900 classic for touring - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
900 classic for touring

Does anyone have a 900 classic set up for touring? I kinda just thinking out loud, but I'm considering setting the 900 up for touring. Why? Especially when I have a bigger(well, once it gets back from getting fixed)bike? One reason is that I can't bring myself to do that to my meanstreak, to me it's more of a hotrod and putting a shield and bags, etc on it just aint right. I know the 900 is perfectly capable, ours has done several long rides and it's not a problem. If you have a 900 and use it for touring, what is your set up? What do have that you would consider essential? So far on my list is a shield of some sort, after several rides with a shield on the 900 I'm really starting to like it, just wish it was taller. Lowers are on the list, along with a seat, good comfy backrest for my wife, bag brackets(already got saddlebags), luggage rack(already got a sissybar bag), crash bars, crash bar chaps, highway pegs, cruise control of some sort and possibly GPS. I'd really to put a batwing on it and make it a bagger I think 900 classic's look kickass like that.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM

i agree with you the meanstreak is more of a hot rod type i have a o9 900se i love the bike for just cruising around i dont think a 900 has enough motor to use it for touring .maybe some one can chime in that has a 900 set up for touring.but thats just me .
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I think the 900 has enough power(actually more than enough)for the type of touring my wife and I will be doing, mainly backroads where speed limits rarely(if ever)get above 65mph and I avoid the superslab, we're in no hurry, just cruising. Now if we were to be doing alot of miles on the 'slab, running 80 and up most of the time, a bigger bike would definitely handle it better. Unfortunately, with the way things are economically, there's no way I'll be able to get a new bike for at least 3 years, so I'm thinking that decking out the 9 for 2-up laid back touring and making my MS purely a hotrod would be the best option.

'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
-Rob

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 PM

yeah true i notice where you live i live around houston texas area ill ride now and then on freeway 70 to 75 mph and ill almost get run over ill go back roads and im fine. hope you heal up fast .got a call couple of hours ago a fellow that used to work with us just got hit on his 900 vulcan.a young man ran a stop sign hit my buddy on his rear wheel could not keep the bike up he went down . lucky he had full coverage helmet on he broke 4 ribs .some road rash hes sore but ok he usually wears a half hemet but it was cool this morning so he put full coverage on . alot of damage to the helmet. he also works for kawasaki dealership .ill keep yall updated
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Dude, that sux! Let your friend know we're thinking about him.

'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
-Rob
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 PM

I tour mostly on the back roads, but I also frequently hit the interstates. I routinely hit 66 to get me west quickly. My 900 handles it well, at 70-75 it settles into a nice little groove..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM

VN900 Classic For Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsVn900 View Post
Does anyone have a 900 classic set up for touring? I kinda just thinking out loud, but I'm considering setting the 900 up for touring. Why? Especially when I have a bigger(well, once it gets back from getting fixed)bike? One reason is that I can't bring myself to do that to my meanstreak, to me it's more of a hotrod and putting a shield and bags, etc on it just aint right. I know the 900 is perfectly capable, ours has done several long rides and it's not a problem. If you have a 900 and use it for touring, what is your set up? What do have that you would consider essential? So far on my list is a shield of some sort, after several rides with a shield on the 900 I'm really starting to like it, just wish it was taller. Lowers are on the list, along with a seat, good comfy backrest for my wife, bag brackets(already got saddlebags), luggage rack(already got a sissybar bag), crash bars, crash bar chaps, highway pegs, cruise control of some sort and possibly GPS. I'd really to put a batwing on it and make it a bagger I think 900 classic's look kickass like that.
My wife and I ride a lot local, evenings, short drives and almost monthly take a 2-400 mile ride with one or two night stay over. We have set up our 900 classic for long hauls starting in '08 with a trip to Yellowstone, 10 days of gear and clothing for warm and cold weather, personals, tents, bed rolls, and 60# gear in T-Bag. We now have a trunk replacing the luggage rack and T-Bag and larger hard leather side boxes. Have a look at my entry for BOTM and links to photobucket for older and newer pics of bike. Recently took an 800 mile trip to North Shore Lake Superior with friends, fully loaded and pulling a trailer with 2 coolers of food and drink, 2 suit cases, leathers, rain gear, and yes, the BUNN coffee maker for use in the cabin. Fully loaded, 2 up, pulling a trailer and cruising the freeway north at 70mph was not a problem for the 900. I had considered the modification to the front pulley to give it longer legs, but the way we drive and load, 70 is fast enough and the low end power curve is just right for loads, 2 up and pulling a trailer. The 900 is perhaps one of the most versatile bikes and is very amenable to upgrades and add-ons to make it a very comfortable cruiser/tour bike. Passenger floorboards are must for passenger to eliminate lower leg stress and tension on long rides, my wife loves them. Also the first upgrade I made for long hauls was a different seat, chose the KAW Gel seat, no complaints from her the entire trip to Yellowstone and back. Mustangs are considerably more $ but surely a step above the Gel seat. Decent sized boxes and luggage rack with "T" or a hard box makes the trip so much nicer. Since we have the room we travel heavy taking more than we need, oh well. I do inflate both tires to 40 psi, with the front now needing replacement at 16,800 miles and the rear with 9,000 miles on it. All pics can be seen on photobucket site except trailer, I'll post here (total cost of trailer-$250)!
[IMG]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Slick set up Waterboy! How do you like the trunk and how does your wife like it as a backrest? I'm going back and forth between trunk or sissybar with t-bag, although after my crash my t-bag isn't in very good shape

'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
-Rob
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsVn900 View Post
Slick set up Waterboy! How do you like the trunk and how does your wife like it as a backrest? I'm going back and forth between trunk or sissybar with t-bag, although after my crash my t-bag isn't in very good shape
She loves it, way more comfortable and keeps her centered with bike compared to backrest and makes controlling bike easier for me-safer in the long run. Access to needed items is quick, we can put 3 days worth of clothes in trunk plus rain gear is handy,personals and extra footwear and leathers in side boxes. I've got new side plates lasered so I can lower it 2" to improve fit for her and lower center of gravity, but I still miss my nice luggage rack but I can switch em out with just 4 bolts.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:27 AM

Garage
That's a really cool set up, Waterboy. What exactly kind of trunk did you use, and does the passenger wrap-around seat back come with it? My wife would just love such a thing on there. I'd like to eventually find something like that for next summer, if it were something I could put on and off without too much hassle. She doesn't ride with me during the late season like today, but in the truly warm months, if I could bolt on that seat rest for her, it would be something we could use.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode