Long Riders - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Long Riders

Recently I've joined a riding club and started taking longer rides. We rode about 350mi last Sunday. There were about 16 bikes of all makes and models. One thing that I noticed is that most had something on their seats. Some had sheepskin, some beads and some airhawk cushions. I laughed..... I have a new mustang seat. Isn't it so comfortable that we don't need these gadgets?

Hmmmm. after 3-4 hrs, I started to get antsy and my a$$ started to hurt. From what I read, I should be able to confortably live the rest of my life in this seat... What's going on here?

Do you other after market seat owners ride with a cushion too? Do I just need to allow a break in period for my seat (and butt), or is this just normal? I didn't complain, but heard no one else complaining either and I know that this group takes some pretty long rides.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM

As I just purchased my mustang seat, I can't speak to any long rides yet. However, a guy that I ride with in VROC swears by a mustang seat with beads on it. When I still had my stock seat we went for a 6 hour ride (plus an hour and a half each way to get to the meeting point for him). He spoke like he could ride all day with that combination.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Good question bscarpenter. I do not want to fork out the cash for a custom seat if you still need a cushion. I'm still stock, and I start getting uncomfortable around the one hundred mile mark. Anyone using these? http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Top Contributor

Give it some time to break in a bit. I have about 15000 miles on my Mustang now and can take a 500+ mile ride and not feel like I "have got to get off this bike". Some days are better than others, 300 sometimes is all my butt can take. Its actually more about time in the saddle for me, 300+ miles of highway are different then the same milage with traffic and towns.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 PM

I used to know a man who headed up the seat design department for a European car company. He said the work was maddening because you could design a seat that all the designers loved then bring in 100 people to try it out and get 1/3 who loved it, 1/3 who hated, and 1/3 who were so-so about it. Modify the seat, re-run the focus group with another batch of people and get the same results.

Seating position, seat angle, handlebar height, etc. can effect the center of force on your seat. Some parts are more tender than others, ya know? Fiddling with the position of your handlebars may help your seat comfort issue by changing your posture.

I did 300 miles on Tuesday on my VN900LT with the sock seat and a sheepskin. I don't see any need with the Kaw to spend money on a custom seat, the stock one with the trusty sheepskin on it is ok enough for me.

I've been putting sheepskins over seats now for about four years and find that they do "add 100 miles to your day" and generally take some of the "bite" out of a seat. Never tried the seat beads but some guys swear by them. I had an Airhawk cushion on the seat of my ST1300 for my wife and she loved it but not enough to keep us from buying a $700 custom Russell seat which I hated and wound up selling to a guy who loved it. Go figure.

If you want to try a sheepskin I like the ones from Alaska Leather. I have no connection to them but do recommend them. I have three of their sheepskins for my bikes and one on the office chair I'm currently planted on. I think you can still use the discount code "deadsheep" when ordering and get a discount.

So there is no guaranteed fix for making a seat comfortable, you have to experiment and see what seems to work and then give the seat time to break in and mold itself to your shape if you're tough enough.

Then there's the whole thing of wearing a particular kind of pants or undergarments to improve seat comfort. I've heard of guys wearing everything under jeans from bicycle shorts to ladies silk undies. Never tried the undies thing myself, don't plan to but hey, whatever gets you down the road happy.

Doug

'06 Nomad 1600
---
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Top Contributor

I'm with vintagemxr.

The "perfect seat" does not exist because our rear ends, spine and the weight we put upon it are all different. Oh yeah, air flow between the seat and our behinds is also important, that's why a good sheepskin has helped bikers for years...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Top Contributor

I hate to pop anyone's bubble, but I found the closest thing to perfect. A couple of weeks ago I had a Russell Day-Long Saddle done and it was worth every penny. My wife and I spent about 5 hours in the saddle the following Sunday and when we got home, it was damn near like getting out of a Lazy Boy. I kid you not. They make these to fit your size and weight and also have a metal suspension system built in. I thought at first it was going to look sort fugly, but it also looks pretty dad-gum sweet on my 900LT!!! Mmmmmmm...Comfy!!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch

Last edited by Rollingbones; 10-30-2009 at 10:00 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM

Rollingbones, what badge is that on your tank? I like that.

VROC #31005
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Top Contributor

I had it done by a dude that does a wide varity of stickers/decals. It's in gold to go with the trim and is your basic USAF symbol used of our jets...

Here's the link (I had mine reduced by 1" in width and done in gold)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Check out his eBay store...

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 PM

That's cool. I am in the military as well (as you can see from my avatar) and like how subtle it is.

VROC #31005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode