900 a girl's bike? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

900 a girl's bike?

I was reading some old reviews and articles on the 900 custom and found it was used in women's cruiser comparison.I got that same junk when i owned a 1200 sportster.perhaps 900 cc's and 600 pounds is for girls, but my bike seems manly enough for me.Sure its no big twin, but it certainly isnt a bike better suited for ladies than men.Those references irritate me.

Bikeless and hating it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Top Contributor

When the wife is at work, I sometimes use her 900 vs my V2K to go run the mountain twisties, as it's MUCH lighter to toss around. While a lot of women DO choose the VN 900, I have NO problem being seen on it, except for that pink license plate frame with the name "Barbara." So far, no guys have tried hitting on me. Yet.
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM

I've owned a BUNCH of "girls" bikes, to me, they're just more fun to ride. I don't let my ego get the best of me and ride what I want to ride.

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM
Top Contributor

Girl's bike???. There is no such thing. There are only bikes. We had a lady follower on the forum with a V2K. Does that mean we all have girl's bikes? But hey I am also raising a daughter that likes to wear her princess dresses in her sandbox while playing with her tonka toys.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Don't care for sexism, just shows the stupidity of the author. My daughter's favorite firearm is the 45 ACP I carry on my hip. I told her when I die, she can have it ... maybe. If you want to start a fight, just tell her she needs to carry a "girlie gun" and get ready for an a$$-whoopin. She also likes driving my Ford F-250. Come to think of it, she likes pretty much all my toys ... I might have to watch what that special "seasoning" is she is putting in my food.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

A point or two I would like to make: what defines girls bike and man's bike.Mt most recent bikes were 96 goldwing,harley ultra and just before this bike a valkyrie.Those are man's bikes i suppose.it seems that if a bike has a big motor, and is very large or very large and powerful, ts a man's bike.or perhaps beyond a certain amount of cc's, say anything over 1100 is a man's bike,etc.it seems only cruiser guys have this mentality or hangup.I personally don't have it.Last year i saw a girl that couldnt have weighed over 125 riding a harley ultra. And she was cute too,feminine looking, no burley woman with a crewcut.

So itbothers me when a major magazine calls the 900 class of bikes women's cruisers.That part i havent figured out.I think I am afraid if I ride what is considered a "woman's " bike someone might think I am some sort of girlie man. I guess you make of it what you wish.I wonder when they will have a guy's bikes comparison test.I think when bagger v twins are tested one must assume those are men's bikes.I ride the vulcan because i like it, it looks great, runs great, and being 64 i was tired of riding all those behemoth bikes.I think my blacked out vulcan is too cool for someone my age, but its MY bike.

Bikeless and hating it.
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Don't care for sexism, just shows the stupidity of the author. My daughter's favorite firearm is the 45 ACP I carry on my hip. I told her when I die, she can have it ... maybe. If you want to start a fight, just tell her she needs to carry a "girlie gun" and get ready for an a$$-whoopin. She also likes driving my Ford F-250. Come to think of it, she likes pretty much all my toys ... I might have to watch what that special "seasoning" is she is putting in my food.
Your daughter is very cool indeed,if you dont mind me saying so.I mean no offense.

Bikeless and hating it.
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
First; I want to say that the 900 is a great bike, whether you're a guy or a girl.
Next, I view women as equals! Different but equal.

That being said.
Women are different!
They are chemically different which affects their thought patterns and reactions to emotional stimulus.
They are physically different (MANY THANKS BE TO GOD ). Women have longer legs, shorter arms and lower muscle mass.
Women are mechanically different. Their bodies don't metabolize alcohol as quickly as men and their muscles don't utilize oxygen as quickly as men.

By no means does that mean men are better.
If one subscribes to the belief that men are superior because they larger and stronger; then it must follow, that every man that is bigger and stronger than themself is superior to them.

With that, I think we do a disservice to our sons and daughters by forcing a one size fits all mandate between the sexes.

I always like hearing the people that get worked up when they hear someone say that a man makes a better firefighter agree whole heavyhearted with the idea of a man being a better fashion designer.

Why is it sexist to say a man is better at a strength related activity but it's PC to say a man is better at a gender bending activity.

Can you tell I have a son?

Anyway; I don't think the 900 is a girls bike.
But, I don't see anything wrong with designing a "Womens bike" or a "Girls gun".
I don't believe we should restrict access to anyone, but providing an option isn't a bad thing.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage
Bikes r bikes. As long as my Vulcan not pink or painted with flowers and unicorns I am good to go. I wouldn't mind to ride with ladies on the Vulcan's. ��
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Top Contributor

These are "girl's bikes"............
https://www.google.com/search?q=girl...ient=firefox-a

The 900 is a full fledge motorcycle for any man or woman.....................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode