900 Custom Pretty Tough - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

900 Custom Pretty Tough

Woman pulled out in front of me yesterday (did not yield) and I had no place to go but hit her. Those Gran Marquis take up a lot of road when they are sitting sideways in your lane. Got her with a glancing blow and damaged the driver side front fender, and both doors. Took the car's mirror off with my handlebars and left hand. The bike didn't sustain to much damage. Front shock scraped, clutch and grip damaged, shifter and foot peg bent. Some other misc. scratches (no paint damage). I ended up with a broken finger and bruised knee and ankle. Didn't even drop the bike....
She didn't see me, where have I heard that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM

I'm glad that you didn't drop the bike or get more injured than you did. I bet you really felt the pucker factor.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
That sux! I'm very glad to hear you're ok, relatively anyway.

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh48 View Post
Woman pulled out in front of me yesterday (did not yield) and I had no place to go but hit her. Those Gran Marquis take up a lot of road when they are sitting sideways in your lane. Got her with a glancing blow and damaged the driver side front fender, and both doors. Took the car's mirror off with my handlebars and left hand. The bike didn't sustain to much damage. Front shock scraped, clutch and grip damaged, shifter and foot peg bent. Some other misc. scratches (no paint damage). I ended up with a broken finger and bruised knee and ankle. Didn't even drop the bike....
She didn't see me, where have I heard that before.
Glad you came out of it without more damage to yourself or bike. Hope she got a ticket.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Top Contributor

Sometimes you have to thank God even though it hurts. There is some saying about landings you can walk away from... Hope you are back riding soon.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

No time to pucker on this one, just had time to close my eyes, guess I didn't see what was coming. Seems like as time goes on I'm starting to feel the effects. The bike can be fixed and that's the main thing. I didn't see her get a ticket, usually the police don't give tickets at accidents if possible, why I don't know?

Last edited by johnwh48; 11-04-2009 at 10:54 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh48 View Post
No time to pucker on this one, just had time to close my eyes, guess I didn't see what was coming. Seems like as time goes on I'm starting to feel the effects. The bike can be fixed and that's the main thing. I didn't see her get a ticket, usually the police don't give tickets at accidents if possible, why I don't know?
In Michigan the cops go to the hospital to issue a ticket if required.
Hope you are feeling better soon!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM

Garage
Glad you're okay, my friend. I had someone pull out in front of me this summer and I laid the bike down in order to avoid hitting him. Wasn't sore right awway either, it took a day or so to feel the bruised ribs and all that, but it did finally go away after a couple of weeks. Hopefully yours will do likewise. We can't be careful enough out there.

Coming home from work just 3 days ago, I was less than a 1/4 mile from home and a damn deer darted out right in front of me. I squeezed the brakes hard enough to lock up the rear tire, left a nice 4-foot skid mark on the pavement as a souvenir, but still got home safely. At least now I know the Vulcan's brakes work very well when called upon.

Let us know how you're doing!! Hope your broken finger heals soon.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM

I took some riding instruction a few months ago. It was a course sponsered by the Otsego County Sheriff's department and was taught by a former deputy who has ridden for many years. I took the course because as you found out, there are a lot of deer to avoid as well as careless drivers. I specifically wanted to know the best technique to lay down a bike if necessary. What I was told is that in all his years of riding he did not find an incident where laying the bike down was the best option. I'm not saying that your case was not. He said that they had done an experiment where they had taken some scrap bikes and tossed them off a flatbed trailer at speed to see how far they would go. The results according to him showed that the bikes went much further than if they had been upright and braked. He did say that there may be a case where at the last second if you cannot stop without colliding, that it may be advantageous to lay the bike down but I assumed that was to get more bike between you and the object you are about to hit. All that said, I put crash bars on my bike just in case I have to lay it down they may offer some protection. I'm glad that you did not sustain serious injuries. Incidently, I didn't get any instruction in how to lay the bike down. The only time it happened to me is hitting an oil slick while making a turn. There was not technique involved in that and it happened over fifty years ago!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Similarly, many years ago I hit some sand in an intersection and it took the bike out from under me. Again, all I did was go along for the ride. The bike slid about 50 feet. Glad I had a helmet on that time, it almost wore thru the side from sliding on the roadway. In this latest incident I really didn't have time to lay the bike down, although I probably would not have done so anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode