Speedo fix? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Speedo fix?

Hello,

I just bought a 2007 custom and had to drive 140 miles home. My wife was following in our car. when we got home I told her I was doing 75 most of the time. She said she was only going 67-68. Is ther some kind of fix for this discrepancy? Is the odometer wrong also? I know this isn't the most expensive bike out there but it seems that Kawasaki has a number of quality issues with the vibrations, fuel gage and speedometer calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 AM

I found this on another forum:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...00-speeds.html
Hope this helps.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. It helps to know that I'm not alone. I'm not sure but if someone is really capable they could design a new face for the speedo that would have a designed in reverse error. If the face were then easy to replace we all could simply read the speed like you would expect.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
My speedo is actually closer to 15% off. I recently finished a trip where i would be cruising down a posted 75mph highway at 90 on my speedo and radar cops never batted an eye at me... i was in reality only doing around 77mph.

Kawasaki intentionally builds a 10% discrepancy in the speedo and my dealership said the only way i could get away from the 15% error was to replace it with a 10% error speedo. No thanks. I like the idea of the pulley fix a lot better.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
Thanks for the link. It helps to know that I'm not alone. I'm not sure but if someone is really capable they could design a new face for the speedo that would have a designed in reverse error. If the face were then easy to replace we all could simply read the speed like you would expect.
The faces are easily replaced. In fact, there's a thread in the 900's forum about custom graphic faceplates. Now... Not sure how easy it would be to reverse the error about reporting speed, as it's a percentage type of issue. That means each speed mark would need to be spaced differently, and as the variance can be between 7-10% commonly, it would have to be a per-bike type of creation.

Also, it's not just Kawi's, but Zukes, Hondas, Yamahas... even my daughter's Argo scooter and her friend's Kymco scooter. It just seems common to foreign 2-wheelers, as they're very afraid of the hefty fines charged by the US and other countries should the speedo happen to read slow. The Speedo Healer is a common fix, as are front pulleys, rear pulleys (I hear Myron's rear pully ROCKS), and larger tires.

Now the GAS guage, that one just baffles me. There shouldn't be an issue there, IMO, but I've gotten used to just filling up according to the trip ODO.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Buy a SpeedoHealer (http://www.healtech-electronics.com/) It works great.

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Cheers,

Crooksie
2006 900LT (Black & Red)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM

It's a bike; the speedo is supposed to be off !
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Found out with my GPS my bike is off 8 MPH at 70 mph...Speedo showed 78 when GPS was at 70, and my GPS matches whiten 1 mph on other cars I have, or have driven. So I bought a GPS just for my bike, which I needed anyways, and will use it's MPH as my speedo.

07 Vulcan Classic LT 900 Red & Titanium

Last edited by HeUeR; 05-15-2010 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeUeR View Post
Found out with my GPS my bike is off 8 MPH at 70 mph...Speedo showed 78 when GPS was at 70, and my GPS matches whiten 1 mph on other cars I have, or have driven. So I bought a GPS just for my bike, which I needed anyways, and will use it's MPH as my speedo.
I would rather use a GPS or just know the % error than use a speedohealer. I looked at the speedohealer web site and they admitted that the odo was accurate in stock form and that putting the speedohealer would throw it off. I would rather have an accurate odo as it makes it easier to calculate gas mileage and distance traveled. They did criticize the lag of a GPS, but I don't notice much of a lag in the one in my car. I like my chances using a GPS unit to keep me from getting tickets more than with any analog speedo.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I looked at the speedohealer web site and they admitted that the odo was accurate in stock form and that putting the speedohealer would throw it off. I would rather have an accurate odo as it makes it easier to calculate gas mileage and distance traveled.
I have the Speedohealer and I agree that the Odometer is now out but it isn't much. It shows that I have travelled 97 miles for every 100 miles.

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Cheers,

Crooksie
2006 900LT (Black & Red)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode