new rider - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

new rider

hello im a new rider. got my 1st bike 3 weeks ago. decided to go with the 2008 vulcan 900 custom (green) i love to be defferent never seen one that color before. Havnt had any problems yet. any advice for the 1st time rider? ive put 1800 miles on it so far and absolutly love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Ernie,

I got my first bike more than fifty years ago. I had several stupid accidents with that one. I think that one of the best things a rider can do is to take a course in riding. Just because you can get from point A to poiint B only means that you have been fortunate and know how to make the bike operate under ideal conditions. What you can learn is how to avoid bad situations and what not to do if they occur. Hopefully your state also has some reasonably priced courses to take.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Iv'e got 35+ years of riding and I agree to take a motorcycle riding course. In the meantime, here are a few obvious tips. Drive defensively, don't drive in drivers blind spots, watch out in intersections for vehicles turning left. Make yourself highly visible (you already partially do this with the color of you bike), black bikes, black cloths and helmets look good but there not always easy to see (especially at dusk). Bright clothing & helmets, lots of lights on bike are all heplfull. Learn to use your front brake, it can be your enemy if not used correctly in certain situations, but don't depend on your back brake if you have to stop on a dime. The last thing I'd say is pay attention to what the other guy is doing because he probably isn't paying attention to you. I'm sure other people here can give you dozens of more tips.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniescott20 View Post
hello im a new rider. got my 1st bike 3 weeks ago. decided to go with the 2008 vulcan 900 custom (green) i love to be defferent never seen one that color before. Havnt had any problems yet. any advice for the 1st time rider? ive put 1800 miles on it so far and absolutly love it
I'm taking the MSF course this weekend and can't wait. I'm nervous as all get about dumping my brand new Vulcan 900 Custom SE but at the same time I'm still fairly confident. After MSF on Suday I'm going to start riding the neighborhood and hopefully ride to work on Tuesday. Luckily my work is only about 10 minutes away with hardly any traffic.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
My wife is also a first time rider as of this summer. She took the course right after getting her permit, and it was money well spent. An excellent course as a learning experience and for confidence building.

Always... ALWAYS assume the other driver does NOT see you. Drive defensively.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Smile

I'm in agreement with everyone else, Ernie. The moto class is your best option. Not sure where u live, but Texas just passed a law u have to take a certified class to get your license. I took the class before the law passed since I was climbing back in the saddle after 30 years and it is money well spent! Enjoy your time in the saddle and ride safe.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofiveo View Post
I'm taking the MSF course this weekend and can't wait. I'm nervous as all get about dumping my brand new Vulcan 900 Custom SE but at the same time I'm still fairly confident. After MSF on Suday I'm going to start riding the neighborhood and hopefully ride to work on Tuesday. Luckily my work is only about 10 minutes away with hardly any traffic.
I am not sure what state or who is doing the course, but in Minnesota where I took the course put on by the local tech collages and the state I assume. You could only ride your own bike if is was 250 and under. They provided the bikes. and they ones they had were alot more nimble so the test were a lot easier so you didn't worry bout tipping.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 AM

I'm in Virginia and luckily once I complete the MSF course at the community college (they are providing the bikes) I can legally drive when I have certfiicate in hand. In VA the course takes care of the written test and driving test. Once DMV opens on Tuesday I'm there to get my endorsement on my license. I have up to 30 days to ride with the cerftificate but I'm not going to.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
I am not sure what state or who is doing the course, but in Minnesota where I took the course put on by the local tech collages and the state I assume. You could only ride your own bike if is was 250 and under. They provided the bikes. and they ones they had were alot more nimble so the test were a lot easier so you didn't worry bout tipping.
I took it the MSF here too and the bikes were nimble but many of them were umm, very used. Most of the turn signals were gone or badly damaged from being dropped. They had us doing a drill where we were driving in a line and I pulled out of the drill and off to the side. One of the instructors came running over mad at me for leaving the drill and I informed him that I thought it best since the steering head bolt came off and rolled away! He had zero tools, luckily I had my truck with plenty!

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode