Engine Guards - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Engine Guards

Engine Guards. Who has them and where did you get them?

What do you think? Like them? Care to share some pics?

Thanks,

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM

I purchased mine online (cruisercustomizing.com). I went with the Cobra freeway bars and love them. Easy to install and look great. I have pics posted in the picture thread (last page or two).

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM

I also have the Cobra bars. Mainly got them because that is what my dealer stocked and as previously noted they are a piece of cake to install. Good and bad points: they appear to be well made and I like that they continue bar across top as a solid pipe as I feel this is a stronger guard than a bolt on at both top and bottom. They do seem to be a bit wider than other bars and can interfere with windshield lowers at full fork side-side pivot. Other bars I looked at either partially blocked oil filter access or bolted on top and bottom. Never really liked the looks of the ones that have highway foot rest built into the shape of the bar.

Ron
Southern Crusiers, Chapter #6
2009 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Titanium
Kury Iso Grips and Throttle Lock
Cobra Guard w/Kury Foot Rests
Kawa Windshield Lowers
Scootworks Pulley
Cobra Luggage Rack
Wolo BadBoy Horn

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Top Contributor

I ran out and snapped a couple pictures at work this morning. These are the Cobra gaurds. I really like them. Those are Kuryakyn small ISO pegs with the basic easy clamp mount. In a week or so I am putting some small (2.5") bullet driving lights on the same bar. I plan to hang them under the top part of the bar.

Sorry about the filthy bike. It has been to dark & cold when I get home from work to wash her. Not to cold to ride though. Hope the pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1033.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	995   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1034.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	996  

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Nice pics Pirate!

Highway bars will be my next addition too, so I was wondering if the Cobra bars are generally thought of as "optimal" of sorts... (not overpriced, well made, no drilling, little or no interference with any additional mods...)

Can anyone who already went through the "which bars?" decision tell me what lead you to go one or the other way?

I would love to hear especially from the people who decided NOT to get the Cobras but rather some other alternative...

I believe this would be helpful to a few of us who are still deciding...

Thanks for your opinions.

'07 Vulcan 900 Custom, Candy Fire Red
'05 Suzuki DR-Z 400s
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Engine Guards-VN900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
Nice pics Pirate!

Highway bars will be my next addition too, so I was wondering if the Cobra bars are generally thought of as "optimal" of sorts... (not overpriced, well made, no drilling, little or no interference with any additional mods...)

Can anyone who already went through the "which bars?" decision tell me what lead you to go one or the other way?

I would love to hear especially from the people who decided NOT to get the Cobras but rather some other alternative...

I believe this would be helpful to a few of us who are still deciding...

Thanks for your opinions.
It certainly is a personal choice with so many options out there. Personally, I do not like to have my eye taken off the bike by large loopy chrome guards and looked for an alternative. I also like to accent my bike with some black out items. I found that with a little fabrication re-work a set for the Suzuki 1400 Intruder was the answer to my search. Mounting brackets were easy to change and a 6" extension to the bottom middle (these bars are a two piece) was added for width. A little welding, grinding/polishing and the now one piece guard was ready for black satin powdercoat. Functional, narrow foot placement behind lowers, and not staring me in the face when I look at my ride, all what I was looking for. Found the used guards on ebay for $60, about an hour in rework and $20 for powdercoat, isn't customizing fun! Good luck!

Last edited by waterboy13; 11-05-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Pictures Added
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Top Contributor

MC guards dealer put them on before delivery. I like them a lot and they "did their job" not too long ago.............

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics and info on the Cobra bars. They seem to be the guards of choice for those that don't want to do some fab work.

Frank
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM

What guard is "Rollingbones" running with??? I really like the looks of his in the last pictures he posted on the pictures thread! Maybe it's just the angle? That is a good looking machine he is riding though, but then again I haven't seen a bad looking Vulcan posted on this forum.

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM

I bought the Kawasaki engine guard from the dealer (K32000-045). I don't have any real opinion about them other than I think they look nice. Probably commonplace, but I'll attach a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_front2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1007   Click image for larger version

Name:	04_side2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1008  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement