Utterly Rediculous Question... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
WoodMath

Question Utterly Rediculous Question...

But I still have to ask, and hope my lack of knowledge regarding motorcycles isn't too aparent.

My VN900 is my first Motorcycle Ever. And only the second one I've ever rode(I think the motorcyle in the state sponsored safety course was also a Kawaski but Can't be sure.)

Anyway. Does anything different happen when you stall the engine versuses while moving versuses at a stop? I unknowingly started in second, (either that or the high 40s cold affected my hands in such that I was not able to engage the clutch as fast.)

I would probably say the latter since I sucessfully got going from the stop sign making a left turn, but then stalled it, and restarted the ignition at the end of the turn, while the bike was in motion (~5mph)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMath View Post
But I still have to ask, and hope my lack of knowledge regarding motorcycles isn't too aparent.

My VN900 is my first Motorcycle Ever. And only the second one I've ever rode(I think the motorcyle in the state sponsored safety course was also a Kawaski but Can't be sure.)

Anyway. Does anything different happen when you stall the engine versuses while moving versuses at a stop? I unknowingly started in second, (either that or the high 40s cold affected my hands in such that I was not able to engage the clutch as fast.)

I would probably say the latter since I sucessfully got going from the stop sign making a left turn, but then stalled it, and restarted the ignition at the end of the turn, while the bike was in motion (~5mph)
I'm not sure what your question is. You didn't hurt the bike if that's what you're after, and you didn't fall over so it's all good.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
KWD

I stalled my se this summer on a detour with a whole line of cars and worse bikes behind me. I was in second. No doubt we've all done it so don't fret the only harm is to our self asteem

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Top Contributor

no dumb quesitons... just unclear ones... LOL

If I understand you, it doesnt hurt the engine either way.... put in clutch and restart and shift to proper gear and go !

I recover from this situation myself if I left it in second without killing it, by engaging the clutch a little more slowly on the roll out from the stop as a normal practice. If I left it in second by mistake, the engine lugs a bit but will pretty quickly get up to a speed where you can fully engage the clutch. You can tell this happened before it dies with practice.

If you left it in 3rd or 4th, you are toast and it will die....but try engaging the clutch more deliberately from start as a normal practice and you will find this works....
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMath View Post

Last edited by Tallannie; 10-12-2009 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM

My second week of riding I stalled at a red light next to a guy on a little white scooter. It was humiliating but could have been worse.

VROC #31005
'09 Vulcan 900 Classic turned LT
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Nothing different happens. Just need to restart and get into a gear that you know you can go from. 1st or 2nd. You need to downshift if your in 3rd or more or else you will just stall the bike again. I sometimes take off from 2nd. As long as you can get it to go again. Smaller bikes will need more trottle and clutch work to get going from 2nd. On my 1700 I have enough power to go from 2nd no problem. So next time it happens and you know your in second just start up like you did, either take off again in 2nd or downshift to 1st and go. Dont even think about it or what others think. Happens to everyone.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM

I've be riding quite a while, but stilled stalled the Vulcan at a stop within the first mile of ownership. I think it was a second gear start, but I really don't remember for sure. Not a big (or even a little) deal

Happens to everyone.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:47 AM

Lifecast is right pulling away in 2nd shouldn't be a problem the bike is more than powerfull enough, it's all about clutch control.
As for stalling the bike everybody has done it, it's a non event don't sweat it.
As for damage to the bike, not a chance not from a stall.
The only diffs between a moving stall and a standing stall is, when moving you may still have he chance to engage your clutch and roll start your bike
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM

When it stalls out like that, I have found I can't pop the clutch to start it, I have to use the starter. Something to do with the EFI, I think. I have taken off in 3rd before, it is ugly but can be done.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 PM

Done that when I do not get it all the way down to 1st, but usually realize it starting off and do not let clutch out as quickly.

I've had more problem with the heal shift on my 900LT. This is the first bike I've had with a heal shift and sometimes starting off I accidentally bump it into neutral when moving my foot from ground to floorboards. Thats a bit embassasing when accelerating through a busy intersection.

Ron
Southern Crusiers, Chapter #6
2009 Vulcan 900 LT Red/Titanium
Kury Iso Grips and Throttle Lock
Cobra Guard w/Kury Foot Rests
Kawa Windshield Lowers
Scootworks Pulley
Cobra Luggage Rack
Wolo BadBoy Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version