Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Preference for Front Tire Size

12K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  SteveJB 
#1 ·
I been "lurking" here readin' about 900's. What are the pros and cons of the "80/90 X 21 front tire vs the 130/90 X 16? Not tryin' to start a war, just curious. :confused:

#2 ·
It's preference I think. The shorter/wider 16" will feel and rider more stable, but will feel more bumps. The taller/narrower 21" will roll over bumps better, but you'll feel more ruts in the road. Just my observation riding both sizes. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Haven't ridden a Custom but my wifes Honda Shadow has a front wheel similar to the custom (though not as big in diameter)

I prefer the larger wheel myself, it's more stable, smoother, doesn't follow grooves in the road. To me, it's a better choice for the type of distance riding and commuting I do, just an all around more comfortable ride.

However, my wifes bike has a lot more road feel, and that skinny tire effortlessly lays into corners; I've heard that about the 900 custom vs the classic as well. I sometimes steal my wifes bike just because of how nimble and fun it is! Of course; it likes to follow grooves; which my wife hates!

#4 ·
I've moved from the 80/90-21 to the 90/90-21 and finally settled on a 120/70-21. The smaller tires will follow every crack in the road and since I've moved to the 120 I like it alot better.

#6 ·
I'm running the 120 on the stock custom front wheel, as for the fender I'm still looking for one. I was going to run by a local custom Harley shop and look through their fenders for one that will fit.

#7 ·
So you just have a naked wheel with the 120? No fender, no bracket? Wow, this is the first time I hear about anyone using a bigger size than the 90/90 (which I understand fits all the stock parts well with sufficient clearances...)

Can you possibly post a picture of the front end of the bike?

I am due for a front tire replacement soon, so I would love to hear any views of such an alternative...

#8 ·
I've ridden both, my brother's classic and my custom. Regarding the front tire, I feel that the skinny tire is a little more agile, but honestly it comes down to personal preference. I don't like the look of spokes and I don't care for floor boards. My bro was the opposite.

for reference:
2009 Classic

2007 Custom

#9 ·
The number one reason is it looks very nice. The bigger wheel is a chik magnet. It scares the bad guys. It misses lots of rocks, nails, and screws... the fatter tires get them all. It is so easy to air up, I sometimes just blow in it like it's a balloon. It smoothly divides the water on the road in rain allowing back tire more suction(yes! suction).

Ok thats all i can think of right now. :)

#11 ·
my bike started life as a stock 09 classic, so i have tried both tires. i put about 8000 miles on the 16" before changing over to the 21" wheel. the 16" felt slightly heavier to turn, but handled bumps slightly better. the 21" feels better in corners to me, but is a little bumpier because the tire doesnt have as much surface area. both wheels/tires felt fine to me. i have no problem with either one. the only reason i changed over was to get tubeless tires.

#15 ·
ordered Metz 90/90/21 yesterday should be in early next week

#17 ·
#19 ·
#21 ·
That thread is real old, but you never know. Might have better luck posting your question on a new post. Welcome to the forums "5Tymez"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.