how hard do you ride your 9's? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

how hard do you ride your 9's?

So hard do you guys ride. it seems like ever since i learned that our 9's like to rev high, ive been riding her harder. well, as hard as conditions will allow me to. i have no plans on any pulleys to lower the rpms. its just seems to me that our 9's love to be riden hard. what are your thoughts or experiences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I dunno, I guess every once in a while I spin that motor up to see how she'll do. But I'm not that into riding hard like that. I'm kind of a 'grandpa' rider, I just enjoy sitting back and enjoying a comfortable ride. I have a lot more fun laying into corners and pulling out of them with V-Twin torque (the good corners you never go very fast anyway!) than I do opening it up with straight line speed.

I always thought if I had the need for speed, I'd just buy an old beat-up sportbike for a grand or so off of Craigslist. I find them all the time. An old 600cc Kawasaki or something, some teenage kid will buy it as his first bike, wreck it, then sell it on Craigslist for $1000. Plenty of them still run and ride fine, just cosmetic. But that way I could get a little speed and serious cornering done, and go back to my cruise for the rest. But; I really never have been that in to going fast. I rode my buddies ZX-10 and I never really opened it up, I rode it like my cruiser.

But that's me. If you're not afraid to let the motor spin, that 9 will really surprise you. Alot of folks who complain about it's performance, I think, are shifting around 4 or 5k RPM's like it's some big pushrod twin. That thing redlines near 80000 RPM's, let it get there! I do try to, once every month or so, get up to second gear and then peg it at the rev limiter, just to get a 'feel' for what the rev limiter sounds like, so that when I do open it up I shift right before it starts to bounce; where that motor likes to be.

For the record, the one time I ever 'raced' I went stoplight to stoplight with a friend on his 88" Harley Road King. I dunno how far it was, I hit 65mph before I hit the brakes. I was ahead of him until I braked, I suppose he technically 'won' since he braked later and harder, but we were just having fun. Point is, that 900cc V-Twin, when allowed to reach the top of it's powerband, beat a 1500cc Harley twin. Personally, I'm not a fan of racing bikes on the street and stuff. And again, that's not what I bought the bike for. BUT, I mean, everyones gotta open it up once right?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
But that's me. If you're not afraid to let the motor spin, that 9 will really surprise you. Alot of folks who complain about it's performance, I think, are shifting around 4 or 5k RPM's like it's some big pushrod twin. That thing redlines near 80000 RPM's, let it get there! I do try to, once every month or so, get up to second gear and then peg it at the rev limiter, just to get a 'feel' for what the rev limiter sounds like, so that when I do open it up I shift right before it starts to bounce; where that motor likes to be.
Yeah. I have not ridden the 9s (but I have the 1600 mean streak) like that but I have heard other ride them hard. That engine will hit RPMs that my V2K would self destruct at. I believe it red lines around 5k.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

Last edited by SWVA_08V2k; 03-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
By the way, that was a typo. The redline is around 8,000, not 80,000. Boy, 80k RPM's would be a sight on a 900cc V-Twin.

I have a small, .46 size R/C airplane engine in some of my smaller planes that will spin close to 20k RPM's,

This isn't me, but it's the same motor;

Those things sound awesome at high RPM's! (Better in person, sounds like a weed eater in the video)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
By the way, that was a typo. The redline is around 8,000, not 80,000. Boy, 80k RPM's would be a sight on a 900cc V-Twin.

I have a small, .46 size R/C airplane engine in some of my smaller planes that will spin close to 20k RPM's,

This isn't me, but it's the same motor;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJBCR5BfF8

Those things sound awesome at high RPM's! (Better in person, sounds like a weed eater in the video)
I use to fly rc , my favorite was the gentle lady glider

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:40 PM

How hard I ride depends on my mood at the moment. I spend a lot of time out puttering down a country road taking in the sights and never going over 55 or so and getting 50+ mpg. On the other hand, I recently started riding again after a 25 year hiatus. I raced in my early days and only knew stopped and wfo back then so I still have to let her out on occasion from a standing start to the limit at about 35 mpg. I have no trouble knowing how hard I've been pushing by simply checking mileage. Generally I ride somewhere in between the two extremes, but I'm not afraid to let her eat. You have to love the sound when wide open and pulling hard from around 5500rpm on up.

And on the subject of R/C, the young man in the vid did more damage to that little motor during his demonstration than I've done in many hours of flying.

Last edited by Old Syko; 03-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Other than the occasional fast acceleration up on the freeway, or around slower traffic, I am cruising. Love the way this bike rides down the highway or byways.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM

I like to run speed limit, lean back, put up the feet enjoy ride and the view. I don't have to get anywhere in a hurry. I just have to get there. Every time one of those big duallys go by me I am reminded of the price of gas. Go get'm! Considering where I live and the roads I have at my disposal I feel very lucky to have a motorcycle.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
How hard I ride depends on my mood at the moment. I spend a lot of time out puttering down a country road taking in the sights and never going over 55 or so and getting 50+ mpg. On the other hand, I recently started riding again after a 25 year hiatus. I raced in my early days and only knew stopped and wfo back then so I still have to let her out on occasion from a standing start to the limit at about 35 mpg. I have no trouble knowing how hard I've been pushing by simply checking mileage. Generally I ride somewhere in between the two extremes, but I'm not afraid to let her eat. You have to love the sound when wide open and pulling hard from around 5500rpm on up.

And on the subject of R/C, the young man in the vid did more damage to that little motor during his demonstration than I've done in many hours of flying.
Yeah, the purpose of the video was the sound. He sure did like to run that thing WOT lean though, which on a two stroke glow motor is bad bad ju-ju.

I've got a nice remote needle on mine. I was cringing with how close his fingers got to that 15k RPM prop. Remote needles are really nice for making adjustments a safe distance from the prop, especially when you've got fat and clumsy fingers like me. Either way, he left it at top speed, which is fine for a bench, but no good for flying. I always set mine 3 to 4 clicks rich on the bench, so that 2 or 3 thousand feet above the ground it's not running super lean and destroying bearings and overheating the motor!

I told a guy that one time, who had set his a click LEAN in fact. He didn't believe me. He flew for about 6 minutes, and his motor siezed up right there in mid air! (not just dead stick from running too lean, the thing was hard to turn and made some awful noises just rotating the prop on the ground, naturally- wouldn't start. Glow plug was burned up too)

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

90% of the time im riding within the limits of the law. but the other 10% is really fun. i dont need my bike to go 150mph, but it is enjoyable letting her open up. i have yet to hit the rev limiter so im not pushing that hard. i just love feeling the low end torque take hold. My 9 feels like a whole new bike after i put on a set of biltwells tracker bars. really pushes me back in my seat when i give the throttle a nice twist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode