Safety tip o' the day! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Safety tip o' the day!

Riding my bike to work this morning I got in the mood to write a safety tip. Maybe I am wasting my time, but I have this recurring thought in my head every so often and I thought I would share.

There are times on the road when you see a place that you could easily put your bike into and move ahead in traffic. Bikes are small and quick and can fit in spots that cars can't. For some reason, whenever I see one of the places pop open, my brain says... Would the person in the car next to that spot expect me to be there? I honestly think that this way of looking at traffic has probably saved me some really tense moments. Basically I try to think about the people driving the 4 wheelers around me and whether they would expect me to suddenly be in a spot next too, in front of, or even behind them. A spot that a car maybe could not fit into. I think this works together with trying to always leave yourself a way out if things start going badly. Anyway, I don't know that this line of thought is necessarily taught in the Motorcycle Saftey Classes, but hopefully it is beneficial to someone.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Top Contributor

Three important rules:
1. Expect the other guy to do the worse possible thing and come after you.
2. Always look for a way out.
3. If in doubt, see rules #1 & #2!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Top Contributor

Good tip....I do this.... more times than I can count I noticed a second later that the gap was no longer there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
Riding my bike to work this morning I got in the mood to write a safety tip. Maybe I am wasting my time, but I have this recurring thought in my head every so often and I thought I would share.

There are times on the road when you see a place that you could easily put your bike into and move ahead in traffic. Bikes are small and quick and can fit in spots that cars can't. For some reason, whenever I see one of the places pop open, my brain says... Would the person in the car next to that spot expect me to be there? I honestly think that this way of looking at traffic has probably saved me some really tense moments. Basically I try to think about the people driving the 4 wheelers around me and whether they would expect me to suddenly be in a spot next too, in front of, or even behind them. A spot that a car maybe could not fit into. I think this works together with trying to always leave yourself a way out if things start going badly. Anyway, I don't know that this line of thought is necessarily taught in the Motorcycle Saftey Classes, but hopefully it is beneficial to someone.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM

I agree with your safety tip....I also always try to be visible to the cages. Usually I like to ride near the center line on the highway, but when I'm meeting a string of cages I move over toward the outside of the lane so the cages behind the lead one can see me in my lane and hopefully will not try to pass the others and pull out in my lane. Also at stop lights when I pull up behind a cage, I make sure I can see them in their side mirror and rearview mirror, that way I hope they will see ME. I always figure, if I can't see them, they can't see me. Thanks for sharing your safety tip.

EAGLE-ONE313
LoneRider
--------------------------------
07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra Engine Guard
Cobra Lightbar
Kawasaki Windscreens
Front Fender Trim Rail
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM

As a new rider, I appreciate the time you took to write the safety tip. Being a "cage driver" most of my life, I agree with you. In California, it was legal (or maybe just Cal. bike custom) to drive between vehicles on the white center line to pass cars. When I first moved there, it startled me to find a motorcycle between me and the car next to me. I always wondered what would have happened in the course of normal driving if I drifted to the left towards the center line and the car to my right drifted a bit right towards the center line.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I agree on the visibility thing Sandi B. I have a flat black helmet. I found black reflective tape that a friend of mine in the sign industry sells. He gave me some as a sample. I used my wife's picture cutter to cut out some pieces that I stuck to the helmet. You can't really see them during the day, but at night they light up a shiny silver when headlights hit them. Also, in the next week or so I am installing some extra driving lights to my engine guards and a new (louder) car horn on the bike. The driving lights will help in the turns at night, but more importantly they will make me a more visible object during the day. All in all I think I will have spent under $75 and will have improved my visibility a lot. Also, all of the add ons will either be hidden or look like they are custom bike parts. I plan to put up pics once I get things finished.

'07 VN900 Classic
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Eus

Hi everyone I also have a tip, for new riders me being one myself don't be afraid to use your horn and watch tires as well as drivers, sometimes the driver looks like he is looking at you but the tires tell you he is about to turn infront of you. I agree with all the safety stuff above as well, I think I am going to like this forum, you guys all seem quite sensible, but I have not meet all of you yet so who knows. LOL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Top Contributor

Great tips and things to think about.

Always expect the worst.

In Toronto drivers rarely follow the rules, so never assume anyone will.

06 VN1500 Classic Anniversary
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Great tips and things to think about.

Always expect the worst.

In Toronto drivers rarely follow the rules, so never assume anyone will.
That's what you get for living in the artic circle! HA!
Move south, you get to ride without parts of your body falling off from the cold. Of course, in late August down here it is almost to hot to ride. Especially if you don't want to smell like sweat when you get where you are going. Ride safe... my Canadian friend.

'07 VN900 Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM

One of the things that I have found to help with dealing with traffic, bike or cage is a Defensive Driving Course. The company I work for requires that we attend a DDC at least once every 3 years and the instructor will take stock of the parking lot and will talk about bikes if he sees any. I have been to this course twice so far and find it to be a real eye opener as to what I didn't think about. If any of you get the chancer to go to a DDC don't pass it up never know what you might learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode