The Maiden Voyage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

The Maiden Voyage

Well I finished the MSF class over the weekend and finally decided to take out my new 900 custom for its maiden voyage. I've been staring at it for weeks and just adding accessories to it. I did it in the dead of night...away from neighbors' prying eyes in case I faltered. But faltered I didn't.

It was amazing...my first solo motorcycle ride. It was just around the block...only about 25 mph but I tell you I felt free. The cool wind coming in through my partially open visor...just the even rumble of the engine in the quiet night.

The bike seemed easier and more comfortable to ride than the Suzuki 250s in the class. But one thing I noticed is that it's easier to initiate a turn on the 900 and a little more difficult (well not really difficult, just "looser") to keep it in a straight line. Is that because of the skinny front tire? Once I let my arms relax it was more straight.

What a comfortable ride and exciting experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Congrats! That's one ride you'll never forget!

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Well done; and the adventure is only beginning. Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneor11 View Post
one thing I noticed is that it's easier to initiate a turn on the 900 and a little more difficult (well not really difficult, just "looser") to keep it in a straight line. Is that because of the skinny front tire?
Congratulations on your first ride! It's always an eye opener. Stay safe out there. For what it's worth, I suspect that the turn in and looseness issues are in your head. Realistically, a lightweight bike like a GZ250 is as easy to turn in as they come, certainly more so than a 900 Vulcan. On the other hand, the relative bulk of the 900 will make it feel more stable.

'99 Vulcan 500, 29k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Top Contributor

Congratulations on your first ride! When you start out as a new rider, you notice everything. Little wobbles in a turn, that the shift from 2nd-3rd has more of a click to it than 3rd-4th, etc. I was like that a year and a half ago. It is a good thing to be a little hyper-sensitive at first. The best advise I was given came from my buddy who had been riding for years. He told me to just go ride. Get some seat time in. He also said that you can ride in the country to relax, but make sure to spend the same amount of time in town negotiating traffic lights, cars, pedestrians, tight corners, etc. Anyone can cruise an open road. But dealing with the unexpected is where you really learn to be a good biker. So, ride to work, go buy bread, run to the gym, but make sure to ride the bike. You will eventually get a second nature about what gear to be in at a given speed, what gear to shift down to depending on the type corner you need to make, how long it takes to stop comfortably and so on. I am really glad to have another Vulcan family member. Keep the shiny side up!

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Top Contributor

very nice....brought back nice memories.

Lots of good advice so far.... just get seat time now.

I will add to stay conservative and safe and wear your gear.....
especially a year or so from now when you begin to think you have it all figgered out. THAT is when you will be at greatest risk of your first crash. Happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneor11 View Post
Well I finished the MSF class over the weekend and finally decided to take out my new 900 custom for its maiden voyage. I've been staring at it for weeks and just adding accessories to it. I did it in the dead of night...away from neighbors' prying eyes in case I faltered. But faltered I didn't.

It was amazing...my first solo motorcycle ride. It was just around the block...only about 25 mph but I tell you I felt free. The cool wind coming in through my partially open visor...just the even rumble of the engine in the quiet night.

The bike seemed easier and more comfortable to ride than the Suzuki 250s in the class. But one thing I noticed is that it's easier to initiate a turn on the 900 and a little more difficult (well not really difficult, just "looser") to keep it in a straight line. Is that because of the skinny front tire? Once I let my arms relax it was more straight.

What a comfortable ride and exciting experience.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Congrats!

I remember my first ride...bringing it home from the dealer this summer. It was exhilarating to be out on the open road like that for the first time!

I remember the first time (a week or so later) that I took her on some country roads and got up to 55 mph or so...I felt like I was hanging on for dear life!

Stay safe, get some miles on, and try to wipe that huge smile off your face while riding...makes the old grizzled folks wonder if you're sane!

-neil

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom - Candy Burnt Orange

Last edited by tkerugger; 11-18-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: corrected misspelling
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Top Contributor

You never forget your first........
Congrats, welcome aboard and be safe!!! After a period of time as you start to meld with the bike, you'll really come to appreciate what "the ride" really means. Looks are one thing, but the bottom line is "the ride"!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 11-18-2009 at 03:45 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Hey congrats on your first solo man.
You will find the loosness you describe can be chalked up to the low speed and the fact that both you and the bike are new to this so you'll be noticing every wiggle and squeek
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Congrats, I just took the MSF in Sept and picked up my bike the Friday I started MSF. That course is one of the best things I've ever done. It teaches you the right way and I got licensed through it no additional work except going to the DMV. The military made me take it and I'm glad they did.

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE

Installed

Stebel Air Horn
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ Extended Throttle Bosses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode