Classic or Custom??? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Classic or Custom???

My first bike was a Vulcan 800 Classic and I loved that bike...I sold it and got a sport bike big mistake, but it's a process finding the bike you want i guess.

I have made the decision to get a Vulcan 900, however the more I look the harder it is to decide between the Classic and the Custom.

I don't do short rides, I usually do day rides 10-12 hours long. I also do a couple of 3-5 day road trips a year. I will be getting an aftermarket saddle for sure.

I like the look of the Custom, but the Classic looks like it may be more comfortable for longer rides. I usually ride alone, but may take my wife for the odd 2-4 hour ride. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Based on your criteria list, I would be leaning toward the Classic. If for just the long trips, long day & multi day, but having your wife on the back, she'll be more comfortable on the larger pillion of the Classic. I am more comfortable in the riding position of the Classic on longer rides. JMHO...

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Top Contributor

For long trips like that would you be better off with a bigger bike? But if staying with a 900 then the classic. Wider front tyre and it all just looks better (imo).

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

My two pennies, go with the Classic. I have and 07 900 LT and love it. Does me well on my 1000+ miles rides along with my daily 90 mile roundtrip work commute.

You can go with the base Classic model and customize it to suit your needs. Or you can go with the LT model and only have to change out the seat for those longer rides until you figure out what you want to change/upgrade.

Unlike fawlty99's question, I would recommend sticking with the 900. A bigger bike can be more comfortable out of the gate. With a different seat and some customizing to your needs/tastes, the 900 ends up be equally well in the confort and cargo categories. Where you pay is in the initial price of the larger bikes along with the long term fuel costs. This year I was looking at upgrading to the Voyager. However, seeing that it "required" 89 octane fuel (up from the 87 for the 900) and the lower gas milage (35 estimated for the voyager versus 45 estimated for the 900), I opted to invest in pieces and parts to make mine a mini-bagger. Still waiting on some parts to come in but you can look at bosco's signature picture to get an idea of what I am going for.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Classics are a little more comfortable for rider and passenger, specially LT types that comes with all attachments for mid / long trips.

The classic has what i call "better geriatric riding position", hehehehehe

The custom is a little agressive, but you will ride like hell on it, taking curves is simply delicious and have a real custom look, itīs beautiful for itself not for the accesories on it.

CUstomīs front tire makes the bike more manuverable but you feel more the road damages (holes, etc).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the comments.

I knew someone was going to say "get a bigger bike". My brother and one of my riding buddies have Vulcan 1500's and another has a Nomad so I've ridden bigger bikes. I never had a problem keeping up with them or being comfortable with my V800C so I don't know why It wouldn't be similar with the 900. It really boils down to $$$ with me, I can get a nice 900 for 2-3K less than the bigger bikes. I can put that in the gas tank and ride...that's what I'm after.

I had heard somewhere that due to weight and other factors the 900 actually is slightly less powerful feeling than my old 800....does anyone know if that is a fact or just heresay?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnKiKe View Post
Classics are a little more comfortable for rider and passenger, specially LT types that comes with all attachments for mid / long trips.

The classic has what i call "better geriatric riding position", hehehehehe

The custom is a little agressive, but you will ride like hell on it, taking curves is simply delicious and have a real custom look, itīs beautiful for itself not for the accesories on it.

CUstomīs front tire makes the bike more manuverable but you feel more the road damages (holes, etc).
I'm assuming you must ride the custom? That's what I was after, is the custom a better handling or feeling bike...in terms of rider feel with the road. I do like to ride not just sit there. Have you taken the custom on any trips? Have you added upgrades like seat or racks/luggage? How about wind protection?

Thanks!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I ride a'07 Custom and from looking at stats and part numbers I've come to the conclusion that the only real difference is the front wheel and floorboards. You already said you're going to replace the seat and I know that Mustang sells the same seat regardless of which model you have. The driver peg assemblies are a bolt for bolt swap for the Classic's boards. So the leg position can't be much different. Personally I like pegs so 400-500 mile days are comfortable for me but some prefer boards. Although I like the look of all of the 9ers, I still fall in love all over again every time I pull the cover off that front wheel.

Oh yeah, the drag bars on the Custom mean you can't adjust bar position. That could be an issue for some.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I ride an LT 06; I just finished riding with a bunch of people on HD's and one other Vulcan doing a 216 round trip on twisties. Had very little problem keeping up with all the HD'S with my 900 LT. Yes the bigger bikes can rip up a highway real quick if you’re looking for speed. My take on it is taking it slow and easy. If I was travelling all over the country I would of bought a bigger bike. But I do both I commute to work and will be making trips this season.

I think with the bigger bike I would use it less on my commutes and I would end up as a weekend Warrior. I could not see myself running to the store or to the market with a large bike LOL. So I found the 900 to be able to meet both of my needs and not be something that I bought that looks pretty in my garage. The LT model also had everything I needed. I didn’t have to fork out a ton on bags etc., it is standard on the LT. So if you’re looking for something to ride with very little Mods the LT over the classic for features. If you’re looking for something that rides sweet, good on gas, reliable, and you’re going to use every day with an occasional trip then the 900 is a great fit.

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
For 2-up all day riding; I would go with the LT.

The stock seat on the 900 isn't great for the rider; but is TERRIBLE for the passenger. The pillion seat on the custom is worse.

Any aftermarket seat that is going to provide hours of comfort for your wife is going to look out of place on the custom.

The bigger bike advice may not be just about CCs.
Dual adjustable air shocks with four way damping beats the snot out of that mono-shock on the 9.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode