Feel a grind when coming to a stop - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Feel a grind when coming to a stop

With this being my first motorcycle, I don't know what is normal. Does everyone else have a "grinding" feeling vibrating through their rear brake pedal? It feels as though it is the front tire doing it, but I feel it with my right foot (or at least that is where I mainly notice it). It happens for about a second or so when I am rolling to a stop at less than 5 mph (just before I stop). Does anyone else feel this, is it normal, or does it sound like the disc brake isn't aligned properly?

It does not squeal like a mountain bike does if the disc brake isn't properly aligned.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Not normal. I would have someone pull the rear and look at the shoes, and look at the front pads.
Are there deep score lines around the front rotor?

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Some slight chatter is normal. Find a safe place, get to about 25mph, and do a sudden stop without locking up the brake. Discs will glaze up, thgis will brake the glaze. You've got an "09, so you're still under warenty. Have Ma Kaw check it out for you.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Actually, it is normal, or at least that is what I was told by several different mechanics at different shops. My 2008 1500 Classic did the same thing. Felt like something grinding in the front end just before coming to a complete stop. Apparently it is the brake pads they use on these bikes that causes it. Completely normal and not anything to worry about. I would still take it to the dealer and have them look at it to make sure it is the same cause and not a problem.

Tim
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I plan on taking it in but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and what the found to be the cause.

VROC #31005
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 AM

I think as long as you don't feel any pulsing or have any deep score marks in your rotor, you're fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I called the dealership and they think that the brakes are glazing because I am stopping to early (not applying enough pressure) and just rolling to a stop. I will check the brake pads and rotors today and apply more pressure when I stop. If it continues then I will take it in under warranty.

VROC #31005
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Top Contributor

Mine took a long time to stop the grinding noise. Probably 3000 miles. It would even do it after I let off the brake for a bit. Had it checked a couple of times and was told all was well. It doesn't do it any more and the rotors & pads are in good shape.

It still wouldn't hurt to have it looked at, though.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Has anybody gone through the trouble of removing the rotors to have them turned?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
Has anybody gone through the trouble of removing the rotors to have them turned?
Actually tried that. Made a mandrel to hold the disc on a lathe, did not work too well, even with support all the way up to the edge it chattered when I touched it with cutting tool. I then put it on Blanchard Grinder with magnet turned way down and shims under the high spots, ground one side just to clean up, flipped it over and ground the other side true to the first. Smooth as silk, no more surging when I apply front.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode