Help Installing Power Commander V - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Help Installing Power Commander V

I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom and recently installed Cobra Speedster Slashdowns. I purchased a PCV but the directions for install that came with it aren't very clear to me. If anyone could help me out with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

The instructions say to remove the fuel tank but is that really necessary? It seems like just unbolting it and raising it would give sufficient space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have a Cobra unit when I needed to get injectors, I unbolted the back of the tank and used a rolled towel to raise it up. I then used a bent nose set of pliers to remove the connectors for the injectors.

Like these.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for the advice. I considered just taking it to a shop and having them do it but for $180 bucks I can install it myself.haha

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxStang View Post
Awesome thanks for the advice. I considered just taking it to a shop and having them do it but for $180 bucks I can install it myself.haha
Save the money for more motorcycle parts! Good luck. If something else comes up, ask away.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Garage
I installed the pcv on my 2010 custom, it is probably possible to install with just unbolting the rear, but seems like a pain in the a**, If you are going to go thru the trouble and unbolting the tank, take the one extra step in diconneting the fuel lines and removing the tank so install of the pcv is easy as 1,2,3.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

How difficult is it to remove though with gas in the tank? Would I have to drain it out?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Several PM functions and other modifications say to remove the fuel tank. It makes it a lot easier to get to things without the fuel tank in the way. the fuel tank is not hard to remove, but it is heavy if you have a full tank of gas. ie get some help in lifting it off your bike. I have not installed any fuel management system (yet) on my 900 Custom but have made modifications where I only had to raise the rear of the tank to perform. It's a tight fit sometimes, but really its tomato tomato.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Garage
Very easy... after the two bolts go to the left (as if you were sitting on it) and on the under side of the tank there are the lines. it is a "c" clip type of deal (don't quote me it has been a while since i looked at that) as i recall once you undo that the lines should come off easy (i think its also on youtube).. i suggest getting something like taping saran wrap on the prongs and hoses so when you move the tank gas does not spill anywhere. once you have that done its easy to lift and just place it on a towel on your bench or something soft so you don't scratch the paint...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Top Contributor

I installed it on a 1700 Nomad so I'm not sure bout yours. I just took the tank off, it's easier to get my hands in the injector area that way. Made it real easy to snap tie up the cables when done. I also had to wire into the coil trigger wires, but yours might not have the ignition thing.

On the (my) Nomad you can raise the rear of the tank about 3.5" without the tank hitting the ignition tower. A 2x4 turned sideways is a nice prop to unhook all the underside gas stuff.

Last edited by R_W_B; 04-05-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode