Wild battery maintenance required? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Wild battery maintenance required?

Newbie question: I was studying my owner's manual so I would be somewhat familiar with the bike before it is delivered next week and was surprised by all of the warnings about the battery dying. "Start the bike *immediately* after switching to ON or it will drain the battery." "If you're not going to ride for 2 weeks take the battery out and put it on a charger in the garage <and it lists the recommended charger models>", "Check the battery every week with a voltmeter.", "If you put the bike in 'Park' mode, don't do it for too long or the battery will drain." "Not starting the bike can drain the battery in a matter of days because the battery naturally discharges." They even give numerous examples throughout the book about the bike dying after a ride because the battery was low.

Okay I understand about the lights part, but wow checking the battery with a voltmeter/multimeter every week? Taking it out and putting it on a charger if I don't ride for a week or two? Always being paranoid if my park lights are on for a few minutes? I was just wondering if I should take this seriously and go get a charger before the bike arrives or if I really shouldn't worry about it any more than the battery in my car.

Thanks for the help and the sharing of your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Top Contributor

Modern bike charging systems and batteries work pretty good. If you were to do all of the items mentioned, there would be no time left for riding.
During the normal riding season, you should be fine under most conditions to treat it no different than your car. When you quit for the season, put the battery on a "battery tender" of some sort and you will have no troubles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks for the quick reply and helpful info. That's a relief!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 PM

Optimiser

I would recommend you consider buying a Battery Optimiser. They come with a small socket which wires onto the battery and when you finish riding just plug it in. This will keep the battery topped up with charge without doing any damage at all. I actually have mine on a timer as I don't ride every day. It comes on for a couple of hours at night just to keep things 'tidy'

HoraceG
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceG View Post
I would recommend you consider buying a Battery Optimiser. They come with a small socket which wires onto the battery and when you finish riding just plug it in. This will keep the battery topped up with charge without doing any damage at all. I actually have mine on a timer as I don't ride every day. It comes on for a couple of hours at night just to keep things 'tidy'

HoraceG
One pitfall to the above procedure...it sometimes can "cover up" a battery that is going weak. Instead of going into your garage and having a no-start, you experience it 100km's from home on a Sunday evening.
I find that the constant fussing over the battery is not needed. If my bike happens to sit, it sits without being plugged in, and starts every time.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by sfair; 10-19-2009 at 04:19 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have noticed mine the past few days it wasn't raining or where I wasn't working til 9 at night when I actually got to ride. It started pretty hard. Took a few turns to fire up. Once it warmed and had run. It popped off with no problem. I plan on getting a tender this year.

If you route the tender hookup cables you can check your voltages with a volt meter real easy. On my 750 I had them poking out from under the seat down by the left passenger peg.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350