Did I buy a Lemon ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Did I buy a Lemon ?

I have owned my 07 Vulan 900 custom since April.I'm really starting to wonder if something is wrong with it.

Today was the first time I really opened it up and the fastest I could get it going was around 90mph(100mph on the odometer, but it is off by around 10%). I rode it like this for about 30 miles and when I finnaly got off the highway to a traffic light it was like the bike was begging for mercy.It wouldnt hold an idle and stalled a few times.

I have been nothing but dissapointed with this bike performance wise since I have owned it. Its my 3rd bike,1st being a 1981 Kawasaki csr 650, and my last one a 1996 Yanaha Virago 750.Both of those have outperformed my 900 vulcan,especially the Virago,it pisses on it.I expected it to at least be on par with the virago.

I really like the bike cosmetically and its really comfortable.I just cant deal with the performance.Its covered for another 1 1/2 years under the good times protection program. What do you guys think ? I just find it hard to believe the 900 custom is this slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyofavalon View Post
I have owned my 07 Vulan 900 custom since April.I'm really starting to wonder if something is wrong with it.

Today was the first time I really opened it up and the fastest I could get it going was around 90mph(100mph on the odometer, but it is off by around 10%). I rode it like this for about 30 miles and when I finnaly got off the highway to a traffic light it was like the bike was begging for mercy.It wouldnt hold an idle and stalled a few times.

I have been nothing but dissapointed with this bike performance wise since I have owned it. Its my 3rd bike,1st being a 1981 Kawasaki csr 650, and my last one a 1996 Yanaha Virago 750.Both of those have outperformed my 900 vulcan,especially the Virago,it pisses on it.I expected it to at least be on par with the virago.

I really like the bike cosmetically and its really comfortable.I just cant deal with the performance.Its covered for another 1 1/2 years under the good times protection program. What do you guys think ? I just find it hard to believe the 900 custom is this slow.
its hard to reply to this. everyone of these 900s ride different it seems. i have yet taken my bike over 90 mph. evertime i bring it up to that speed it starts to shake and it sounds like its going to blow up ,the rpms sound like their higher than hell. that is wierd it stalls on you though. that sound like somthing could be wrong. i would have it takin in to a reputable place to have it looked at.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Top Contributor

I had an 1100 Virago before my 1500FI and performance wise...no comparison. Even with giving up 400cc's, the Virago would absolutely "smoke" the Vulcan. But, they are two different kinds of bikes, weight, style, etc. It really is unfair to compare.
If you are having a driveability problem with your bike, post back.
By the way, all of those Virago's were bullet proof and stand the test of time well!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Yea the Viragos' were great,I had my 750 for 9 years before I got the Vulcan this past Spring.The last 2 years I owned it I got pipes,jetted the carbs,and K&N air filter.That thing was like a rocket.

Its running fine I guess.Its probably just not the bike for me.I should of done more research on it before I bought it.It just seems weird how some people say the can do 115 with more juice left in it, and some people like me struggle to do 90. Thats a pretty big difference.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Top Contributor

I had mine for 10 years and did ZERO repairs on it. Just regular maintenance. I would still have it except I do 99% of my riding two-up and the Virago was a little cramped in that regard. The Vulcan fills that bill a lot better.
Reminds me of a fellow that I knew a few years ago. He bought himself a new Road King, took it out and at about 85 to 90, she was all done. He was some ticked! Took it back to the dealer and they said that for about $4000, they could bolt on a little more top end. He sold it.

PS. Top speed is usually over rated by most and the speedo's are out by about 20% anyways.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmccurdy25 View Post
its hard to reply to this. everyone of these 900s ride different it seems. i have yet taken my bike over 90 mph. evertime i bring it up to that speed it starts to shake and it sounds like its going to blow up ,the rpms sound like their higher than hell. that is wierd it stalls on you though. that sound like somthing could be wrong. i would have it takin in to a reputable place to have it looked at.
Same here with mine. Up to 70-75 it's fine, but when you get to 80 it doesn't like it very well. I don't worry about it though 'cause I didn't buy it for that.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 PM

My '03 1600 Classic topped out at an indicated 108 mph. I ran it up there once just to see what it had. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 900LT with it's big windscreen and saddlebags hanging out there would be hard pressed to reach 95. To me the top speed of my 900 is irrelevant, the bike will run 75 - 80 mph on the freeway if I need it to and that's fine. If I needed more speed I'd have kept my '03 Concours. The Concours cost me about $1000 less (both used) than the Vulcan but the Vulcan is more fun for cruising around town and the back roads where I live.

Doug

'06 Nomad 1600
---
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
I had mine for 10 years and did ZERO repairs on it. Just regular maintenance.
same here, the 9 years I had my virago it was practically maintenence free.I'd buy an 1100 if they still made em.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM

I never move that fast anyway.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Is your measure of performance top end speed, and top end speed only ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode