Break light wont come on - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Break light wont come on

Ok, replaced my lights with LED lights and they flashed, replaced them with the original lights and now my break light will not come on. Checked my fuses. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Check to make sure your front running/turn signal bulbs are good. A bad bulb WILL make your brake light not function. Trust me, I been there. I didn't learn this until I pulled my tank and traced wires and fuses. The front are dual element, one bad leg on a bulb will cause some headaches.

His '04 Nomad 1500
His '09 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Hers '08 Suzuki C50
In work 1979 Honda CB750K

BIMC Louisiana
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Top Contributor

Check that you haven't swapped the single for the dual filament lamps in the front. I know they are keyed so as to not fit, but, I've seen it done. One can use a twin filament in a single filament application (by design) but the inverse won't fit/work.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire20 View Post
Check to make sure your front running/turn signal bulbs are good. A bad bulb WILL make your brake light not function. Trust me, I been there. I didn't learn this until I pulled my tank and traced wires and fuses. The front are dual element, one bad leg on a bulb will cause some headaches.
OK so I've had this same issue since late last season, tried changing the dual element bulb in the brake light housing and it didn't fix it. Was ready to trace the wires over the winter, but the garage was too crowded and too cold till this week. The timing of this post is very convenient! Anyway I read your reply here and just checked my running lights. All four turn signals work. The front 'running lights' (the bulbs inside the turn signal housing) light up when I turn the key. the bulbs in the rear turn signal bulbs do NOT light up when I turn the key - only when I use the signals. The brake running light lights up, but not the actual brake light. So, thinking about what you wrote above, should the rear turn signals also work as running lights - should these bulbs light up when I simply turn the key?

Also wondering if the brake light should light up when I turn the key but not power on the engine - other ones do but not sure if the brake light should. I don't mean to sound dumb, I know it's not working, I just want to know from a troubleshooting perpective so I don't have to fire it up in my garage everytime I try something!

Thanks!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Top Contributor

I've only worked on a friends 900 but followed a few. I believe that the rears are turn signal only. Are the lenses amber in color? If so, then they are turn signal only. If not amber, we need to look further. Does the brake light come on when you use either brake? Have you checked those lamps (My 800 has 2 bulbs in the tail lamp. I do not know if the 900 does also.)? Post back.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
I've only worked on a friends 900 but followed a few. I believe that the rears are turn signal only. Are the lenses amber in color? If so, then they are turn signal only. If not amber, we need to look further. Does the brake light come on when you use either brake? Have you checked those lamps (My 800 has 2 bulbs in the tail lamp. I do not know if the 900 does also.)? Post back.
The lenses are clear, single filament...so I assume they are turn only. I checked after my post. The brake light won't work with either lever, hand or foot. The brake light on the 900 is a dual filament single bulb. I changed it, no luck. I was told to trace the wires and look for possibly a bad ground...I have a tester but I'm not good with this stuff...also need to start removing parts to get to the wires..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Top Contributor

What are break lights?

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM

This happened to me today. No running light and no brake light when brake lever was pressed. Changed bulb, still nothing. What it turned out to be was the wire became slightly unplugged. When you take your seat off, in front of your tool holder, there are where the wires meet. They should be covered by a clear(ish) plastic. I looked in there and VOILA, all I had to do was push the ends together, tighter.

I hope this is all you need, too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbystar View Post
This happened to me today. No running light and no brake light when brake lever was pressed. Changed bulb, still nothing. What it turned out to be was the wire became slightly unplugged. When you take your seat off, in front of your tool holder, there are where the wires meet. They should be covered by a clear(ish) plastic. I looked in there and VOILA, all I had to do was push the ends together, tighter.

I hope this is all you need, too.
Thanks for the tip. I checked, mine was connected, which I expected since I do have a running light, just no brake light. I fiddled with it and also jiggled the wire leading under the fender while pressing the brakes. No luck. Interesting, there are two wire leads with a bit of rubber insulation on them going towards the front of the bike. They are not connected and I don't see anything to connect them to. I wonder what these are for?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Top Contributor

I've been told that the brake lamp has it's own fuse. Source has been reliable previously. Have you checked it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode