First Coolant Change - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile First Coolant Change

2009 Classic 9,700 miles - bought new in 2011. Just wanted to say - with the aid of this forum, performing maintenance is a breeze via the post by VN900 forum members! I have the shop manual but having input from experience can't be beat! Thanks to all - if I ever have a problem with the 900 I know where to turn! Hatchcover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Sure does help doesn't it! Nice way to save a buck or two too. My VN900 is my first bike, and boy did I have some sticker shop when I saw what it cost to maintain my bike. On my car, anymore I have my oil changed instead of doing it myself. Reason being? It literally costs like 2 or 3 dollars more for the same oil and filter I was already using at the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I'm in and out in like 5 minutes, and I don't have to get dirty. It's worth 2 or 3 dollars not to have to do it myself! So when it was time for an oil change, I called around. Cheapest I found was $150! And that was for conventional oil! So instead, for around $40 I change it with a full synthetic and a premium filter myself. Yikes! I did the stator replacement for around $200 including an oil change; but found out to have a shop do it it'd be close to $1,200. That's just insane!

I'm sure the prices are reasonable; given the lower volume of maintenance done on these bikes (I've noticed areas where there is a longer riding season, thus more miles on bikes, and thus more maintenance being done, maintenance is cheaper). But, even so, having a shop manual and good folks to help you out sure saves a buck...

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Sure does help doesn't it! Nice way to save a buck or two too. My VN900 is my first bike, and boy did I have some sticker shop when I saw what it cost to maintain my bike. On my car, anymore I have my oil changed instead of doing it myself. Reason being? It literally costs like 2 or 3 dollars more for the same oil and filter I was already using at the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change. I'm in and out in like 5 minutes, and I don't have to get dirty. It's worth 2 or 3 dollars not to have to do it myself! So when it was time for an oil change, I called around. Cheapest I found was $150! And that was for conventional oil! So instead, for around $40 I change it with a full synthetic and a premium filter myself. Yikes! I did the stator replacement for around $200 including an oil change; but found out to have a shop do it it'd be close to $1,200. That's just insane!

I'm sure the prices are reasonable; given the lower volume of maintenance done on these bikes (I've noticed areas where there is a longer riding season, thus more miles on bikes, and thus more maintenance being done, maintenance is cheaper). But, even so, having a shop manual and good folks to help you out sure saves a buck...
Without a doubt! Been doing general maintenance on cars for years - the bike is new to me but you guys have made the transition from 4 wheels to 2 less daunting by far. Thanks Romans5.8

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Romans, I too gave up doing my own oil changes on my car for the same reason, but Valvoline Instant? I took my car there once, had to be around 2001. They wanted $79.99. I drove home and did it myself for $15. Now it would cost me more like $30 myself but I have Dunn do it for $39 when they rotate my tires. And I don't have to lay on my back in the driveway.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

You guys are missing the greatest value in doing your own maintenance, aside from saving $$$ and making sure it's done right (4 wheels or 2, we've all heard the horror stories, like overtightening/stripping drain bolts or neglecting to install filters with gaskets) - it's the zen-thing. How else to connect with your ride if you give it over to a stranger? On the occasions when I absolutely MUST leave my car with a mechanic, good though he may be (hasn't happened with my 900, or my previous bike, in 2.5 years of riding - yet) I always wish I could have done it myself.

I also agree that the list rocks! The depth and breadth of knowledge is stunning, and I'm always grateful for the guidance. Of course, I'm always buying more stuff on recommendations that are posted!

2008 VN900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode