Changing Stock Filter - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Changing Stock Filter

Well I really wanted to get a good intake, but can't swing it right now. And with a decent sized ride coming up, I didn't want to have to get gas. Hoping to make it round trip. Its only 120 miles. I have been getting 140 per tank, and thats only putting 3.5 gal in. So I could go further. But with rides sometimes parade stuff goes slow. And since it is on Sat I didn't want to wait for Uni-foam to do the Mod. Plus finding the time to do the mod. So I painfully shelled out the 36 bucks for a factory. I did remove the screen though. So I guess I will see what I can get for mileage.

Before I did this I didn't think my filter was all that dirty. Then I compared the two.

That was sitting on the counter.

Then I decided to hold them up to my bathroom lights, which are really freakin bright. Wow. What a difference. Not sure if it was original or not. But if it was. Thats what 13k miles look like.
I do like on the new one they used a screw that has an allen head instead of a phillips. Which is great, cuz why should you have to have two tools to the job. You need an allen for the cover screws, why have to look for another tool.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Top Contributor

Uni Foam will make a big difference and it takes less than a 1/2 hour. A rotozip will make fast work out of relocating the airbox inlet under the idle screw. I've been in rain a few times, 6 hours straight once, and had no water problems since the airbox has a drain hole and the exhaust pipe catches most of the rain anyway.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Top Contributor

You only get 140 miles out of 3.5 gallons on a 900????

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Uni Foam will make a big difference and it takes less than a 1/2 hour. A rotozip will make fast work out of relocating the airbox inlet under the idle screw. I've been in rain a few times, 6 hours straight once, and had no water problems since the airbox has a drain hole and the exhaust pipe catches most of the rain anyway.
Yeah plan to do that. It might be a winter project, cuz I hate to be without a bike. And it seems like any project I start on I run into complications and don't get to ride that weekend. I know doing the Uni-foam will be easy, its cutting the hole. I don't want to screw it up so I was planning on removing the airbox so I can use the back side hole for a pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You only get 140 miles out of 3.5 gallons on a 900????
Exactly. Sucks. If I knew it was going to get that bad of mileage I woulda got the 1500 nomad I was looking at.

I really think that this will help. Only other thing I haven't checked yet is plugs. Haven't looked in the manuel to see how to get at them easily. My 750 was nice cuz they pointed sideways.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Top Contributor

I don't know what kind of setup you're running, but I have Cobra pipes, Ness intake, and the Cobra FI2000r set at 2-2-1. I don't do any high speed running....usually between 60-70 on main highway, and around 50 cruising the back roads. I can run 200 miles on 3.5gal set that way. You definitely were ready for an air filter change. If you haven't done so, I suggest adding some Seafoam to the tank.

To get at your plugs, remove the bolts at the rear of the tank and it will tilt up/forward. Block it up with a piece of 2x4. Use the wrench in the toolkit and you should be able to get at your plugs with no trouble.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
Yeah plan to do that. It might be a winter project, cuz I hate to be without a bike. And it seems like any project I start on I run into complications and don't get to ride that weekend. I know doing the Uni-foam will be easy, its cutting the hole. I don't want to screw it up so I was planning on removing the airbox so I can use the back side hole for a pattern.
Rotozip is easy since the plastic is fairly soft. The rubber boot from the original inlet will hide any imperfections. Cut the hole slightly smaller and finish with a file - it only takes a few minutes:

2007 Custom
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Rotozip is easy since the plastic is fairly soft. The rubber boot from the original inlet will hide any imperfections. Cut the hole slightly smaller and finish with a file - it only takes a few minutes:

what did you do to the front chrome part of the cover? no 900 insignia and the slots?

08 900 classic
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Also, what did you do w/ the hole in the back where it used to draw the air? Did you leave it open or cover it?

All for Jesus Christ

Gibby

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Top Contributor

Slotted air box cover is from HD, $55. Fits perfect over the cheesy stocker. Drill one hole and use locktite on the screw. The cover has a black dish behind the slots giving it a functional look.

Hole in back of the airbox I used a piece of gutter (3-1/2" x 2") and two 1/8" aluminum rivets. I was going to completely redo the box but figured I better leave it in tact. The rubber insert directs the air right to the air filter.

2007 Custom
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Slotted air box cover is from HD, $55. Fits perfect over the cheesy stocker. Drill one hole and use locktite on the screw. The cover has a black dish behind the slots giving it a functional look.

Hole in back of the airbox I used a piece of gutter (3-1/2" x 2") and two 1/8" aluminum rivets. I was going to completely redo the box but figured I better leave it in tact. The rubber insert directs the air right to the air filter.
Ahh, how about rain. It seems like it would suck it right into the element. Any problems w/ that Baitis?

All for Jesus Christ

Gibby

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode