New Stock Intake Modification - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

New Stock Intake Modification

I was looking for someones stock intake a few weeks ago to play around with an idea I had to modifiy the stock intake but there was no takers.
Well I just spent a good part of the last 3 days modifying mine and here are some of the details.

My criteria was I didn't want to spend $300 dollars for and aftermarket air intake, besides the fact I didn't want to have to worry about rain getting in intake or placing a sock on. I wanted to increase filter surface area, get fresh cool air instead of sucking hot air between cylinders, and I wanted to straighten out the air flow to the throttle body, the stock air flow made 270 deg (3-90's) to get there.

Below are pictures. I was hoping this was a simple job that anyone could do, but the fact of the matter is this modification takes someone with alot of patience and good mechanical and fabrication skills. It may look simple, but this was a extremely tight fit so there was a lot of trial and error fitting. I took 30+ pictures, took notes and saved my templates.

I did take it for a short ride and it seems to have quite a bit more zip to it. I am going on a day long ride tomorrow so I will get a sense of how it performs over a long hall, and can give more details if this thread gets alot of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulcan 900 Intake A.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulcan 900 Intake B.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulcan 900 Intake C.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vulcan 900 Intake D.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	775  
Hayes21 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Top Contributor

It has a nice look to it, for sure, breathing right from the side like that. It would be interesting to see the full tale and hear the steps/mods/parts in the process.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 PM

It would be interesting to see dyno results too.

2007 Vulcan Classic
Memphis shades Fats windshield with trigger release
Kuryakyn iso grips with throttle boss
Saddleman Drifter Slant Jumbo bags
MC engine guard
Scootworks front overdrive pulley
Clear lenses, amber bulbs
Homemade Trailer

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM

its interesting..im just not sure of the snorkel on the side....maybe something with one of the harley covers over the 900 area of the cover....i was tring to come up with something myself with one of the slotted harley covers over it ...i like the straight shot idea though..
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Was the purpose of the metal plate just to close off the back side of the filter? What type of round filter element is that? I like the way that looks.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM

I like it, especially the K&N filter you can use over and over. Nice job, we need more pics

All for Jesus Christ

Gibby

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Well let me start with my trip, I went about 250mi and traveled about 50/50 interstate/local roads. This modification significantly improved the get up and go of idle and roll on. On the interstate traveling about 70-75, I could easly get by semis with just a turn of the throttle passing them quickly at 85-90 (I don't like being anywhere near them). Gas mileage for the trip average about 52 mpg, that's pretty good. I checked the plugs today and they looked good, no indication of running lean. I'm very happy with performance.
There are two downsides, this noise is much more than stock, and I found I had to wear a elastic band around my leg. I found that if your pants are a little baggy and you keep your knees in tight, it will suck your pants material in. I actually had an idea of pointing the opening down but I had this ride planned and didn't have enough time to get done. I should be able to use the existing cover for my upgraded modification.

To answer a few of the questions, first I will be probably give more detail later in the "How To" part of the forum, I have to figure out how much detail and pictures I need first.

Here is a link for a comparable dyno, I'm not going to do one. Just hit the green view button when you get to link page.
http://www.sscycle.com/modules/dyno/...&Submit=Search

The main reason I put the intake where it is, because I didn't want to worry about rain getting in, water won't travel up. I also thought about putting slots around the 900 emblem but it's right above the filter. I know a number of aftermarket filters do that, but I didn't want any chance of water getting in.

I intentionally blocked off the stock airbox, I didn't want to suck in any hot air from between the cylinders, the cooler the air the denser the charge. I even insulated the back of the aluminum with cork because of it's good heat conductivity. I started out with a 6" round straight sided filter similar to what S&S uses. The problem with that is there wasn't much room for air to get to the back side because of tight clearance. Also I found out that wouldn't work anyway because the filter isn't center on the cover circle emblem, it is offset, so it didn't clear the cover. The tappered filter really fixed both of those issues. The filter is a custom K&N filter that I found while looking at their website. I think the taper aids in transitioning the air flow gradually instead of a sharp 90 deg turn into the throttle body. The less turbulent the flow (causes hi pressure drop) the better the air flow into cylinder should be.
Hayes21 likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Wow. Outstanding job, rs900. It really looks nice and well done. If you have time on your hands, you should consider putting together a package of the parts you made and sell kits. I'm with you, the intake is better below the filter and i like it on the side... just have to make sure not to hug the engine with your legs. : )

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM

I have another question: What type of fuel processor do you use and what are it's settings? John
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:29 AM

I appreciate the work you've put into this, but one comment doesn't fit. If the vacuum sucks your pants into the intake, then surely it will draw water up and into the intake? Or am I missing something?
At any rate, I agree you should market the idea if you do have the spare time and inclination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode