Up for the challenge? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Up for the challenge?

Hello,

I'll start by apologizing for coming up with an assignment that someone else has to execute. Iv'e had my custom for a couple of months now and have been an avid participant in this forum. My observations are that many have the same questions and some of the answers are fairly conclusive. With that in mind someone more astute than me could compile a FAQ sticky that would answer most of the recurrent questions and answers. I got the idea from the AVSforum DIY screen making site. An example would be the fuel gage issue. It seems conclusive that: The gage is inaccurate by indicating less fuel than actual, the warning light is separate and not as inaccurate and indicates approximately 1 gallon left, the accuracy of the gage can be improved by adding a 20 cent resistor (indicate the thread), it is possible to break the gage by.......and it costs ..... to replace, etc. Another is the speedometer is inaccurate up to 10% slow. After market add ons can correct (.....), a larger diameter rear tire will partially correct or an aftermarket front sprocket (Scootworks ...) or both can correct. Oils, filters reliable sources for aftermarket items are all good info and can be available without searching through hours of threads. Of course nothing that isn't reasonably conclusive should not be represented.

The idea would be to have a wealth of factual info that is concise and located in one place for the majority of questions. Almost like a must read before posting a question. I recognize that a few may question the "facts" but in reality it seems pretty clean.

Thanks for reading and hopefully one of the more talented readers will pick up the gauntlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Top Contributor

The job is yours, thanks for volunteering

2007 Custom
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Seadog1967 Send a message via Yahoo to Seadog1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Hello,

I'll start by apologizing for coming up with an assignment that someone else has to execute. Iv'e had my custom for a couple of months now and have been an avid participant in this forum. My observations are that many have the same questions and some of the answers are fairly conclusive. With that in mind someone more astute than me could compile a FAQ sticky that would answer most of the recurrent questions and answers. I got the idea from the AVSforum DIY screen making site. An example would be the fuel gage issue. It seems conclusive that: The gage is inaccurate by indicating less fuel than actual, the warning light is separate and not as inaccurate and indicates approximately 1 gallon left, the accuracy of the gage can be improved by adding a 20 cent resistor (indicate the thread), it is possible to break the gage by.......and it costs ..... to replace, etc. Another is the speedometer is inaccurate up to 10% slow. After market add ons can correct (.....), a larger diameter rear tire will partially correct or an aftermarket front sprocket (Scootworks ...) or both can correct. Oils, filters reliable sources for aftermarket items are all good info and can be available without searching through hours of threads. Of course nothing that isn't reasonably conclusive should not be represented.

The idea would be to have a wealth of factual info that is concise and located in one place for the majority of questions. Almost like a must read before posting a question. I recognize that a few may question the "facts" but in reality it seems pretty clean.

Thanks for reading and hopefully one of the more talented readers will pick up the gauntlet.
This one already has a ton on it. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 900 LT Classic
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 68"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Seadog,

I am aware of the gadget site but while it has a lot of generic stuff which is useful, it does not address the 900 and it's specific characteristics and idiosyncracies. After going through hundreds of posts on this site, it became apparent that many of the questions were model specific. I'm actually a little surprised that some of the more technically knowledgeable folks have not come forward.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Top Contributor

I'm still trying to figure out why the 900 section of the forum seems to have a lot more people viewing it at any given time than any other section. Surely this can't be the proportunate ownership of 900's compared to the other models of Vulcans!!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mark,

I'm only speculating but I think that there may be more first time owners or folks who haven't had a bike in many years and that may account for some basic lack of knowledge. Also this is a relatively new design and it has it's own personality which prompts a lot of inquiries. The forum also feeds on itself with a lot of responses generating a variety of opinions which themselves generate a lot of responses. All in all, it's probably not a bad thing. I just thought that maybe enough has settled down to summarize a bit.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Top Contributor

Better you should print a "How to Use the Search Function" page. It works rather nicely, given a chance.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Seadog1967 Send a message via Yahoo to Seadog1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why the 900 section of the forum seems to have a lot more people viewing it at any given time than any other section. Surely this can't be the proportunate ownership of 900's compared to the other models of Vulcans!!!
I'd have to say that there are probably a higher percentage of 900 riders out there now. Partially due to like Sailor Bill said. First time buyers and returning riders(like me) from yrs. of absence. For some time the bigger bikes were sitting at the dealers and the smaller ones hard to stock due to the price, good gas mileage and light handling of the 900. It didn't hurt either that it looks much bigger than it is. The majority of people ask me if it's a 1500. So I would say there is a huge Vulcan 900 segment out there and with the economy the way it is that bike is one of the best bang for the buck MC out there.

2007 900 LT Classic
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 68"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingbones View Post
That large number of views has suprised me also, not only in relation to the other models, but also in relationship to posting active.

I notice that if I don't logout after checking the "remember me" box when I log in, that my last visit date does not update when I reaccess the forum.

Is it possible that the number of viewers is counting people that actually are not currently connected?

Another forum that I visit for one of my other bikes, will have 30 to 40 viewers active, but at least 5 times the posting activity as this Vulcan 900 section with 100 to 140 viewers.

Any ideas?

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota

Last edited by Shiloh; 10-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah that's weird. Cuz I haven't log'd out or re-logdin in awhile. But it has me for my last visit at like 12:15 am on the 15th. I even rebooted my computer and got back on here and it still has my last visit at that. But at least it is close. So the problem with the amount of views might not be so off.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350