Is a Power Commander Needed - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Is a Power Commander Needed

I've committed and bought a Vance and Hines twin slash staggered exhaust for my 2008 Custom. I also installed a K&N air filter. My question is do I need a Power Commander?

Last edited by Lefty22; 03-14-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: new pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You are probably okay since you are still running the stock airbox, even with a K&N filter. But, would check your plugs after a couple thousand miles to see if they show signs of running lean. I ran debaffled (full) pipes with a K&N and saw no issue of running lean. But, once I went to a new intake (ArlenNess Big Sucker) needed a fuel mgmt system.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I got the exhaust today and will install them tomorrow.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage
U will love it!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

When you get tired of the decel popping you can try plugging the hose going to the secondary air supply control valve (marbling). If it's still a nuisance then buy a cheap Cobra fi2000 three pot fuel manager and you can dial out the popping. No need to spend a lot of cash on a PCV.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Just be aware that every bike is different! Even though others do it without, yours might not.

Also, the cure for the decel pop is often setting the idle where it needs to be (between 950 and 1050rpms). SEVERAL people on this forum have commented the same. Most folks set the idle way way too low, which causes other problems (oil starvation to the top end, etc.). My THEORY is, that the low idle position is creating a 'rich' environment causing the exhaust popping. Remember exhaust popping is the result of running RICH. Higher flow pipes and intake create a LEAN condition on an unmodified fuel system. So the only way you get a RICH condition on a bike that's running LEAN is to reduce the amount of air below what the bike is mapped to be running. You CAN dial this out with a computer, OR, you can fix the issue entirely by setting the idle properly.

Also, running regular gas seems to fix the popping for some. Premium fuel resists burning and can burn longer, meaning it can pop. (Also, because someone always mentions it, Kawasaki recommends 87 octane for the 900. The '91' on the seat sticker is RON, which is the way they measure it overseas. Similar to kmh vs mph. Over here it's measured in R+M/2. 87R+M/2=91RON)

Just throwing that out there! If the bike is running lean you should certainly get some sort of fuel management. But if it's not, and you're getting decel pops- well; either way the idle should be set correctly!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just be aware that every bike is different! Even though others do it without, yours might not.

Also, the cure for the decel pop is often setting the idle where it needs to be (between 950 and 1050rpms). SEVERAL people on this forum have commented the same. Most folks set the idle way way too low, which causes other problems (oil starvation to the top end, etc.). My THEORY is, that the low idle position is creating a 'rich' environment causing the exhaust popping. Remember exhaust popping is the result of running RICH. Higher flow pipes and intake create a LEAN condition on an unmodified fuel system. So the only way you get a RICH condition on a bike that's running LEAN is to reduce the amount of air below what the bike is mapped to be running. You CAN dial this out with a computer, OR, you can fix the issue entirely by setting the idle properly.

Also, running regular gas seems to fix the popping for some. Premium fuel resists burning and can burn longer, meaning it can pop. (Also, because someone always mentions it, Kawasaki recommends 87 octane for the 900. The '91' on the seat sticker is RON, which is the way they measure it overseas. Similar to kmh vs mph. Over here it's measured in R+M/2. 87R+M/2=91RON)

Just throwing that out there! If the bike is running lean you should certainly get some sort of fuel management. But if it's not, and you're getting decel pops- well; either way the idle should be set correctly!
Boy, I wish this were true. The VN750 has a horrible decel pop and you can't fix it by increasing idle. The popping is caused by the emission system burning exhaust gas. The only true way to get rid of it is to block off the emission system. As with the VN750, richer fuel conditions helps eliminate the popping, which is what the PC will do. Our bikes, as with most factory bikes, are set to run lean which will get the exhaust really hot which leads to random combustion of the exhaust gas via the emission system.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiesercracker View Post
Boy, I wish this were true. The VN750 has a horrible decel pop and you can't fix it by increasing idle. The popping is caused by the emission system burning exhaust gas. The only true way to get rid of it is to block off the emission system. As with the VN750, richer fuel conditions helps eliminate the popping, which is what the PC will do. Our bikes, as with most factory bikes, are set to run lean which will get the exhaust really hot which leads to random combustion of the exhaust gas via the emission system.
That's a VN750. We're talking about Vulcan 900's here. And myself and several others have been able to cure the decel pop by setting the idle correctly and running 87 octane fuel.

Either way, the idle shouldn't be below 950 RPM's, even if it sounds 'cool', this is an overhead cam engine, the oil pump needs to be turning fast enough to get the oil up there so those cams and valves don't starve of oil. Among other issues, like potentially reduced charging output which can stress the battery and charging system, etc. Kawasaki designed the bike to run at 950+ RPM's, so idling it at 700 or 800 RPM's is not so good!

I've got fully debaffled pipes, no power commander, and don't have a lick of popping. But if I lower my idle and/or start running the high octane stuff it'll pop like crazy.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

OMG this exhaust sounds GREAT!

Installed this morning and it only took about 2 hours to remove the old and install the new. Have not had any popping as of yet. When I started the bike and gave it a rev the neighbor kid across the street came to their window.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Interesting conversation here. I'm confused however in what the connection is between keeping the idle at factory specs. and decel popping which occurs when the bike is coming down from an RPM well above the idle setting. My decel popping occurs when I'm trailing the throttle, say at 2%. Above that and at zero throttle no popping. That's with a PCV & Autotune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode