I didn't know matching paint was going to be a problem! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I didn't know matching paint was going to be a problem!

I plan to two tone my batwing and hard bag's. I thought it would be a snap! It's Kawasaki metallic titanium and OEM pin stripe. Painter said he can't get the code. Bring in the fender and he will try to match it. No promises and he didn't know what to do about the pin stripe. This painter was referred by the Harley shop. Anyone else have problems matching the factory paint and pin stripe? Also added the Baron front pulley and 170/80 rear tire. I went with the 9" spoiler windshield, because it looked so COOL!! It's to low for me. Like having no windshield! Should have listened to ya'll and got the 12". AND made new black lowers!! Here's a shot with no fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	028 (640x399).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	19554  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
There aren't a lot of brands that carry it. Colorrite does, if you want to pay an arm and a leg for mediocre paint. But, if matching spot on is important to you it's gonna cost a bit. Maybe buy the colorrite paint and bring it to your painter.

The black doesn't look bad though. Slap a Vulcan logo on that fairing and I honestly think it would look pretty good, without the expense of painting it to match. Otherwise, let your painter have a go at it. He may be able to get it pretty close!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Red
Touchupdirect.com is also now available, at less cost. Might be worth a look.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Find a custom shop that mixes their own color through a color match system. They use a camera like device that they set on your clean surface that you want to match and take 4 to 6 sample shots. They then download this info into a computer that analyzes the sample data, averages the samples and provides a recipe for the proper mix. I'm aware of one such shop here just 4 or 5 miles down the road from me that does this and I live out in the country. I've seen them match old faded paint so that you couldn't tell a difference. They're quite popular with the insurance companies.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Find a custom shop that mixes their own color through a color match system. They use a camera like device that they set on your clean surface that you want to match and take 4 to 6 sample shots. They then download this info into a computer that analyzes the sample data, averages the samples and provides a recipe for the proper mix. I'm aware of one such shop here just 4 or 5 miles down the road from me that does this and I live out in the country. I've seen them match old faded paint so that you couldn't tell a difference. They're quite popular with the insurance companies.
its the only way if you want it done well .... tell them to remember the base color ... it all can be done. Two tone with pin striping.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Syko - What's the name of that shop in case I ever need their services?

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Painters guy tried the 20k camera on the front fender and could not find a flat enough spot to get a good reading. Then he had me ride to Baxter auto. Their camera got a picture on the rear fender. Painter says the camera is wrong many times and he custom matches from there. The pin stripe seems to be a problem. Whiting 57, is your pin stripe tape? or painted on?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage

Paint matching is on my list of things to do as well, as you can see! But so is a fairing, and a trailer. I've got a guy who is going to do the painting, but he says it'll be cheaper to do everything at once so I'm gonna wait until I have the fairing and trailer. (Been slowly piecing this bike together!) I was inspired by Whiting some time ago to do a paint-matched trailer, I love the idea.

But black matches pretty nicely because there's a lot of black on the bike (black seat, etc.), so I don't think it's too bad right now. If I were you, I'd either find someone who can match it well or leave it black. I, personally, think the black accessories look better than poorly matched ones.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
The pin stripe seems to be a problem. Whiting 57, is your pin stripe tape? or painted on?

Tape .. under the clear coat ... and its a spot on match .... mine was done by a regullar "fix it" franchise body shop .. not custom painter ... he scanned the tank and the fender side ......., fairing and bags $699, trailer $699 ... i left him the front fender to check the match.

some body shops do not like doing bikes. some do, my guy wont do boats.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 03-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I needed some paint work done on my scoot and the guys I have been using for all my paint and body work for twenty years wouldn't touch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode