Another winter storage question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Another winter storage question

So this might be it for awhile, temperatures below freezing for the next week. Snow on the ground overnight. I know it's best to keep the tank full to keep out condensation, however for those of us out west with the California model we are not suppose to fill the tank above the filler neck, " So the fuel does not flow into the Evaporative Emission Control System". This leaves a couple of inches from the top of the tank. So what are the rest of you doing? Topping it off or stopping at the filler neck?

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Can't speak to the 900 but I can't fill my 1500 up either and just go as full as I know I can with Stabil in the fuel. Run the bike well to insure the Stabil gets into the entire fuel system. I bring my batteries inside on tenders, cover bike loosely. Cry, piss moan till spring.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks *********. I've decided to run with Seafoam and, God forbid 91 octain . I've run the Seafoam through the last couple of tanks because every time I think I am done for the season we get another warm spell. Thank heaven for global warming!!! I have a battery tender on the way, been getting jacked around for three weeks by the company I bought it from though.
ps, I love these little smilies.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Eus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarley View Post
Thanks *********. I've decided to run with Seafoam and, God forbid 91 octain . I've run the Seafoam through the last couple of tanks because every time I think I am done for the season we get another warm spell. Thank heaven for global warming!!! I have a battery tender on the way, been getting jacked around for three weeks by the company I bought it from though. ps, I love these little smilies.
We do not have seafoam in Canada is there a comparable product that anyone knows of in Canada perhaps it just has a different name. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
It seems folks use either these days for storage. We have always used Stabil in our 5 bikes and lawn tractor along with ethanol-free fuel when we put them to bed and not once has any of them failed to start in the spring.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarley View Post
...So the fuel does not flow into the Evaporative Emission Control System". This leaves a couple of inches from the top of the tank. So what are the rest of you doing? Topping it off or stopping at the filler neck?
I've always stopped filling at the bottom of the filler neck, but I don't know why. Someone else said we're losing a half-gallon of capacity that way, which may be very true. When I look down into the filler neck, I see what looks like the top of a metal tube which seems like (possibly?) an overflow drain. I do not have the California model. Though I've never seen anything drip out the bottom, I always respected it and never gone all the way up into the neck, though at times I'd sure like to. Can anyone identify what this tube thingy actually is?

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestLake_900LT View Post
I've always stopped filling at the bottom of the filler neck, but I don't know why. Someone else said we're losing a half-gallon of capacity that way, which may be very true. When I look down into the filler neck, I see what looks like the top of a metal tube which seems like (possibly?) an overflow drain. I do not have the California model. Though I've never seen anything drip out the bottom, I always respected it and never gone all the way up into the neck, though at times I'd sure like to. Can anyone identify what this tube thingy actually is?

your exactly right, its an overflow. on my vulcan , i have seen fuel come out of this tube hanging at the bottom of the bike. thats because every time i fill it past the neck, thats where the excess fuel goes
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestLake_900LT View Post

And where you are holding the bike when filling makes a difference too. If you are filling on the sidestand and go to the tube, you get more. But when you start riding and are upright you will be over the overflow tube and will lose some fuel. I am not sure how much you will lose, and how long you have to ride to get under that tube. Or if you are riding if you use it fast enough to overcome the loss to not make a difference.

Now I know that there was a thread before talking about this. They talked about this, where to fill to. I of course forget where it was said to go to. But I do believe that it was said to fill to the tube whilst on the sidestand. Cuz if you go too full it causes problems with the float gauge, which is all ready a problem.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eus View Post
We do not have seafoam in Canada is there a comparable product that anyone knows of in Canada perhaps it just has a different name. Thanks
I've seen seafoam for sale in the city, but up here in the rural I've had no problem with whatever I can find around for quality stabilizer. For example, this year the Kawi got Yamaha fuel stabilizer. If it works in a Vstar it should work in a Vulcan.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
your exactly right, its an overflow. on my vulcan , i have seen fuel come out of this tube hanging at the bottom of the bike. thats because every time i fill it past the neck, thats where the excess fuel goes
I suspected that it might be an over flow, but I have gotten carried away a few times and filled past the tube. I have never had any gas run out of the bike anywhere. Thats why I started this thread. I do not have a service manual so I'm feeling a little ignorant. I'm betting that on the California model the over flow goes through a charcoal cannester our something? Maybe thats why it never reaches the atmosphere? Anyway I over shot the tube just before parking it again, no gas leaks yet, but I do not know if I'll get a chance to run anymore gas out this season. It's Cooooold here.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement