Good brake fluid change how-to? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good brake fluid change how-to?

So my bike is 6 years old and I just bought it used last Sept. Given the state it was in I highly doubt that the brake fluid has ever been changed. Reading the recent thread about the brakes gave me the notion that I need to change the fluid this spring. I'm not afraid to do the work on my own but I have never had to change fluid on a bike (or a car for that matter which is weird considering how many times I've worked on brakes otherwise) and was wondering if anybody had a link to a good walk-through. Ideally one for the 900 but I reckon any will do since almost all non-ABS motorcycle brake systems are pretty much similar. Unfortunately, I don't have the original manual either so I can't use that to help. Are special tools required on a bike to make sure the system is purged of air? I might ask the father-in-law to lend a hand since he's a better wrench than I am. Thanks for any help as always.

2013 HD Super Glide Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Day View Post
So my bike is 6 years old and I just bought it used last Sept. Given the state it was in I highly doubt that the brake fluid has ever been changed. Reading the recent thread about the brakes gave me the notion that I need to change the fluid this spring. I'm not afraid to do the work on my own but I have never had to change fluid on a bike (or a car for that matter which is weird considering how many times I've worked on brakes otherwise) and was wondering if anybody had a link to a good walk-through. Ideally one for the 900 but I reckon any will do since almost all non-ABS motorcycle brake systems are pretty much similar. Unfortunately, I don't have the original manual either so I can't use that to help. Are special tools required on a bike to make sure the system is purged of air? I might ask the father-in-law to lend a hand since he's a better wrench than I am. Thanks for any help as always.
There are a number of youtube videos you can search, but this one is pretty good. There all pretty much the same process. The one specialty tool I bought (have not done the maintenance yet) is a hand vacuum (available at Harbor Freight) to pull the fluid thru, but there are methods where you can gravity bleed the brakes.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! That will work great. Looks like a vacuum pump is the way to go.

2013 HD Super Glide Custom

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Day View Post
Thanks! That will work great. Looks like a vacuum pump is the way to go.
Here's the one from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...r-header-39522

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
A vacuum pump is definitely the way to go! But a helpful wife works too! hehehe.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
A vacuum pump is definitely the way to go! But a helpful wife works too! hehehe.
I like the wifey involvement After all, she does have a vested intrest in the brakes working!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM

I always get lot of useful information from you guys. Thanks a lot.
Today I bleeded both front and rear brake fluid. I was doing it for the first time and thanks to you guys it took me only about 20 min for the whole process. I got a Mityvac from harbor fright. The fluid that came out was dark like coffee color. I think the fluid got bleeded for the first time. Now I am wondering that why didn't I do it earlier. From now on I will remember 2 years time line for the brake fluid. Thanks a lot.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Top Contributor

a vacuum line hose connected to the bleeder screw into a glass jar of DOT4 brake fluid worked fine for me.

2008 Harley Davidson FLHRC (Road King)

2009 Kawasaki VN900C "Sunni" - Traded

1985 Honda Rebel CMX250C "Juice"- Sold
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM

I changed mine a couple weeks back using the Wife method. Only took half an hour. The first few squirts was black. I'm thinking I'll change mine a little more often from now on.

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement