hd guys make me laugh. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

hd guys make me laugh.

I'll start out by saying that in no way am i hd bashing. hd's are beautiul bikes. its the riders that crack me up. so i pull up to a hd at a light on my way home. it looked like a late 90's or early 2000 street glide or something like that. so we both say hi to eachother and i follow it with a "nice bike." However his bike looked a little beat up.the main reason why i threw it out there was because i wanted to see what his response would be. My 12' vn900 classic se looked a hell of a lot nicer than his did as i take really good care of my bike. he then took the next few moments looking my bike over. he had to be starring for at least 30-40sec. he said nothing. just looked straight and rode off when the light turned green. it made me laugh, not even a "yours too." Now, i dont need him to tell me i have a nice ride because i know i do. its just funny that some, not all, hd guys have the mindset if its not a hd then it aint sh*t. this hasnt been my expirence with all hd guys just about half of them. its ok though, to each their own. anyone have similar expirences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Not the quite the same, but I have a friend who's been riding an '02 Nomad. Over the winter he bought his dream bike; a late model HD dresser (somethin' glide). Anyway, he's talking about his new bike and he says "When I park them side by side, I gotta say the Nomad is the better looking bike, more style." A few days later a mutual friend tells me he feels a little cramped on the Glide. The bars and boards are too close to the seat, the bike just feels small. Today I hear he sold the Nomad.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
I'll start out by saying that in no way am i hd bashing. hd's are beautiul bikes. its the riders that crack me up. so i pull up to a hd at a light on my way home. it looked like a late 90's or early 2000 street glide or something like that. so we both say hi to eachother and i follow it with a "nice bike." However his bike looked a little beat up.the main reason why i threw it out there was because i wanted to see what his response would be. My 12' vn900 classic se looked a hell of a lot nicer than his did as i take really good care of my bike. he then took the next few moments looking my bike over. he had to be starring for at least 30-40sec. he said nothing. just looked straight and rode off when the light turned green. it made me laugh, not even a "yours too." Now, i dont need him to tell me i have a nice ride because i know i do. its just funny that some, not all, hd guys have the mindset if its not a hd then it aint sh*t. this hasnt been my expirence with all hd guys just about half of them. its ok though, to each their own. anyone have similar expirences?
Yes, true, very nice bikes indeed those hd's are. Kind of like the gun scenario, (not to raise any other remarks please) guns don't killl people, people do. Harley's don't make people act silly, people do. They often adopt a perspective on life that makes their life paradigm "hd". Again, as you say, not all people. But, seems to happen with things that are more expensive or items or individuals who have "clout" (popularity) behind their name.

But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Garage
I have a buddy that's has owned a Suzuki vl1500 for a number of years and most of my friends have Harleys except a few of us and the attitude seems to take a week or two to adopt because when he bought a mid 90's softail the first week all he did was complain about how uncomfortable it was and how much better the Suzuki was within 2 weeks it was Harley or nothing even tho he can't ride.more than an hour at a time on it lol

95 VN1500A
93 VN 1500A
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

When I first started riding in the mid '90's the attitude was starting to change about none HD's by HD's. Very rarely would I even get a nod from an HD rider, just attitude. Nowadays we just nod to each other and ride on. Frankly I don't care. Riding is riding, just enjoy the ride, the day and/or the weather. If they feel they need to be snooty then eff'm.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

This is called "confirmation bias," which happens when a person possesses something and comes to see it as the best - what else can he do? He's invested in it, so it just has to be the best, or he's admitting that he screwed up and made a bad choice. In the case of HDs, of course,the hype only adds to the perceived "greatness" of the brand, and how it reflects on owners. Or so they think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddyboy View Post
I have a buddy that's has owned a Suzuki vl1500 for a number of years and most of my friends have Harleys except a few of us and the attitude seems to take a week or two to adopt because when he bought a mid 90's softail the first week all he did was complain about how uncomfortable it was and how much better the Suzuki was within 2 weeks it was Harley or nothing even tho he can't ride.more than an hour at a time on it lol

2008 VN900 Custom
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM

I've been ragging a guy I see at work everyday. He bought a something glide that he paid 12k for thats about 6 years old. He showed me a picture of it, it's a nice bike.

Funny part is the day he picked it up it was 50 degrees and about a 45 minute ride, he trailered it home LOL. So I'm like you spent 12k on a bike you've wanted all your life and didn't ride it home.

2 weeks have passed and each day I ask him if it's in the parking lot and he says no it's too cold, today he asks me where he can buy a helmet so he can ride with his other HD buddies this weekend. I told him go to Walmart LOL.

so 12k for a dream bike and two weeks no helmet to ride it with, wait til Monday I'll tell him he jinxed the bike and it'll spend it's life on a trailer or in the shop.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Top Contributor

Have a friend I hadn't seen in a year, we connected over the Internet and when we realized we'd both bought new bikes (my 2012 Classic SE), his a single seat something cruiser, we met half way between homes for lunch. Afterward we went for a 25 mile ride and stopped for something to drink. He had been leading and I stayed right with him. We both had added crash bars and windshields. He gave my bike a long look, walked around it and asked if I'd mind telling him what it cost me. I told him. His head dropped and he groaned, "I knew I paid too much and should have looked at other bikes." The difference was enough to pay my taxes and insurance for 3-4 years.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a buddy at work that has an hd. he's probably in the minority about acknowledging other bikes.he's riddin all types of bike including a a kawasaki the he put over 100,000mi on. first thing he told me before i got my bike was not to get a hd. At least not as my first bike that would be a daily rider. ive met other hd owners that share a love for all bikes not just their's.i enjoy talking to those dudes, gives me a chance to see what they like and dont like about their bikes.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Had a guy at work pull in next to me at work one night on his Ultra Glide and says "One day maybe you'll get a big boy bike". Funny thing is later he said he missed the power of the Valkery he traded in on this one, and I almost never see him riding it. My brothers bike had been back to the shop 6 times for either parts falling off, breaking, or just wouldnt start in the 1st 2 years he had it. My bike was back once 30 days after I bought it because of a bad fan. I guess the more you pay the more it needs repaired when you 1st get it. Have road a couple Sportsters, an 883, and a 1200. Didnt see anything speacial about them. The attitude mainly, then the reliabilty and cost are the reasons I'll probably never own one. Mainly the attitude of some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode