Custom exhaust - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Custom exhaust

So I'm in the market for a new exhaust and after doing a lot of research I was looking into the vance and hines twin slash in black for my 900 custom se.

Before biting the bullet I was thinking about just cutting the exhaust before the cats and weld on two turn down pieces of pipe and make a custom exhaust for next too nothing.

Has anyone attempted this or recommend against it? Keep in mind I do not have any kind of fuel processor and am wondering if I would need one if I go this route. Thanks in advance

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
A few folks have talked about it but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. That'll be LOUD for sure.

As far as a fuel processor? Every bike is different. If you have an aftermarket intake (including modified air box or high flow filter), I could pretty much guarantee you you'll need a fuel processor if you cut the pipes (but you likely with the the V&H also). With stock intake, maybe, maybe not. Problem is, the bike is lean to begin with, so a less restrictive exhaust could potentially lean it out even further.

It would definitely not HURT to get a fuel processor and in this guys humble opinion, I'd just do the custom route if you think you can do a good job (then it'll be unique, not off-the-shelf), and then use the money you saved to get a good fuel processor. It'll let you dial it in (A dyno is the best way!), it'll also open the door to buying an aftermarket intake in the future if you decided you wanted to just open 'er up and give her a boost in power! Exhaust or intake alone won't usually give meaningful gains in performance. It's usually done for looks or sound by itself. But both intake and exhaust, combined with a fuel processor, can give some SERIOUS gains. Some folks have reported, after dyno tuning, numbers as much as 30 horsepower more than stock. THAT is a worthwhile gain.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Custom exhaust

Would suggest they be turned out some, maybe 45degrees. Streight down, they will drone something fierce on any long ride. Ever ride in a car with pipes ending under the car? You will feel the sound!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Project always worth a shot and in my book if I did it myself then it means just that much more of a feel good. But V & H or Cobras are both great choices and make a huge difference in sound compared to even OEM fully de-baffled, been there done that. But totally agree with Romans5.8 on the processor certainly won't hurt. Now mine did not need it but again most find in the higher elevation's it is almost is a must. I have literally no pops and plug checks confirm I am burning properly, that being said again the processor don't cost you your left leg, maybe a right toe, but cannot hurt to add it.

Tires Down!!!
2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
Mustang Day Tripper w/upgrade insert
Cobra Swept Exhaust
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with throttle boss and Stiletto Ends
Kuryakyn Stiletto footpegs front, ISO Wings Rear
Irate Flame grill and regulator cover
Xelement Saddlebags and Tool Bag
Aftermarket Flame Mirrors
Custom Speedo Dial (R.I.P. w/respect to the creator)
Adjure 7" Ventura Flame with Skull lens
Barron 2" lowering kit, GenMar 2" Risers
Cobra FI2000r 2-2-1
Thunder MFG Tornado Intake
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Garage
I DID IT! I took my stock pipes and cut them at the weld where they go up to 3.5in. Then removed the cats and baffle packs and welded just the 3.5 in tubes back on. It was so loud it hurt, problem was it was not enough back pressure for the engine. The EFI light stayed on and whenever I got on the gas even in nuetral the engine would cut out. I ended up putting JUST the cats back in. Now it has enough backpressure and plenty of perfectly toned rumble.

When in trouble, when in doubt, hit the trottle scream and shout.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I DID IT! I took my stock pipes and cut them at the weld where they go up to 3.5in. Then removed the cats and baffle packs and welded just the 3.5 in tubes back on. It was so loud it hurt, problem was it was not enough back pressure for the engine. The EFI light stayed on and whenever I got on the gas even in nuetral the engine would cut out. I ended up putting JUST the cats back in. Now it has enough backpressure and plenty of perfectly toned rumble.
Pics or it didn't happen.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
They look just like they did stock just no end caps. In the 3.5in tubes there is a smaller core containing the baffles and cats. All the modding is internal. I removed them and put the just cats back in. If you really dont believe me i can send picts, but the pipes are ceramic coated flat black like stock. (its an 09 custom SE) I didn't take picts of them cut apart with the sawzall. Not my finest moment. but now you cant tell.

When in trouble, when in doubt, hit the trottle scream and shout.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Oh okay I misunderstood. I thought you cut them off as in made them SHORTER, rather than just cutting, gutting, and re-welding.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM

Custom exhaust

Can't answer your question but love my V&H twin slash blacks. Sound great and look ba!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

bit the bullet and installed the V&H today. I left the baffles that it come with in and love the sound. way better then de baffled. once I get to ride it I will see if I need to marble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode