into the tranny and you need to relocate the clutch cable to what is at the moment our gear levers, it can't be that hard to do on the 900's
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
That's exactly what i thought had to be done, Slash. Direct to the shaft and clutch to the pedal. The clutch might be the tricky part.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM

Helek i'm at work and just saw your answer, seeing as how my bike is parked inside right next to my office i went and had a look.

1) The shift lever is simplicity itself, my advice is buy a 2nd clamp that clamps to the shaft going into the gearbox, onto this you will need to weld a new gear lever (stainless steel) of about 1/2" then heat it and bend it so that it forms neatly around the chrome engine casing and make sure it's long enough to reach easily finish it off with a suitably evil looking gearknob. My last on was a chromed skull about 2" big. Then polish the shaft till it gleams

2) As for the foot clutch i just checked that out as well, if you look at your bike you will see the footrest bracket is attached to the frame by two bolts.
A simple bracket can be welded up from flat bar, i like to use stainless because its low maintenance.drill the two holes and a small piece of stainless tubing can be welded to it and the clutch cable would then fit into the tubing and it will then need to be connected to the bottom of the, now clutch pedal.

No rocket science involved at all.

In closure let me say if you give me some time, as i am currently busy with the intake to my new airbox which is now finished and anodised (I just got it back today from the anodiser). I am also busy with a screen and a backrest.
As soon as some of this is done i think iwill make a suicide shift even if just to show how to do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode