Proud New(bie) Owner of the VN 900 Custom SE - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Proud New(bie) Owner of the VN 900 Custom SE

I recently took the Mancuso Riders Course, It was mainly for my brother in law and I went for moral support. I had never riden a mototrcycle in my life. Two weeks later and alot of research I found myself in love with the VN 900 Custom Special Edition and signing the paperwork in a blink of an eye.

Currently in the first break in period of the bike, mile 52 to be exact. Riding it very likely and enjoying the ride. I notice a squeaking sound comming from the rear of the bike around the 30 mph mark, perhaps the Belt or breaks maybe? I am only riding the bike for leasure and weekends with my work shedule so not alot of time to take it to the shop and pick the mechanics brain. Has anyone else come across this?

I am not very knowledgable about motorcycles, but a inspired learner. Any info would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Congradulations on your ride. Excellent taste, I must add.

I've been riding for some time, and the 900 Custom of mine intorduced me to sounds I never hear on any bike before.

Brake squeal was present initially, but once the pads bedded, the brake noise evaporated. So it could be a brake noise.

Belt noise was also present for a bit, but it has also disappeared as well.

Initially I thought that the transmission was rough and not very smooth shiftiing, but it has (as every bike I've owned) improved greatly and shift nicely now.

I don't think your sound(s) are anything to be concerned about.

Enjoy your new ride!

Andy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought it all may be chalked up to the 'newness' of the bike and could all come together after the break-in period, but better safe than sorry!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Top Contributor

I was a new biker 16 months ago. The following are two things that I found to be really important, but no one told me about at the dealership.

First, I am not a big fan of taking things to the local shop for repair if you can possibly do it yourself. However, I highly recommend that you do not miss your 600 mile "first service" as outlined in the owners manual. It is extremely over-priced at all of the repair centers I have heard of, but it keeps your warrany in tact. Also, they do look at a lot of little things on the bike to make sure it is breaking in properly. Also, and most importantly, they will change the oil and filter. I have heard horror stories of the silver sheen that the first oil in a new bike will have when drained. Basically, all the little parts in the engine still have some rough edges on them from machining. These spots wear off and make the engine really smooth after a few hundred miles. But the loose metal has to be removed by changing the oil. Also, make sure the place you take it cleans the little oil filter screen on the very bottom of the engine, not just change the oil filter on the front. Some places don't know about that screen. So sometime around 600 miles, take your new baby in for probably the most important service she will ever have.

Second, crawl on the floor of your garage (driveway) and look under your bike. You will see three little zerk fittings on the rocker arm where the rear shock mounts. We have all cussed the engineer who put these zerks where they are guaranteed to get ripped out when you cross a speed bump or hit a big pot hole. Most folks are replacing the rear two fittings with stainless steel M6 x 10mm hex cap screws because if the zerks get ripped out, they tend to damage the aluminum threads in the rocker. Also, many folks find that there is almost no grease in the rocker at these points. Evidently Kawasaki ships them almost dry and the dealerships don't grease them.

Other than that, have fun and keep the shiny side up.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm still breaking in a 900LT Classic as well. I found Home Depot in my area carries M6 x 6mm set screws that can also be used to plug the grease fitting hole. Just do not run them in too far. Two of my three grease fittings were almost dry but the third was full.

I'm still getting used to the sounds during break in. I guess the most noticable to me is the whine from the top of the engine, gear whine from trans and starting to hear a tick that folks talk about some time. Also seems the exhaust is getting louder with more miles but maybe thats just me getting on the throttle a little heavier.

Welcome and stay safe.

Ron
Southern Crusiers, Chapter #6
2009 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Titanium
Kury Iso Grips and Throttle Lock
Cobra Guard w/Kury Foot Rests
Kawa Windshield Lowers
Scootworks Pulley
Cobra Luggage Rack
Wolo BadBoy Horn
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM

welcome to the forum i alsao bought a 09 900se love the bike have not had problems or noises yet. enjoy your bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode