Legality of LEDs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Legality of LEDs

Has anyone had any run ins with the police due to LEDs. Not blinkers or headlights, but engine kits. I'm nervous of hassle(Mi).

If you did put a kit on your bike, what color and where did you get it from?

Thanks!!

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT

Cobra Pipes
Cobra Fi2000r
Cobra Billet Tachometer
Mustang Seat with Mustang Passenger Backrest
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake
Engine Guard
Kuryakrn Grips
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Passenger Floorboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Bichm03. Down here in fl. I have had not trouble.As long as you don't look like a police or fire truck you should be fine. I have led extra tail and brake and also led fog on the front. I have white led under the tank to light the motor.I got them on ebay.300 on a roll.It was $6 something and free ship.Don't buy one of those kits for $100+.Do it youself and save a lot of money.If I can do it any one can.Have fun with it.And have a great ride.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Garage
Not much trouble here in Wisconsin. Just stay away from red and blue LED's. I have amber under my bike, and have never had a problem. But amber is legal to see from all directions here. Every state has different laws, and every cop a different opinion.
I got them off amazon. It was a pre assembled kit for bikes and had 6 strips a control modual with brightness and flash modes and a wireless controler for $65

When in trouble, when in doubt, hit the trottle scream and shout.

Last edited by Grizz; 03-09-2013 at 05:03 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Just FYI, I posed this question to my brother in law a couple months ago (an LEO). And he says, at least in Missouri, all underglow LEDs/neon are illegal. Accent lights, that sort of thing. His department has started cracking down on it and stopping people and giving warnings or tickets, since it seems a lot of folks are under the misinformation that as long as it's not red or blue it's okay, which isn't the case.

That said; most folks I know who have them use them all the time and have never once run in to an issue. My wife has them on her bike, though she doesn't use them when she's on the road really.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here in Ga., I run mine all the time, and they are red. Have been through Ohio, Pa., W.Va., Indiana, Ky., Tn., and Alabama at niht with them and never had them questioned, but am sure they are not legal in any of these states. I have them powered through my tail lights, but can turn them off if I choise. Mostly they are on when the key is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6865.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	18921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8971.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	18929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9054.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	18937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9934.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	18945  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Legality of LEDs

I have blue leds and haven't ha any issues while riding with them on in Pa.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Galaxy Silver
12 inch ape hangers
Hard-Krome 2.5 Inch Strippers
Saddleman Explorer 2up seat
Kuraykn Iso Grips
Cobra Short Backrest
Jafrum Leather Saddle Bags
12v Power Point
114 Blue Leds
One Fat Ride!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Top Contributor

Put a set of blue ones on the wife's VN 900, drove it to TN, got stopped by a trooper in downtown Johnson City,TN who was offended by the lights. When I paraphrased the TN motor vehicle code's statute on this very thing, I reminded him these lights were neither strobing or flashing and were therefore not a violation. He then told me how much of a favor he was doing me my not writing a citation. LOL, law enforcement, ya' gotta love 'em.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark edward marchiafava View Post
Put a set of blue ones on the wife's VN 900, drove it to TN, got stopped by a trooper in downtown Johnson City,TN who was offended by the lights. When I paraphrased the TN motor vehicle code's statute on this very thing, I reminded him these lights were neither strobing or flashing and were therefore not a violation. He then told me how much of a favor he was doing me my not writing a citation. LOL, law enforcement, ya' gotta love 'em.
You may want to look though (though you probably have). In MO, if you have strobing or flashing lights (any color except amber, and there are restrictions in where amber flashing lights can be), it's a moving violation. If you are blatantly flashing red and blue attempting to stop people it could be a felony l(impersonating)

Not flashing or strobing is not a moving violation, leading many to believe it is "legal". While true it's not a moving violation, it IS an equipment violation (similar to a burned out taillight or an illegal headlight). So you CAN still get a ticket for solid blue or solid white or any other color "accent lights".

But again, most places it's rarely enforced.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I can't speak for other states but here in NY motorcycles have been declared a missed revenue opportunity. So lots of things we used to get away with are now being ticketed; strictly for the cash value. Loud pipes, upright plates, non-DOT helmets, accent lights. A friend got pulled over and warned about his LED running lights. They were "nearly" as bright as the break light and the cop told him he could be ticketed.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Ordered!!

Thank you for all the feedback.

I just ordered this kit so I can drive with it white or amber, then I can switch to multicolor parked.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/Advanced...hting-Kit.aspx

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT

Cobra Pipes
Cobra Fi2000r
Cobra Billet Tachometer
Mustang Seat with Mustang Passenger Backrest
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake
Engine Guard
Kuryakrn Grips
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Passenger Floorboards
Sponsored Links