Something to think about before Removing Baffles - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Something to think about before Removing Baffles

Feel free to pile on, but here is something to think about....

I wanted louder pipes. I knocked out the screens, drilled some holes and then completely removed my baffles. I like the sound. I would idle out of the neighborhood in 3rd gear and then open her up. The pipes were loud, but not too loud and I like the sound.

Recently I joined a local riding club. Every Sunday, 15-25 bikes take organized rides between 300-400mi. Being new to group riding, I was put toward the front.... and then it started.

The occasional speach from an older member on how "loud pipes don't really save lives", the passing comment on how loud my pipes are, etc, etc...

Then I realized that in a group of bikes with loud pipes, no one would notice mine, but in a group of bikes with quiet pipes, it sucks to get stuck behind the only guy with loud pipes. I cannot ride in the back because the "tail gunner" has a radio to communicate with the front and must be an experienced group rider.

Soooooo. I found a set of stock pipes on craigs list for $75 and installed them last night. Now my debaffled pipes are sitting in my garage and my bike sounds like a stealth machine. After riding with no baffles, I can hardly hear the bike. I guess I'll keep 'em on as long as I ride with this group. Now I guess I'll have to light my bike up like a UFO so they'll at least they'll see me comming as now the cagers cannot hear me.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
The cagers you need to worry about wouldn't hear you any quicker than see you anyway... they're too busy listening to a cranked cd and texting on their phone while gawking at some sexy thing on the other side of the street.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Sounds like it is time to find a new group to ride with

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have to agree man. I have Hard Kromes on my bike. Freakin loud when I am on it. But I think they sound good. I have gotten alot of people saying that they like it. But the past few rides the people when they say something about them being loud, it ain't in a good way. And one of those rides was with a bunch of guys who were on LOUD Harleys. So maybe it just sounds like loud shit, not a good loud.

I need to be behind it on a bike instead of on it.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm new to riding and female. This past summer I started out on a 250cc scooter, moved to a Honda 750, decided motorcycling is great and now have a Vulcan 900. Before I started riding, I have to say loud pipes turned me off, it was like a pesky fly that you couldn't get away from fast enough. It gave me a less than desirable impression about motorcycles and their riders. I always thought the guy was trying to compensate for 'something' (I'm sure I'm gonna get hammered for this, but that's the general attitude of my female friends as well). Anyway, as a rider I understand a little deep rumble is nice, I like that too. But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise. You want to be noticed....add chrome, paint, lights....it doesn't have to be LOUD.

Last edited by exsailor; 11-14-2009 at 10:14 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
I always thought the guy was trying to compensate for 'something' (I'm sure I'm gonna get hammered for this, but that's the general attitude of my female friends as well).

Anyway, as a rider I understand a little deep rumble is nice, I like that too.

But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise.
Well yeah you might get hammered. I have never understood that whole thing of people saying that someone is trying to compensate for thing if they drive a sportscar, or this or that. Most guys aren't that deep that they are doing that. A sports car is fun to drive fast, any car can be fun to drive fast. A sports car is just better cuz it is designed to be driven fast. As far as loud pipes, guys like loud things, be it cars, trucks, bikes, stereos, farts. My pipes were put on by the PO anyhow.

Actually most people complaining bout the noise of my bike are the ones wearing full face helmets. They say the noise just resonates inside the helmet. That is part of the reason I dont wear a helmet on this bike cuz it is too loud. The same thing happened when I drilled the baffles on my Vulcan 750.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM

Garage
While I can totally understand and even appreciate the sound of a good throaty rumble going by me, one of the things that really appealed to me about the 900 was it's almost stealthy ride. I mean it's not totally quiet like a 'Wing can get, but at least I've never heard any complaints from the neighbors when I go out and warm it up at 5:30 am before going to work. Louder pipes are one thing, but then there are those that make me cringe 'cuz they're simply too d**n LOUD!
I think I remember reading where someone thought the 900 sounded like a "sewing machine". I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'm okay with the sound of the stock pipes... just loud enough to be heard.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:11 PM

After 48 years of abusing my ears with guns, rock concerts, work, etc, I find it's time to start preserving what hearing I have left. Well... past time actually. Altough I find a good throaty rumble apealing, I also find loud bike annoying. My bikes exhaust will remain stock. I still spend the bulk of my driving time in so called "cages" and noise has never been the main way of locating a bike in close proximity. That comes from paying attention to what is going on around you when driving. Unfortunately that is becoming a rare occurance anymore. Drive safe and keep the noise down ya wipper snappers!

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
But, it doesn't have be overkill and most folks hear twice the noise you hear because they are not wearing a helmet to muffle the noise.

If you think wearing a helmet muffles the noise, try riding one with pipes while wearing a FF helmet. I assure you that the "noise" is anything but muffled. Just sayin' is all........

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 AM

hmm, odd.
I wear two different helmets. a FF and a halfie. I have gutted stockers, and my bike is louder with the halfie. so I would conclude that my FF does indeed muffle the sound of my pipes. it also muffles all my "vulcan" engine noises, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode