Opinions on exhaust sound - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on exhaust sound

OK, so I've listened to what seems like a million exhausts clips and have come to the conclusion that they don't really tell you much other than they are all louder than stock. I'm interested in opinions for those who have actually compared different pipes. From the sound clips I've listened to, it seems like the V&H slash-cuts (My personal fav looks wise) have a very blat blat blat type tinny sound. The cobra speedster longs seem to have a nicer tone to them, deeper, they look OK also. I wouldn't want something that is to loud or annoying. I know some have wrapped the V&H baffles to subdue the exhaust note a bit. Some Metric cruisers just sound crappy with aftermarket pipes. I heard a Honda last week (Not sure of the model) with V&H slashcuts on it and it really sounded like krap-o-la. I probably wouldn't even entertain changing them but the chrome on my exhausts is a bit pitted from previous owner lack of proper care. I thought about having my stockers Jet-Hot coated......had great luck doing this with other bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Top Contributor

You want to hear what my Cobra Longs sound like.....exactly? Go to the Cobra website and listen to their soundclip of the Longs on the 900.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM

I have a set of the Bub Jughuggers on mine and it's a bit loud. But then when your going down the road most of the noise is behind you.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Not sure what kind of bike you have but have V&H bagger duals on my 06 Vulcan Nomad. They come with some type of fabric looking stuff wrapped around the baffles. Took out baffles, removed the fabric and put baffles back in. When I crank it up and let it idle and close my eyes it almost sounds like a hog.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You want to hear what my Cobra Longs sound like.....exactly? Go to the Cobra website and listen to their soundclip of the Longs on the 900.

Thanks Jim but unfortunately at work (My only source of internet....believe it or not, I live in an area with no high speed internet available) youtube is blocked. I can get photobucket sound/video but that's about it. Would you say it sounds similar to a Harley? My sisters 06 750 Honda with cobra's sounds similar to a sportster but not quite as loud. Do you feel it is irritating at a cruise (Highway) or is most of the sound behind you? I figured the longer exhaust would be mellower and put it more behind.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Top Contributor

Your 900 has a totally different (to me) sound at idle than a HD. The idle is way too fast to get the lope you need and if you slow it down you can starve your engine of oil at idle. FYI, the Cobra website doesn't use YouTube for it's sound. You log in and go to the page for the 900's. If you click on the sound byte, it plays over Windows Media....a temp download to the 'puter. The Longs are kinda sharp at first, but quite frankly, I thought they were a skosh easier on the ears than my debaffled stockers. They do mellow out some after a couple thousand miles. There are quiet baffles on the market for them from Cobra and a couple of others. To really get them to "bark" add an aftermarket intake. That seems to really open things up.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM

My VN900 had V&H slash cut pipes installed when I bought it and I struck a deal with the dealer to swap them out for stock pipes. The V&H were way too loud, particularly when just idling and putting around. Its one thing for pipes to be load when your on it, its another thing altogether how loud and obnoxious the V&H pipes are when just idling. I have heard a VN900 with Cobras and they sounded very good - not as barky as the V&H and deeper and more satisfying than stock pipes. Maybe someday I'll pony up some $ and swap the stock for Cobras...

Doug in NH

'08 VN900 Classic
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim...........didn't realize that. I'll give it a listen. I'll most likely just keep it stock and try some chrome polish to pretty it up or send them out to Jet Hot. Maybe I'll go with the black look.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 PM

I have the hard krome 2 in 1 exhaust on mine and they are hella loud! Im always getting tons of compliments, money well spent!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM

I have Hard Krome Strippers, the sound clips on you tube are better than what I can record. But, a lot louder and deeper sound than stock or de-baffled. As already stated, it doesn't sound like a Harley though. When I cranked up my bike the first time after installing the pipes, I smiled bigger than I have in a long time! I highly recommend Hard Krome.

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Hard Krome Strippers
Barons Big Air Kit
Saddlemen Solo Seat
Saddlemen Teardrop Bags/Easy Brackets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode