Oil spit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Oil spit

Ok I noticed some drops of oil on my exhaust on the rear exhaust pipe not the front pipe (the one closes to the seat), right at the bend. it is inline with the air filter where the spits are some times found. I did read some where that the air filter is known to have some oil in it sometimes . so wondering if any one has had this problem as finding oil on the exhaust. I bought the bike used and the last ownner did deffale the bike I would say to stage 2 with just the 8 drill holes. She does backfire if I come off the throlle real fast.
So is this a concern? should I buy a FI like a fi2000

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
As far as tuning, every bike, climate, and person is different. The only person who can tell you if you need a fuel processor is someone with the skills and tools to tell if your air/fuel mixture is correct. That said, GENERALLY, a bike that has been debaffled but has a stock intake does not TYPICALLY need a fuel processor. You may try to bump up your idle a bit. That usually fixes it. I've found that most folks have their idle fairly low, which seems to cause the popping. Also, FWIW, I get popping if I use high octane fuel. If I use regular 87 (what Kawasaki recommends) I don't get any popping. There are a few threads on that topic already (octane) explaining why that might be.

Now; on to the oil. Yes, it's "normal". Basically, oil is blowing out of the breather into the intake, which itself has places to drain moisture or oil from, that probably just got blown back on your pipes while riding. It can happen if you overfill the engine with oil, or at really high RPM's. (The former can make the latter worse). I wouldn't be concerned as long as you don't see any places where oil is coming from other than the air intake. I bought a measuring cup from wally-world to measure out 1/2qt. That way I put in 3.5qts when I change the oil instead of 'eyeballing it'. That has saved me a lot of cleanup, as I tended to err on the 'overfull' side than the 'underfull' side, and that meant an oily right side of my engine.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Ernie,
If you overfill your oil; it will blow into your airbox.

First thing I would do is take off the right side cover and clean it up.
If there is a lot of oil inside; that is likely your problem.

Check your oil; if it is over the sight glass, I would try to drain a bit.

Hope that is all it is.

BTW, can I pick up a dozen bikes?

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Top Contributor

which Kaw only takes 3.5 qts?
Both our V2K and VN 900 ask for 91 octane.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark edward marchiafava View Post
which Kaw only takes 3.5 qts?
Both our V2K and VN 900 ask for 91 octane.
The VN900 calls for 3.5qts of oil in a change.

This has been covered many many times on this forum, but the 91 octane is 91RON. That's a different way of measuring it than we use here in the US. In the US we use RON+MON/2. 91RON=87R+M/2. There are a few threads on the subject. I can't speak for the V2K, but I know for a fact that the VN900, under the seat, calls for 91RON. The US version of the owners manual clarifies 87 R+M/2.

It's basically like kmh vs mph. One person might say "The VN900 tops out at 180" while another scratches their head and says "No it's only 110!" only to find out Person A was refering to 180km/h and person B was referring to 110mph. Same speed, just measured differently.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
As far as tuning, every bike, climate, and person is different. The only person who can tell you if you need a fuel processor is someone with the skills and tools to tell if your air/fuel mixture is correct. That said, GENERALLY, a bike that has been debaffled but has a stock intake does not TYPICALLY need a fuel processor. You may try to bump up your idle a bit. That usually fixes it. I've found that most folks have their idle fairly low, which seems to cause the popping. Also, FWIW, I get popping if I use high octane fuel. If I use regular 87 (what Kawasaki recommends) I don't get any popping. There are a few threads on that topic already (octane) explaining why that might be.

Now; on to the oil. Yes, it's "normal". Basically, oil is blowing out of the breather into the intake, which itself has places to drain moisture or oil from, that probably just got blown back on your pipes while riding. It can happen if you overfill the engine with oil, or at really high RPM's. (The former can make the latter worse). I wouldn't be concerned as long as you don't see any places where oil is coming from other than the air intake. I bought a measuring cup from wally-world to measure out 1/2qt. That way I put in 3.5qts when I change the oil instead of 'eyeballing it'. That has saved me a lot of cleanup, as I tended to err on the 'overfull' side than the 'underfull' side, and that meant an oily right side of my engine.
ok Bump the idle up that worked like a charm!!

I wiped the oil off and cleaned all parts no oil was found this morning after getting to work

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode