Hey guys, need some advice please about buying. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, need some advice please about buying.

Could someone please tell me what they would consider to be a great deal on a vulcan 09 900 out the door price?

I live in southern california and my tax is 9.75.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

The model is the "Classic" and it's the "Candy plasma Blue"
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 AM

I bought mine a few weeks ago and paid 7200$ out the door including all tax, titles, set-up fee, plus I had it delivered to my house (150$) and had some accessories in there. I was happy to get under MSRP. I didn't go with the cheapest dealer here though, but the one with the best customer service and who has been around for almost 40 years.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 AM

I don't know about the classic, but I will share my experience with my recent custom purchase in case it helps.

Awesome price Mav. I unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I bought mine over the weekend and it was five hours of tedious negotiations and the salesperson going "talk to the manager" even though I explained that I wasn't in the mood for the whole "manager negotiation fiasco" because I have two crying kids back at the house. I almost walked out a few times. But anyway, my walk out the door price (after tax, delivery, accessories, installation, etc.) was $9200. YOu can do better!

2009 Kawasaki 900 Custom: 6800
Cafe Windshield 215
Lightbar 350
Crash bars 265
Installation (grrrr) 471
Total: 8100
Tax (6.25%) 507
BS dealer fees + title/reg: ~600

The cheapest custom I saw in the area (Houston) was $6200 new, but it was on the north side and I didn't feel like driving. Kawasaki is also offering -350 off of '09s right now. Don't let them tell you that's already been factored into the price. If you buy accessories, know that the dealer only pays about 30% of that cost for the parts, so at least squeek out free installation if they won't work with you on the parts. And as far as the "freight fee" they charge, I refused to pay it. To me it's not my problem that they had to ship the bike from California to their showroom. That's their cost of doing business.

But after about five hours I wore down and they weren't budging because they knew I could afford the bike based on the income I had to divulge to get the credit check for the loan. So next time I realized that I will pay cash or totally arrange for my bank to handle it without me having to divulge income to the dealer. Unfortunately my bank was closed at the time.

I may sound combative, but buying a vehicle is the slimiest experience ever.

Best of luck. I think Mav's price is spot on, especially since the 10s are coming out. Let us know what happens.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM

I picked up a black classic 3 weeks ago. 7000 out the door. didn't think it was too bad a price. dealer did say that was the cheapest he had sold one
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:48 PM

I've purchased a lot of motorcycles over the years and my rule of thumb is to pay no more than MSRP as the out the door price. The dealer can do whatever they want with the numbers up to there, charge $1000 for "doc fees" and $1000 for "freight" if they want, but I'm paying no more than MSRP out the door. Be adamant about it and threaten to walk if they waste more than 30 minutes of your time and then don't be afraid to walk.

As others here have shown by their recent purchases, in this current depressed motorcycle market I'm sure you can even beat the MSRP out the door price if you work at it. I hear there are some great deals on Buells right now. Remember too that motorcycle dealers, however evil they may seem to be sometimes, deserve to make a profit or next time you need a bike or parts they may not be there. We have no Honda dealer in our town and getting parts and service for my wife's scooter is a real pain.

Doug

'06 Nomad 1600
---
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! Well, here's the news...

My lowest out the door price on a 2009 vulcan classic 900 candy plasma blue is 7200.00 out the door but that is also including delivery which is a good 35 miles away.

According to what I read on here that seems like a good deal!

Steve

Hey, after working on three different Star Trek series, how could I not want to ride a bike named "Vulcan"

Last edited by stuntman; 10-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
Remember too that motorcycle dealers, however evil they may seem to be sometimes, deserve to make a profit or next time you need a bike or parts they may not be there.
That is a good point. I do view them as evil, but they are just trying to make a living like I am. Thanks for the reality check.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I got my 07 classic turned LT this summer for 6400 with taxes and licenses. But it came with a Mustang seat, Hard Krome pipes, Cobra Fi2000, engine guard, front driving lights, chrome eyelids, chrome neck cover, cover moon for the front hub, kawi windshield, kawi bags with supports, new rear tire (crap brand, but it was free), chrome fender trim thingy, 'live free, ride hard... air cleaner cover. Other then it was slightly used, not a bad deal. And it had all the maintence dealer done, and the accesories dealer installed. (which means they were probably done wrong)

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
Hey, after working on three different Star Trek series, how could I not want to ride a bike named "Vulcan"
Ride Long and Prosper!!!
(Me thinks we now have the official Vulcan greeting)

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode