Excited new owner - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Excited new owner

Hi guys! Yesterday I brought home my new 900 Custom. I am quite excited about it! I got it from a lady who changed her mind about riding rather quickly – it is a 2007, she put 600 miles on it in the first season and it was sitting in her garage for 2 years. She lives about 100 miles away so the ride home was a good test how the bike really handles.

I must tell you that I am really impressed! I found the seat quite comfortable – I expected something much worse after reading the different posts on the forum. The bike has plenty of power – a real joy to ride. One of the few issues I was having on the way was to tell what gear I had it in – especially in a denser traffic when I was distracted.

The bike is 100% stock (at the moment…) Still, I will post some pics soon.

The only things that sucks is that it is supposed to get cold in a few days (I am in NY). But I plan on riding for a few more weeks no matter what. I can’t just put in the garage for 6 months a day after I bought it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Top Contributor

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I hope you find some good stuff here as I have.

Ride Long and Prosper!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM

WELCOME
Enjoy your new ride. here ya about the weather

Ride Hard and Be Safe

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Top Contributor

Congratulations dude!!!
I have a 2007 Classic and love it. Of all the posts on the forum, one that is a must read is the one about the grease fittings on the rear shock rocker arm on the bottom of the bike. If the bike has 600+ miles on it there is still a decent posibility that at least one may be damaged or gone. Also, most folks seem to find that the factory and the dealership both forgot to grease these fittings properly. Hopefully yours are all good. Glad to have another fellow 900 rider out there. Keep the shiny side up!

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey Pirate, I just crawled back from underneath the bike and all three fittings are still there (I guess the lady I got the bike from really rode just mostly around the block ). So I guess on Saturday I will head out to Walmart for a grease gun and a tube of grease (does it matter what kind?) and I will also try to get the replacement screws too.

It is just mind boggling that such a reputable bike company can put out an idiotic design detail like this... Would it be that hard to hide each of these fittings in a nook of some kind or place them under an angle from the side, or something trivial like that....??? This looks more like a sabotage in the design lab to me...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Nothing beats Yamaha's Vstar where you have to remove the exhaust pipe to get to the oil filter each oil change, now how stupid is that! lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Nice find!

06' 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 AM

Hi

Hello bass567, welcome to the forum and Congrats on the 900 Custom. Man is this going to be a L..O..N..G winter for you !!! It's bad enough just having one's bike just sitting all alone in the cold, cold garage.....Let alone having a BRAND NEW RIDE sitting there and not being able to ride. I guess you will probably have to sit up a lawn chair out in the garage so you can sit there and admire it. LOL Surely you will get in a few rides before it's too cold and icy. Good Luck and again Welcome.

EAGLE-ONE313
LoneRider
--------------------------------
07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Cobra Engine Guard
Cobra Lightbar
Kawasaki Windscreens
Front Fender Trim Rail
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
Hey Pirate, I just crawled back from underneath the bike and all three fittings are still there (I guess the lady I got the bike from really rode just mostly around the block ). So I guess on Saturday I will head out to Walmart for a grease gun and a tube of grease (does it matter what kind?) and I will also try to get the replacement screws too.

It is just mind boggling that such a reputable bike company can put out an idiotic design detail like this... Would it be that hard to hide each of these fittings in a nook of some kind or place them under an angle from the side, or something trivial like that....??? This looks more like a sabotage in the design lab to me...
When you go to Walmart: 1- Watch out for the speed bumps if you ride the bike. 2- Just get any type of bearing or axle grease. This pivot point has very little rotation and now real heat involved. So just as long as you have some grease in there, you are good. Actually, in your area I would be more worried about the low end temperature of the grease. Not that you will probably be riding in -20F weather. The general consensus is that you need M6-1.0 thread x 10mm long hex head bolts and a simple lock washer. Most folks are just replacing the rear two fittings. I do recommend stainless steel bolts. This was really the hardest thing to find. You may have to buy a 10 pack or something from McMaster Carr. Set screws would probably work too, but I worry about one vibrating all the way in and getting lost.

As for the design engineer who did this, I have a running joke on the forum that I am looking for him. He needs a good beating.

One last thing, if you are at or near 600 miles, do you know if the first oil change service has been done? It is really important to do this service. The main issue is the oil change because a new engine looses a lot of metal during the break-in period. You need to get that out by changing the oil and filter. The rest is just stuff that the service center checks to make sure nothing is loose or leaking on the bike. Just thought I would mention it.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 10-23-2009 at 11:45 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pirate, I will do exactly what you are suggesting. Are such metric screws normally available in hardware stores or do they need to be mail-ordered from some internet specialty outlets?

Do you guys think that people at Kawasaki are aware of how many customers are mad because of this "detail"? Is anyone from the company active on this forum? Wouldn't it be nice to listen to the voice of people who pay for your living??

The original owner gave me a receipt from the 600-mile service. I was shocked by the rate (something like $110/hr.) that the dealer charged -- and it was like 2.5 hrs. I am not sure whether they ripped her off, or whether this is the normal going rate... The total was like $300+ or something like that... Awful. I am not sure (and neither is she) whether they did anything beyond the oil change.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode