Exhaust Question and Dilemma - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Question and Dilemma

Feedback Please:

I have a set of Hard Krome Strippers exhaust on my 2008 900 Custom. My bike also has a PCIIIusb and Hypercharger with K&N, it has been mapped from computer...no dyno (yet). I installed a pair of the Hard Kore Quiet Baffles from Smart Partz today and just took it for a ride through town, on the highway, up some big hills, and on some windy roads to see how they do.

Well the baffle inserts do make the overall sound of the bike lower, although I don't think the bike is much quieter. It seems to me that I don't have the same acceleration that I had before I installed them. It isn't bad, but I noticed on the hills that I couldn't accelerate and climb as before. I had a slight reduction in the "popping back" that I sometimes get, but nothing to get excited about. It also smells like my bike is now running richer, which is understandable, but I didn't think it was going to be quite so noticeable.

So this is my dilemma....I like the new sound over the former, higher treble bark. What I am concerned about is the mild decrease in acceleration and the richness that I have seemed to notice. Basically I'm not sure if I want or should keep them in since I don't know if the pros outweigh the cons. These baffle inserts have received good reviews from different forums that I have researched so that's why I'm a little perplexed.

Would adjusting my PCIII or having my bike dyno'ed help if I decided to keep these in? Also is there any concern to the motor by having these. The will be a pain to get out since I put a bead of silicone gasket maker around the end pipe (its what the instructions said).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM

get it dynoed
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser331
Getting it dyno'ed is a good idea but it sounds as if you know what you are sensing. If it smells more rich it probably is. Can you dial some of the fuel trim out of it? Lean it out by 10% - 15% and drive it. The A/F needs to be more rich when you have a full open exhaust. Generally full open or unrestricted gives more HP (with the proper A/F) and a more restricted gives back more TQ (with the proper A/F). HP gives us more top end and TQ gets us there quicker as well as climbs those long hills with out grabbing gears. It seems you are pretty familiar with your PCIII and it's programing. I am sure you can save the current program, so save it and tweak it. As far as hurting the engine I doubt those baffles will do that. The only thing that can really hurt it (besides lack of cooling and lube) is overly rich where you would be fouling out plugs and overly lean where it is melting plugs or causing detonation i.e spark knock, engine ping.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

To be perfectly honest, I don't understand the PCIII enough to mess with programming. My bike came with the pipes, hypercharger, and PCIII and from what I was told by the dealership it was mapped with the downloadable map taking into account the add-ons.

You definitely gave me good info. No one at the dealership seems to even understand how this stuff works themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode