tacho - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

tacho

i want to fit a tacho but want one in black that wont break the bank and is easy to fit any suggestions

2009 custom special edition
kuryakyn iso grips (black)
v&h twin staggered slash cuts (black)
la choppers intake (black)
cobra fi2000r
smoked lenses and tail light
highway hawk sissy bar (black)
highway hawk engine guard (black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have the chrome version of this one that I've been perfectly happy with - has a backlight, too. There are some other ones on ebay as well, some look to be smaller, but this one is a nice size, mounts right in the center of the handlebar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-TACHOM...0234ae&vxp=mtr

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM

A word of caution - I could not get any (I tried and returned 3 different brands) of the generic "dual-fire" tachs to work on my 900. I tried a Baron's adapter, and I tried a homemade adapter. Any configuration I tried resulted in needle bounce which made the device unusable. Reading various posts on this forum seemed to turn up the face that some people could get them to work without any issue, and others couldn't get any dual-fire tach to work.

The only solution that ended up working for me was the model-specific Cobra tach for the VN900. Spent $200 but since it looks factory I ultimately ended up being ok with that.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
A word of caution - I could not get any (I tried and returned 3 different brands) of the generic "dual-fire" tachs to work on my 900. I tried a Baron's adapter, and I tried a homemade adapter. Any configuration I tried resulted in needle bounce which made the device unusable. Reading various posts on this forum seemed to turn up the face that some people could get them to work without any issue, and others couldn't get any dual-fire tach to work.

The only solution that ended up working for me was the model-specific Cobra tach for the VN900. Spent $200 but since it looks factory I ultimately ended up being ok with that.
I ordered the 3" Baron tach with the black dial face. In installed easily, yes, it was showing hokey values before I installed the single/dual fire adapter, but since then it has worked perfectly. It is awesome, I ride by it, I rarely look at the speedo anymore.

The only gripe I have is that the light is weak at night and although it lights up the dial OK, I can't see the needle very well, well, almost at all. Maybe it would have worked better wiht the while dial, as someone suggested.

Other than that, the Baron tach works perfectly.

Go for it, you will not regret it. One of the best upgrades I have on the bike.

'07 Vulcan 900 Custom, Candy Fire Red
'05 Suzuki DR-Z 400s
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 AM

Is it possible to have pics of you tach installed?
thanks

Vance and Hines Slash-Cut Staggereds.
LA Chopper intake
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro (auto tune)
Hid head light
Wrap Around LED Fork Turn Signal
Integrated Tail and Turn Signal Kit
side mount plate
HANDLEBAR SANTEE 10" STRAIGHT-UP (harley handlebars)
black exhaust wrap
Kuryakyn BLACK ISO-GRIPS
Black Spear Custom Side Mirrors
Baron 1-2`` Lowering kit
Avon 230 and 90/90
Saddlemen Renegade Solo Seat
secondary butterfly remove
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaths View Post
Is it possible to have pics of you tach installed?
thanks
Indeed. This is a close-up that I took quickly with my phone in the garage tonight. Sorry for the bad quality but it gives you a rough picture, I hope. I can take nicer pictures once I take the bike outside during the daylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baron Tach 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	17177  

'05 Suzuki DR-Z 400s
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM

Here is my Cobra tach attached to the handlebar mount:

Sorry but I guess my finger was covering up part of the camera opening and it's too dark now to re-take the picture
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
I ordered the 3" Baron tach with the black dial face. In installed easily, yes, it was showing hokey values before I installed the single/dual fire adapter, but since then it has worked perfectly. It is awesome, I ride by it, I rarely look at the speedo anymore.

Other than that, the Baron tach works perfectly.

Go for it, you will not regret it. One of the best upgrades I have on the bike.
So you're using the single fire adaptor & no needle bounce? Mine bounces most of the time & occasionally is steady. It's far from unusable - just annoying. I had the adaptor behind the coil cover & then moved it away from the coil to see if that made any difference but it didn't. Could they have recently developed an adaptor that works properly?

Mine is a 2" tacho mounted between the bars and the instrument cowl. I'd have thought the 3" & 2" electronics would be identical.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT

Last edited by fawlty99; 02-26-2013 at 03:00 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
So you're using the single fire adaptor & no needle bounce? Mine bounces most of the time & occasionally is steady. It's far from unusable - just annoying. I had the adaptor behind the coil cover & then moved it away from the coil to see if that made any difference but it didn't. Could they have recently developed an adaptor that works properly?

Mine is a 2" tacho mounted between the bars and the instrument cowl. I'd have thought the 3" & 2" electronics would be identical.
If it bounces only occasionally, I'd check the electrical connections. It sounds like something intermittent.

Initially, I installed it without the adapter. The needle bounced here and there and when it was more or less steady it was showing double the RPMs (or was it half? I can't remember, this was like 3 years ago.. but it was either a half or twice the real RMPs).

Once I plugged in the adapter, it became rock steady and it works exactly as a good tacho should. I also have everything crammed under the ignition cover. I do not believe the location matters -- there should be no interference. If anything is sensitive, it should be (and is) shielded.

My electrical skills are likely below-average, but this was a 30 min installation for me...

If I were you, I'd try to double-check the connections in your installation. If nothing helps, call the Baron guys, I'm sure they will help you diagnose it (possibly a faulty adapter?)

'05 Suzuki DR-Z 400s
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
I have the chrome version of this one that I've been perfectly happy with - has a backlight, too. There are some other ones on ebay as well, some look to be smaller, but this one is a nice size, mounts right in the center of the handlebar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-TACHOM...0234ae&vxp=mtr
thanks gary w
this looks good to me did you wire straight into the headlight wires with the blue wire and which out of the the 2 negative wires of the coil did you connect to the black or the black and green sorry for the questions but this will be the first one i have fitted

2009 custom special edition
kuryakyn iso grips (black)
v&h twin staggered slash cuts (black)
la choppers intake (black)
cobra fi2000r
smoked lenses and tail light
highway hawk sissy bar (black)
highway hawk engine guard (black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page