Baffle "screens" - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Baffle "screens"

I have an '09 Classic, and I finally decided I'd take the first step toward "baffle reduction" and knock out the first screens on my bike. I went to drill out the first screen, and when I looked down the pipe, I saw a solid plug, not a screen. Not to be deterred (hell, I already had several tools out), I drilled out the screen/plugs with a 7/8" hole saw. Nice difference. Now I'll ride it around for a while (dirty job, but someone's gotta do it), and see if I wanna go to the next step of removing the cover and drilling holes in the baffle itself.

Anyway, I was wondering what's up with the solid plug instead of the screen? Any one know?

Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM

it diverts the air into the larger section of pipe helping control the sound that smaller tube you took it out of has sections of holes in it
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

So when it was a screen it did the same thing, but to a lesser degree? If so, I take it that the '09s are quieter when stock than previous years?

So far I like the sound (with just the plug removed). It's fairly quiet at idle and cruising speeds, but if I stand on it a little, it gets kinda loud.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 PM

there is only 1 screen, at the end of the baffle tube. beyond that theres the catalitic converter. like this:
(now, dont laugh at my diagram, i whipped this up in mere minutes, lol)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

On mine, the solid plug (not a screen) was located about in the middle of the tube, about where your Baffle Tube arrow points. I'm assuming this is so that all the exhaust is forced into the outer part of the baffle before it can re-enter the tube through the holes in the wall of said tube on the other side. Is this new? It doesn't seem to be a big deal, just a more complete "baffling" of the exhaust. Well, until I hacked out the plug anyway.

Rode all yesterday afternoon and last night, and I'm still happy with the sound.

I'd encourage all potential debafflers to go in steps. A guy who says cutting out the plug/screen makes little difference may have a different idea of what "loud enough" is than you.

By the way, your diagram looks right on the money.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM

that plug your talking about must be an addition on the 09's. ive never heard of it being in there. maybe you got an experimental exhaust! lol it does make sense though, from a "backpressure" point of view. like you said, to force it to go thru the holes in the tube. and here we just elimintate it all completely!! lol
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I did mine yeterday. Now that makes me second guess the system of debaffling. I have an '09 too. Does anyone know if the debaffling instuctions change for an 09'.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpr61 View Post
there is only 1 screen, at the end of the baffle tube. beyond that theres the catalitic converter. like this:
(now, dont laugh at my diagram, i whipped this up in mere minutes, lol)
lol finally someone put a diagram up so all can see .... my 09 had that plug too not the screen
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Mine too. I first knocked the plug loose. Then removed the baffle tube. Thewre is still a screen in there, but I like the sound that I have now. I could still remove the screen, but I don't want to do it now.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
De-baffled
Gauge fixed
Mustang Seat
Memphis Shades Batwing
Passenger floorboards
Trunk and luggage rack
Hard bags with racks
Chrome side covers
Wide blade levers (love 'em)
3 1/2 inch Risers
2004 VN750
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
Mine too. I first knocked the plug loose. Then removed the baffle tube. Thewre is still a screen in there, but I like the sound that I have now. I could still remove the screen, but I don't want to do it now.
are you refering to the second baffle plate cause i knocked mine out with a hammer and pry bar there are 4 light spot welds ... or the cat whick you need to drill out it cant be pryed out trust me i know i've been pounding on mine for weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode